Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

The worst Stephen King novel is whichever the 3rd or 4th non-Stand standalone one you read is, because that's about when you realize they're all basically the same mediocre novel over and over again and never read another. For me it was The Green Mile.

I don't know how you can say this with The Green Mile as an example. The Green Mile is drastically different than most of his other novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dr. Mulholland posted:

I really hope this is a joke. That's terrible.

It's not really haunted.

The story is more of a rehash/expanded of Word Processors Of The Gods

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

the_american_dream posted:

Good, theres no good way they couldve stretched that out into a movie.

I imagine it would have been one of the "dollar baby" short films.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Malaleb posted:

Oh, and I just started Misery and was hooked after just a couple of pages! Very different pacing from any of King's books that I've read so far.

That's because it was originally going to be a Richard Bachman book before he was exposed. Grab a copy of The Bachman Books if you haven't already.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some King news.

His next release is going to be a unpublished novella collection :gizz:

quote:

The moderator of the author's official site just posted on its message boards:

"I have been given permission to announce that Steve's next book titled FULL DARK, NO STARS, is a collection of 4 previously unpublished novellas and is expected to be released in November (possibly 9th, but that is subject to change). We will announce more details as they become available."

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=14167

And if you didn't know, his son, Joe Hill released a new novel yesterday.

Horns

http://www.amazon.com/Horns-Novel-Joe-Hill/dp/0061147958

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
To be fair, the synopsis for Heart-Shaped Box wasn't much better.

quote:

Ageing rock star Judas Coyne spends his retirement collecting morbid memorabillia, such as a witch's confession, a real snuff film, and, after being sent an e-mail directly about an item online, a dead man's suit. He is told, by the daughter, that the old man's spirit is attached to this funeral suit, and will go wherever it does, and so buying this suit would effectively be buying a poltergeist. Judas cannot pass up this opportunity, and soon the suit arrives in a heart shaped box. After various odd occurances happening to not only himself, but also his 'girlfriend', nicknamed 'Georgia', at the time, his assistant, Danny, and even his dogs, he realises that he did not choose this suit - it chose him, and it belonged to the father, Craddock McDermott, of a suicidal groupie, nicknamed 'Florida', Judas cast aside years ago. The father's dying wish was to be allowed to seek revenge on this rock star who caused his little girl to die. Judas now has to come up with a plan to save himself, and those around him, before Craddock has his posthumous revenge.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tom Ripley posted:

After King is dead his son should write a book where King keeps writing books as a ghost and lets his son publish them

so loving meta you can't even comprehend it

Actually, Joe Hill has a story kind of like that in the end of 20th Century Ghosts.

quote:

Elena’s father died an unpublished, unsuccessful writer. But his dream of literary success didn’t die with him, and one night not long after his passing, his electric typewriter comes banging back to life, spinning new stories all on its own.

http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=1535

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody read Mile 81 yet?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jealous Cow posted:

Have any of you been watching Hulu's "The Booth at the End"?

It has a serious King short-story vibe to it. The new season just started, and a storyline involving a character from the previous season has be convinced the writers of the show are a big fan of King's and have written in the Low Men.

Is that actually any good? I was completely turned off by the fact it looked like it took the genius diner scene from Mulholland Drive and turned it into a short series.

https://vimeo.com/19215499

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

So the cover art for the hardcover of Doctor Sleep has been revealed, and I'm glad to see that all those people who did work for Clive Barker and World of Darkness back in the day can still manage to find employment.

It's a million times better than the three covers the limited edition received.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Did anybody mention how Stephen King's sons are both releasing novels soon. End of march, Owen King's Double Feature and late April for Joe Hill's NOS4A2

ravenkult posted:

The ending to ''The Mist'' was terrible. It's not a gently caress you to the audience, it's a ''these people are retarded.'' You run out of gas and so everyone kills themselves? Why? Why not try and and siphon some gas or take one of the hundreds of cars you passed on the way there and go on driving? If you can't do that, still, how big is the difference between shooting yourself and getting killed by a monster?

Then literally a minute later the army rolls up and is loving the monsters up and also the mist is clearing. Oh look, there's that mom that needed help getting home. She survived, no matter than anyone else that stepped out of the store got eaten within seconds. How ironic! Way to go special forces mom.

That isn't ironic, it's the entire point of the story.

There's two extreme groups. The people in the store that believe in Mrs. Carmody, who's spewing religious FUD about the end times, and our group of heroes, who are more pragmatic, that end up escaping.

Imagine being in the mist, driving until you ran out of gas and seeing the creatures they did. They had no resources and no idea if the mist ever ended. With only a few bullets left, do you risk trying to go outside into the unknown where you and everybody you love will (most likely) die a horrific death or do you let them go in as much peace as you can give them? They took the realistic way out. And the story spits in their face for doing it.

The ending specifically condemns anybody that surrenders to fear and gives up hope. That's the point of showing the mom from the beginning. She should be dead but it doesn't matter how she pulled it off because she never had a second thought about what she had to do (save her daughter) and she never gave up hope.

I agree that there should have been more time between the suicide and the mist clearing (they should have had it go on throughout the credits before having the coda play) but the ending fits well enough with novella.

hope

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

tliil posted:

Bullshit, there's always hope.

Which is exactly what the movie says.

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's two extreme groups. The people in the store that believe in Mrs. Carmody, who's spewing religious FUD about the end times, and our group of heroes, who are more pragmatic, that end up escaping.

Imagine being in the mist, driving until you ran out of gas and seeing the creatures they did. They had no resources and no idea if the mist ever ended. With only a few bullets left, do you risk trying to go outside into the unknown where you and everybody you love will (most likely) die a horrific death or do you let them go in as much peace as you can give them? They took the realistic way out. And the story spits in their face for doing it.

The ending specifically condemns anybody that surrenders to fear and gives up hope. That's the point of showing the mom from the beginning. She should be dead but it doesn't matter how she pulled it off because she never had a second thought about what she had to do (save her daughter) and she never gave up hope.

Hope wins. The lead loses.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 19, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

NikkolasKing posted:

I recall not one instance where anybody so much as looked at Flagg without shivering or feeling sick. I'm making a stab at finishing The Stand and I'm continuing where i left off, with Dayna's death.I cannot recall one single encounter with Flagg where the person didn't feel unsettled by his eyes or his grins or...anything really. Flagg can do nothing without making people feel like they're gonna die. And that's the difference between Randal Flagg and any despot you care to name. Flagg, in every action he takes, radiates malevolence. Because he is malevolence incarnate. The only thing people are grateful to him for is not killing them horribly.

Evil should not wear a big sign and that's what Flagg does. He oozes evil and there is no way I buy anyone siding with him unless they themselves acknowledge they don't care and are willingly malicious.

You're kinda forgetting that everybody who goes to Flagg's side is some combination of a) mentally ill b) vulnerable c) career criminal or d) opportunist. Trash Can Man dreams of Mother Abgail but she scares him and he scares her. The Kid is insane. Lloyd realizes what Flagg is but is in such a bad situation, he has no choice but to go with him. Julie's stupid and most likely an abuse victim. Harold's unable to let go of his past. Nadine was directly manipulated all her life. There's people in Vegas who realize how evil he is but think it's the winning team. Better to be with him than against him. Stray kids running around because its the first place to take care of them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hot sauce posted:

I've been reading The Stand for the past couple weeks and really love it. I'm about 40% through according to the kindle. What should I read next? The same friend who recommended The Stand told me to read the first Dark Tower book or Revival next. The only King books I've read are Misery and possibly a few others that were made into movies, although I may just have memories of seeing the movies.

Can't go wrong with The Shining. It's a whole different beast compared to the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pheeets posted:

Except the place where he spends his time when he's in Maine is also the place where he almost got killed, isn't it? I wonder what his place in Florida is like.

Literally a beachfront mansion in a very exclusive area.