Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Do you require your Shakespeare students to see a play in performance each semester? If so, what do you do to prepare them? Do you feel that as an academic you are looking for something different in a performance than someone approaching it from the theatrical side? I know that as a longtime Shakespearean actor and director I am often willing to enjoy more experimental interpretations, because after working with these plays for so long they have started to look more like blank canvasses than priceless cultural artifacts.

On a sidenote, I actually did direct a production of Romeo and Juliet where I tried to find overlooked moments of comedy, including interpreting the nightingale and lark scene much the way you talked about. It was... not well received. I also played the Nurse's "O woe!" bit for comedy (which people have certainly done before), because that scene always gave me the church giggles as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Cemetry Gator posted:

Basically, the only reason why you should ever glance at the Winter's Tale is for the stage direction, "A bear attacks."

It's "Exit, pursued by a bear." Pretty good line for a hack.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

drkhrs2020 posted:

Quick question: Can Chick Lit be good? I know the term can be used to pigeon hole books but like every area, is there a good example you are aware of that does the genre justice i.e a young female oriented book written well possessing the qualities of a good novel? Or is the nature of the genre to appeal to the LCD, and be a mass market seller?

Hey, not everything that's "female-oriented" is automatically chick lit.