Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

How would you compare your role as an English professor in a very small, liberal arts based school to that of professors at larger, more diverse schools (state schools, basically)? If you can, that is. I'm curious. I have a BA in English from Temple University and learned absolutely nothing from the curriculum they offered. I had a few good professors, at least in the English department, but I'm not sure they taught me anything I didn't already know. For me, at least, I thought my education was basically worthless (besides the fact I ended up with a degree), and I feel that most, if not all, liberal arts majors at large universities end up being pointless wastes of money for everyone involved (the students paying for the education, the school for staffing/financing the departments).

I think smaller universities can truly delve into the liberal arts with their students, but even then the whole system seems really self-perpetuating (liberal arts students get degrees in it, end up teaching liberal arts or supporting them, repeat ad nauseam) - at least in smaller schools you are really digging into material.

TL;DR: I'm curious as to how you see your role as an English professor at a small liberal arts university - what do you strive to teach? How do you see yourself in the grand scheme of things at your school/in the higher, paid education system of the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU