Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Since there's a lot of knowledge about graduate admissions floating around in this thread:

How much weight does the average/median GPA and class rank play into graduate school admissions? Our average/median GPA at my school is very low compared to many other schools. Mine is above it, but relatively low compared to people who will be graduating in my class year. The only saving grace is my major GPA - which is around 3.9.

I've still got two more years and expect to graduate with around a 3.3-3.4, but I'd like to start looking at graduate schools and want to know how expansive my options are.

e: The low GPA isn't due to lazy students. Our school emphasizes the bell curve and we have a tremendous amount of grade deflation.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defenestration posted:

So my question is, in your opinion is this too brutal to do to my freshmen? Is it as beneficial as it seems, or would I be undermining something important that would hurt our general learning goals? If not how would I have to present it for best results/least resistance?
(I'm of the opinion that since my arrogant rear end got humiliated weekly in tutorials, they can definitely learn from a little tough love.)

As an undergraduate I can tell you that I find this technique both hilarious and useful. Given how little attention high schools give to basic grammar and writing techniques I think that beating it into them would be the most effective way. After all, freshmen are concerned about fitting in and being accepted more than anything else. If you scare the poo poo out of them they'll be sure to never make the same mistake again.