Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emys
Feb 6, 2007
What do you think of this? I came across it in a collection of Wittgenstein's marginalia.

quote:

The reason why I cannot understand Shakespeare is that I want to find symmetry in all this asymmetry.

His pieces give me an impression of enormous sketches rather than of paintings; as though they had been dashed off by someone who can permit himself anything, so to speak. And I understand how someone can admire that and call it supreme art, but I don't like it -- so if someone stands in front of these pieces speechless, I can understand him; but anyone who admires them as one admires, say, Beethoven, seems to me to misunderstand Shakespeare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emys
Feb 6, 2007
Great, great thread, Brainworm.

What do you think is the significance of the third murderer in Macbeth?

emys
Feb 6, 2007
Did you take a break after undergrad? If so, what did you do? Would you recommend it?

emys
Feb 6, 2007
What do you think of Pericles? It didn't really do anything for me. Is there anything deeper going on there?

Also, whose song lyrics do you admire the most?

emys
Feb 6, 2007
What are your thoughts on Freudian criticism? Especially on using Freud with pre-1800 literature.

emys fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 25, 2009

emys
Feb 6, 2007
You've talked about understanding the motivations of a book's characters. What about authors that don't go in for psychological realism?

emys
Feb 6, 2007
I don't know, Brainworm. You're being a bit hard on St. John's. (It's actually not a Catholic college by the way. The name's a bit of a misnomer.) It's hard to judge which 20th century intellectuals will have real staying power. Isn't it better to focus on the stuff we know people will still care about and think about in a hundred years?

emys
Feb 6, 2007
OK, Brainworm, one of the themes of this thread has been the importance of understanding literary works as responses to other literary works, as part of a tradition. If you were going to argue against this position, what would you say? Why doesn't everyone take your line?

emys
Feb 6, 2007
Brainworm, you are getting a lot of love, and you deserve all of it. A truly great thread. I hope you don't mind if I keep asking questions.

As an academic discipline, English looks to Continental philosophers for guidance -- Foucault, Marx, Derrida, Freud, for instance. But, hardly any English professor (as far as I know) pays any attention to analytic philosophy, even though most Anglo-American philosophers are analytic. How come? Do you think this is a mistake?

emys
Feb 6, 2007
Brainworm, I have a problem.

It's all your fault, really: I was reading my favorite authors and trying to pick up their tricks. Now, the guys I like have very rhythmic prose, so the question is: how do I master metrical prose?

I've been copying out passages I like and then trying to write passages with the different content but the same rhythm. It doesn't work. My passages come off as (at best) stilted and (at worst) Engrish-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emys
Feb 6, 2007
Since you mentioned them, can you give us your readings of "Watership Down" and "The Once and Future King?"