Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderfailure
Jun 19, 2007

NED THE SPIDER JERKED OFF IN YOUR BATHROOM!

Brainworm posted:

King has some real kung-fu, even if early success means he hasn't always needed to exercise it.

It's nice having a Proffesor say this about King. Even though he might be starting to sell out with weird stuf like his e-story about a guy buying a kindle he has a lot of great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfailure
Jun 19, 2007

Edit: already answered

Spiderfailure fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 27, 2010

Spiderfailure
Jun 19, 2007

How do you feel when in literature (or any of the arts really) an allusion is made that isn't fully understood by the author. That is, the allusions are used to ground the work more or give it an more authentic feel even if the author isn't as well versed in the referenced subject as one is lead to believe by reading said work. Is that author somehow dishonest in his work? I ask this because I was writing something (a song) that both references a Cormac McCarthy character (Judge Holden, possibly a real historical character, though the description in Samuel Chamberlain's autobiography is said to be unreliable), St. Peter and Nero. I'm reading a book of bible stories in modern English as a way to become more familiar with the Bible before reading it in any of its many versions. However I haven't read about St. Peter yet. I have also read a few McCarthy novels but haven't read Blood Meridian. Does this somehow make my work less authentic? I guess I'm just worried that I'm just name dropping. What I am really trying to do is make some vague parallels between Holden and Nero. Thanks!

The Bible is so rich with material but I also want to experiment with using different religious texts from different religions as a starting point for writing.

Edit: For anyone who cares, Simon Peter's Hellenized name (I love wikipedia) is Simon Cephas, Which rhymes with Jesus way better than Peter does!

Spiderfailure fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 19, 2010

Spiderfailure
Jun 19, 2007

Thanks. I'm just sketching out thoughts right now. When I have something put together maybe I'll post it for critique. So essentially the allusion should refer back to the song and not just refer Holden and Nero to each other?

Spiderfailure fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 23, 2010