Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazen Apothecary
Apr 9, 2007

NIGHTCREWBESTCREW
What's your position on the current state of the canon? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazen Apothecary
Apr 9, 2007

NIGHTCREWBESTCREW
That's so loving cool. You gave me exactly what I wanted to hear from you even though I was painfully vague. We were discussing the canon (again) a week or two ago in theory, and I was interested in your perspective on it based on your background.

Is there a visible split in your colleagues, or do they tend one way or another? Do you have a department Bloom junkie?

P.S. I want to be you when I grow up.

Brazen Apothecary
Apr 9, 2007

NIGHTCREWBESTCREW

bartlebee posted:

Here's another short topic. I've been switched from teaching Monday/Wednesday/Friday hour long course in Intro to Theatre to a Tuesday/Thursday, hour and fifteen minute course. I've taken basic pedagogy and I understand the concepts of active learning and engaging the student and all that jazz, but I'm a bit daunted by trying to keep introductory students engaged (or even awake) for that length of time. One of my sections is also at 8:00 in the morning (ugh). Any protips from other teachers? This is my second year of grad school, and any advice/similar experiences would be helpful.

I made the switch in lesson plans myself recently. It's surprisingly easy. By the end of the semester, you'll wonder how you ever dealt with 50 minutes. Let them fill the time at first, especially if you're nervous. Group activities. Or bring in more multimedia for them to discuss/react to.

I teach English 101, and for a 75 min, I usually do 20 min~ of lecture, a group activity (flexible, but usually 20-25 minutes), bring them back together for another five to ten to discuss, then another activity or more discussion/lecture as appropriate. Switching between activities takes time, even. I use it to remind them endlessly about due dates coming up, or for questions, or rehashing expectations.