Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What are your thoughts on Macbeth?

Also, are there any Shakespeare plays you consider skippable or are they all worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Great thread so far!

I just started on Julius Caesar, do you have anything I should be looking for or thinking about in particular while reading it? I have already seen it performed so I don't have to worry about spoilers.

One thing that has already confused me is why the other plotters want Brutus on their side so much, the plan to kill Caesar doesn't seem that complicated and Brutus manages to screw it up by not killing Antony, so why include him in the first place?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
In your opinion are there any texts that academia holds to be classics that don't deserve it? I honestly can't remember if that has been asked or not, so feel free to ignore it if it has.

I'd love to hear what you think about Catch-22. I could never tell whether Yossarian was really sane or not. Sometimes he seemed like the only sane one around, but he did some strange things when he was in the hospital.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I was reading the introduction to Asimov's book about Shakespeare's plays and he suggests that Shakespeare put a brake on the English language. He says that up until Shakespeare's time English was changing so rapidly that writing could become unintelligible within just a couple of centuries, but we are able to read Shakespeare without too much trouble four hundred years later. Is there any truth to this? If it is true, are Shakespeare's plays really a factor in slowing down change?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Thanks for putting so much into this thread, it has been a good read.

I am having trouble figuring out what part of this passage from Antony and Cleopatra means:

quote:

Stay for me:
Where souls do couch on flowers, we'll hand in hand,
And with our sprightly port make the ghosts gaze:
Dido and her AEneas shall want troops,
And all the haunt be ours. Come, Eros, Eros!

Specifically the "Dido and her Aeaneas shall want troops" part. My best guess is that he is using "want" to mean "lack" and that all the ghosts will hang around himself and Cleopatra instead of Dido and Aeneas, but I wasn't quite sure.