Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This is a really incredible thread. I especially love the insights into Shakespeare, as I never really got any of that in high school.

Naet posted:

I guess my whole formal argument is irrelevant, anyway, because "a lot" or "lots" are not the best word choices in a formal paper. :v:

Same goes for "a bunch". "Lord Of The Flies is about a bunch of kids on an island..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Brainworm posted:

Also, those kinds of texts suggest that the most important parts of a text are high school-level bullshit terms like "symbols" and "themes" and "foreshadowing."

Speaking of which, how would you teach The Great Gatsby?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What should I know about As You Like It? I'm seeing a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of it next weekend and I'd like to be able to take away from it as much as possible.

Brainworm posted:

The famous quote, "all those who love not tobacco and boys are fools," that's just smoke and minors.

Aaaaahaha.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Brainworm posted:

Better advice was never given. Seriously. I love my profession, but these people, they're scary as hell when they drink.

What's your opinion on Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What should I know about Richard III before seeing it?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's usually just really boring, like bad Raymond Carver.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Can you tell me about Othello? I'm seeing it this week and I want to be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's about a librarian with a mold problem.