Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about that part, I was thinking of when Roland saw a plane in the sky and thought something like "I hope no one decides to run those into something".

I'm pretty sure that line showed up in Drawing of The Three or Waste Lands, easily predating 9/11.

Bag Of Ghosts posted:

"The Cat From Hell" from Just After Sunset. This is a story about a hitman who is hired by a rich dude to kill his demon-possessed cat. The hitman puts the cat in a bag (this is the stupidest thing) and drives out to the river in order to drown the cat. But the cat claws its way out of the bag and kills the hitman by burrowing down his throat. The End.

If I remember correctly, The Cat from Hell was originally a men's magazine contest where King wrote the first 500 words and other people were invited to write endings. The version in JAS has the ending he whipped up in a few hours to see how it would play out, the winner of the contest supposedly wrote a much better one.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proffessor Rapeface posted:

Yeah, it's been said before but reading On Writing is really revealing in that it shows that King's greatest criticism (stories that start off strong but go on way too long and have disappointing endings) is a result of him not planning things out anymore. I imagine back when he wasn't so famous/best-selling that he was actually worried about a story not being published he went to a little more effort planning things out, hence why his older books don't have the problem as much.

He never really planned things out. In On Writing he said the only book he actually planned out was Insomnia.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Wow, really? It seems just as 'seat-of-his-pants' as his usual stuff.

And that's the reason he gave in On Writing (or maybe at an interview later) why he stopped trying to plan books.

Also Cujo was completely written during an extended drug-fueled bender and he has no recollection of wrtiting any of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

northerain posted:

4. Worked the accident into ''Kingdom Hospital'', the TV series. A writer gets hit by a car (a pickup with a dog in it).

Wasn't that in the original Dutch series he adapted? There's a lot of stereotypical King-isms in that show were in the original Dutch.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foppish posted:

But it wasn't...it was just a lazy shock ending and it cheapened the whole "Mist" scenario. Opened the gates of Hell/a portal to another dimension? No worries, the local militia will come by with flame throwers and take care of that demon infestation. :)

Not to derail too much but I always wondered what happened to the rest of the world. Where did the Mist stop? If it didn't stop how did areas far away deal with the encroaching fog? After all, news of it would have spread and weather agencies would have picked it up via satelite. Were certain areas able to "dig in" and protect themselves?

I'd love to read some well written expansions on that story...

They don't specifically say in the story, but we're able to tell where the mist reaches because areas within it seem to no longer be able to run radio broadcasts. The story mentions first the Bangor radio stations and then the stations down to Boston no longer broadcasting. However, when the main character runs out of gas and stops at a hotel at the New Hampshire/Maine border or somewhere around there, he hears a radio broadcast from Hartford, CT, which would seem to indicate the mist stopped somewhere south of Boston and north of Hartford.

And that's why the last line of the story is "One (word) is Hartford. The other is hope."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foppish posted:

Right, but they just say that the signal *somehow* got through, if it was a signal at all and not just him imagining things. I took that to mean that where ever the signal was coming from was "misted over" as well and managed to squeek through by some unlikely shifting of the mist and that it was likely someone else, marooned, trying to call out, although I can see your side of it as well.

Anyways, yeah I guess demon is the wrong word for the creatures-they're definitely mortal and the story goes a long ways in making them fallible (relying heavily on a highly attuned sense of smell, low intellingence, very much killable) but still, that doesn't account for the larger creatures the Nat'l Guard is assumed to have defeated in the movie rendition (tentacle horror, Goliath and the Giant Crab beast parked out front. It just seems like a quick fix.

Either way, I didn't mean for this derail to turn into an argument about what ending is "correct" as the movie ending could easily take place after the end of the book...I just think it is a great story because of the amount of speculation the ending invites the reader to take part in.

As to it just being a cheap shock-that's just me I guess, the original "cliff hanger" (if you want to call it that) seems more hopeless despite the last word being "hope". I always liked the thought that the mist was permanent, or if not permanent at least world changing.

I'd never heard about The Mist being the event that ushers in the world of the Gunslinger, but if so that's pretty neat.

I interpreted the fact that he was just barely able to hear the radio from Hartford and indicating that he was both 150 miles away from there, and the mist was probably covering at least half of the distance. We "know" Boston is covered by it because they're not able to be heard at all. If the Mist just reached past Boston, that means that half of the route to Hartford is through the mist.

Also there were larger beasts in the story, as the protagonist is driving down I-95 south, there's footprints big enough to swallow semis on the road...

In my opinion, the ending of The Mist the movie feels like what Stephen King would have written if the story had been a page or two longer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yeah, it's one of the few things you really can not take away from King. He's awesome at writing realistic dialogue. IT is a great example. It's one of the few books I've seen where the 11 year olds talk like real 11 year olds.

I used to think that the dialogue for the characters in his stories was a little unrealistic, but then I spent a summer in Maine. It's actually really neat how he captures the feel of a Maine accent in his writing without resorting to unreadable phonetic stuff for accents like some writers I could name.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd recommend popping down to your local library, taking out as many King books as you can and just going through until you find one you like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well it is a horror novel. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Honestly I chalk it up to the fact that Stephen King was a loving drugged-up junkie for a good decade straight. You really need to remember that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oddspelling posted:

Most of the burnouts I've known aren't obsessed with toe-headed preteens with SPECIAL ABILITIES and thier genetals; and they don't like/write chapters and endings of books that seem like they were xeroxed out of the NAMBLA magazine's short-fiction section.

Maybe you just didn't know any sever druggie authors? King doesn't remember writing any part of Cujo, it was all done in a blackout. Think how long it takes to write a 320 page book. Think how drunk/high you need to be to black out for that long.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CrankyProf posted:

Not to mention the fact that it was all psychological horror up until the last chapter or so, when he threw in the deranged, retarded, necrophiliac cannibal -- almost as a drat afterthought.

Wasn't that guy a figment of her imagination?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What was bad about Just After Sunset?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I never really saw anything really wrong with books 5-7 of the Dark Tower series. Some little things were kinda bad but on the whole they were good books.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kosherpickle posted:

well, right now on King's website is a very, very rough version a 60 page story he started, called The Cannibals, that is something he tried to write initially using the same idea but gave up on. It basically stops just before anything of interest happens but it was right up my alley, I am not bored by his bullshit.

I believe he's started this story no less than 6 times, The Cannibals being like the 3rd attempt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Evfedu posted:

I thought On Writing demonstrated why he'll never be as good as people like Pratchett or Banks (they both have their off days obviously, but bare with me). That whole segment he wrote where he laid out this belief system that the story exists and he can just sit down and write 2000-3000 words in a day then after a year or two he'll have the story.

I dunno, maybe there are people out there who can do that, but judging from the majority of his endings, he's probably not one of them (while sober, anyway).

Well King also says when he actually tries to plot things it turns out bad. His example is the novel Insomnia, and I got to agree with him there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
OR the dome goes down deep enough so that if they try to dig out they hit magma. :colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sigh posted:

I know the DK series has been talked to death, but here are my two cents:

I really, really loved the Dark Tower books from the beginning (first 3-4 books, at least, and I read them in High School, not that that is neither here nor there); slogged through books 5 and 6; and have literally been reading the last book for over 2 years -- sometimes chapter-by-chapter, but often page-to-page. I think I am about half-way through. Ugh. I feel I owe it to myself to finish it, but knowing it's bad does not help me get up the ambition to actually do so.

edit: I love and respect the hell out of Mr. King -- Hell, he was pretty much all I read in middle school. But that Last DK book.... Man...

I can't recall the name of the reader but whoever reads the DT7 audiobook is phenomenal and I really think makes the book a lot better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagingHematoma posted:

I thought the Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands was the best in the series so far. I am about 1/3rd of the way through Book 7 and I am enjoying it. Everything except Book 6 has been fine, although I found Wizard and Glass to be a bit long given the story it had to tell.

I am still not understanding the whole '19' thing. Can anyone explain?

There is nothing to explain, it's just a magic number there. Like how time doesn't work right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I recently listened to the Insomnia audiobook and frankly the book is more suited to audio format then printed by far.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
That'd be stupid, frankly.

Books 5-7 could use better editing thats all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Astfgl posted:

Didn't see this answered yet:

Stephen King's accident happened on June 19, 1999. As a result, the number 19 (and, to a lesser degree, the number 99) featured prominently in the remaining DT novels (so, #5 and onward). And they pretty much came out of nowhere, too. All of a sudden the ka-tet is obsessed with the numbers and they start cropping up EVERYWHERE.

I'm quite sure I recall seeing nineteen mentioned in a meaningful lane in The Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass, as well as some other pre-accident Tower-related books.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Didn't some books have retroactive Dark Tower references added?

Only the Stand did, but that was a good 5+ years before the accident.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I want an entire 100,000 page King book that consists solely of fleshing out a town and then utterly destroying it. Like at least a hundred towns, and just let King do what he does best.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Partyworm posted:

Are there other good SK books where the horror is almost all subtlely and suggestion rather than overt and over the top visual horror?

Most of his short stories.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Roadwork is great, yeah.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hedrigall posted:

I didnt get the kamikaze joke

Insomnia

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cheerfullydrab posted:

Would anyone else have enjoyed a Stephen King-involved anthology series of the Twilight Zone/Tales From the Dark Side/Tales From the Crypt/Outer Limits type which uses that freaky extra dimensional tale-telling club that appeared in only one of his stories as a framing device? Because I sure as heck would.

That club did show up a second time! I forget where the second time was, it might have been in Just After Sunset.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iostream.h posted:

It loving sucks. Worse than Cell. Worse than anything.

It sucked so bad I STILL haven't been able to bring myself to read Duma Key.

Man, you got to read Duma Key. It's basically the most early-King-ish book he's written since the accident.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
He said he did plan a few books, Insomnia and one other, and I think we can all see that planning doesn't change anything for him.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Local Group Bus posted:

I think it is. It's almost a campfire style. Or at least it used to be. Most of his novels can be started by, "This happened to a friend of mine," and when boiled down the plots were very simple.

I think there is an intimacy in Kings writing. Reading some of his novels feel like he is telling you the story himself and the pages sort of fall away. Old Grandpa is what I would call his style because it feels like you are listening to someone physically tell you a story.

But it is also his undoing I think. Once you lose interest in the story all you hear is someone meander on and tell you something that you are not switched on to. This is probably why a lot of people didn't like Lisey's Story or the latter part of the Dark Tower series.

The more distance King puts between himself and the reader - odd words, self insertion, manipulated actions by characters to get them to a certain position - the more you realise you are reading and that magic is lost.

The less he does it - when he welcomes you back to Castle Rock by sitting next to you and telling you about what's been happening in the town or when he throws you into Paul Sheldons mind during Misery - the more effective he is.

There is a reason that some of his best stories (Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, The Mist, The Long Walk, Dolores Claiborne) are told in first person and some of the poorer entries are told in third person or are broken up between them in the first and third person the way Christine was.

And on that note, I LOVE when he's reading the audiobook version of his books.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

"Eyes of the Dragon". I hate this book so much. It still hold the distinction of being the only book that I have physically thrown across a room. 10 bajillion chapters of buildup and....nothing. GAH!

To be fair, it's a fairy tale written for his then-14 year old daughter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oldpainless posted:

King specifically calls out adverbs ending in "ly" in On Writing. He basically says they suck and shouldn't be used and no good writer would resort to using them as a crutch. Like I said earlier, what happened to the guy who wrote On Writing that caused him to disregard all the rules and guidelines in his own later works?

The thing is he was also doing that poo poo before On Writing. I'm pretty sure somewhere in it he mentions that this is something along the lines of "do as I say, not as I do, because I have the luxury of being a famous author and you are just starting out and can't get away with what I do yet".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

juliuspringle posted:

Read the Taken or the Taking or whatever it is. It has all 3 Koontzian endings in one book.

Wolves of the Calla is where the Dark Tower jumped the billy-bumbler right? So far I have books 1-4 but I'm thinking of not getting the books after it goes to poo poo.

I would at least read the parts in 5 and 6 about the priest from Salem's Lot (heck take those out of 5 and 6 and they'd make an excellent short story or novella), and definitely read 7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Darwinism posted:

You don't have a problem with an apocalyptic book that just suddenly morphs, disjointedly, into a modern fantasy book about a magic deaf-mute and a magic evil dude with magic retard-followers. What?

Seriously the first part of the Stand is great but when it starts going magical I lost all hope in it being an actually good book.

As if a virus that kills 99.44% of the world and spreads everywhere in under a week isn't magic.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

I liked it, too. It was pretty much what I expected it to be. If readers were paying the least little attention to the theme of the story, they would have guessed it, too. I was surprised at how many people got pissed off.

I'd like to see the Dark Tower books rewritten as taking place after the end of the 7th, now that Roland has things a bit... different.

Leovinus posted:

All it boils down to is guy sees the future, tries to change the future, succeeds, is admonished by the Time Police.

click ♫ Never run away from the time police / you will not survive ♫

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 7, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Tommyknockers WAS a book about a village of magical retards yo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Automatic Jack posted:

That's the one. So he has dreams in which he really really wants to mess Jews up bad, and sinks progressively deeper into his twisted Nazi fantasies. Then in the end, he grabs a rifle and starts picking drivers off the highway or something, and the police take him down. I tried really hard to convince myself that one had anything to do with the other, but I gave up. Maybe someone here knows what the ending is supposed to mean.

Did you really miss how during the months he spent with the Nazi dude,he was killing bums at an increasing rate? Kid was a latent psycho just waiting for an excuse to really snap!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Stationary Bike is a novella length excuse to his wife for why Stephen King wants to not exercise as much as she says he should and also have some donuts and poo poo. :v:

I read it mostly as a light-hearted humorous thing. There's no way that Imaginary construction worker who clears up all the poo poo from the bad food you eat committing suicide because he can't get enough work due to you being healthy isn't funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NosmoKing posted:

Ya know why he wrote a book about Florida? Because he's done the snowbird thing the past few (several) years with his wife, with a place in FL for his winter stop.

This is also the same kind of reason why The Shining and a large chunk of The Stand are set in Colorado (temporary move out that way and all).