Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009
If you don't mind my asking, about how old are you? Or rather, how old were you when you first started teaching?

Do you see yourself working at the college you're at now for the rest of your teaching career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009
This is a great thread.

How would you describe your teaching style, Brainworm? Being that you teach at a small liberal arts college, I assume you favor a conversational approach over a more lecture-based one, but more than that...?

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks oodles for all the answers so far, Brainworm. This thread rocks my fictional pantyhose.

What are your personal feelings on socializing with students?

Relatedly, are you one of those professors who will invite students to their houses for class discussion over lunch/dinner?

Why is the above sentence so ugly?

What is your favorite board game?

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009

Brainworm posted:

lots and lots of yummy words
I'd like to carry you around with me in my wallet and pull you out whenever I'm faced with a vague prompt on a test or job application. That'd be wonderful. Thanks so much.

Brainworm posted:

Another crackrock adventure is verb conjugation in the subjunctive mood -- the conjugation changes, but how it changes seems absolutely random. "If I were in your shoes" shifts from singular (was) to plural (were), but "it's time we bought new carpet" shifts to the past tense. But the only way we'll frog march that pointless irregularity out of common use is if ESL students crash passenger jets into MLA headquarters.
Is there ever ever ever any point at which was is used in the subjunctive mood?

What are the rules for who and whom in a compound sentence that has a second verb for which who/m is supposed to be the nominative? For instance: "I tackled George, Bob, John, Isaac, and Samantha, all of who(m) sought to suck on my toes."

Whom seems to be more commonly used, but Ayn Rand and Orson Scott Card (whom I cite for their publishedness, not skill), at least, seem to favor who when the word is pressed into service as a subject.

Lastly, while I don't have a specific question for this one, would you mind talking a bit about hyphen usage? I'm terrified that I overuse them, but at the same time I'm fairly certain that I only use hyphens when it's technically correct to do so, while the rest of the civilized world seems to hardly ever use the things.

e: Oh, and why does God hate the Oxford comma?

Fast Moving Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 27, 2009

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009

exactduckwoman posted:

"Whom" there is the object of a preposition ("of") while "all" is the subject proper.
Ohhh. Thank you bunches.

Brainworm posted:

Exactduckwoman has the who/whom issue nicely sorted. But I'd like to bury it even if the body's still twitching. I never use "whom" for the same basic reasons I never use "one." Both are too precious even for formal writing.
Never? What do you use for an object in formal writing? I suppose it might be different for you, being that you're Bearer of the Red Pen, but I know that if I used who instead of whom for an object in a paper, my teacher would whip out his instrument of torture and snarl with glee.

Josh Lyman posted:

My understanding is that putting ending punctuation inside quotes is a British convention, whereas putting it outside quotes is an American convention, or at least up to the publisher.
I believe it's the other way 'round.

Sir Worm, do you have a favorite passage in Shakespeare?

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009
Somehow this thread fell off my bookmarked threads list! I have a lot of catch-up reading to do. Related to these last few questions, though, how might one go about becoming a faster reading? Or is reading/practice the only way?

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009
Would you mind going into more detail in regards to stopping subvocalization? It may just be that it's so inextricably tied up in my thought processes that I can't imagine reading without it, but... well, I very literally can't imagine reading without it. If I don't subvocalize, it seems that I'm simply moving my eyes across the page with no comprehension whatsoever because I have no limit to my speed. In other words, it seems that if I don't subvocalize, I still move my eyes across the lines, but far too rapidly to garner any sort of understanding.

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009

Brainworm posted:

I got more comfortable reading without subvocalizing by quickly passing my eyes over a sentence, closing them, and reciting the sentence from memory. And what finally convinced me that I was doing something right was that I had slightly better recall without subvocalizing than with, even though non-subvocalized reading felt a bit unnatural.

So give that a shot and see if it helps.
Thank you. I'm somewhat skeptical, but I'll definitely try it out.

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009
Hullo, Brainworm.

I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me your general thoughts on Measure for Measure? It's come up a few times in the thread, but really only in passing, and I'm curious what you think about it other than that it's got a lame ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Moving Turtle
Mar 16, 2009

Brainworm posted:

Well, we call Measure for Measure...
Thanks!