Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love this thread, and thank you for doing it. I have a couple of questions.

I've been a huge reader my entire life, and I've always excelled at writing. However, what I've always loved doing is editing. It suits my nitpickiness and fulfills a basic need to be pedantic (though I understand that grammar sometimes needs to be extended or ignored for style). I don't know if it's something you can give advice on, but do you have any idea how to start a career as an editor? Right now I'm strongly considering a major in Latin, minor in Computer Science - both of which are areas that require pretty strong sense of syntax.

My other question is on behalf of friends. In high school, I had one friend who was forbidden from using any form of the verb "to be". I've never had an English teacher or professor call me out on using it, unless it's part of an unnecessary passive construction. I just had a text from my girlfriend asking how she can use the verb "to be" less, because on a peer-edited paper every instance of "is" was underlined. Is this phobia of "to be" just an overreaction to the excess use of passive voice? And if it's not, is there a good way to avoid using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU