Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Glowskull posted:

That's the thing: I'm beginning to think this is true, and it's giving me a bit of a crisis. I've been doing a lot of self-directed, upper-level work with professors, and I'm beginning to realize I have a serious taste for it. She's an ugly mistress, but she's good in bed.

Which law schools did you get into, by the way? Because if they aren't good ones, that might be an even worse career choice for you than a doctoral program in English, believe it or not. At least those are generally free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Glowskull posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm having this dilemma.

Tier 2 with some money. Unless Temple decides to un-waitlist me (in-state tuition.) I'm aware of the terrible situation in the law profession right now. What you're saying was pretty near my line of thinking; if I'm going to be condemned to relative poverty, I may as well enter a field in which my credentials better qualify me, and that I will probably enjoy more.

Well Temple itself is Tier 2, and you get to compete with all the other graduates of elite northeastern law schools (as well as Penn State) for the dwindling supply of jobs in Philadelphia/Pittsburgh, presuming that's where you want to stay. Relative cheapness notwithstanding, I'd counsel against going to law school even if Temple does admit you, since you don't seem interested in the prospect of practicing law at all. $50,000-60,000 in debt for a career you'll probably hate and that won't pay well anyway seems like a bad choice compared to $0 in debt and a career you'll like even if the pay is also poo poo.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

How hard did you find it to land a tenure-track position at a college/university? All I ever hear from people I know who are or were planning to go into doctoral programs, especially in the social sciences, humanities, and English, is how horribly glutted with PhDs all these fields are and how many people get caught in a hellish cycle of adjunct work and their careers stall and go nowhere.

Did you find that you had to take extraordinary measures to get published early/go to an extremely good doctoral program to avoid this? Do you have friends from your time as a graduate student who are having similar career difficulties? What's your general opinion on whether or not it's practical to pursue a career as an academic if you aren't coming out of an absolutely top-flight program?

Any chance of letting us know where you got your PhD?

Also, what exactly is involved with consulting work as an English professor (which you mentioned before as a source of income for you?)