Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Radd McCool posted:

A sociology question.
Comedy option: right brain/left brain argument.

Generally speaking, however, it's not impossible that men and women would tend toward certain communication (writing) habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Brainworm posted:

A few years ago, I built a little engine that takes students grades' for different types of assignments and tosses them up against things Admissions and the Registrar know (gender, race, age, SAT/ACT scores, matriculating GPA, semester-by-semester GPA, admissions wave or rank, major, and so on).* What I'm about to say comes out of that data.
:words:
Can you post the factor loadings and DGP?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Brainworm posted:

This is one of a billion grammatical points that need doctoring. Consider using quotes in an instructional phrase like type "grep -i ps ~/.bash* | grep -v history." To a novice, it's a toss up as to whether the terminal period is part of the command, since periods are syntactically relevant (in "~/.bash").
My understanding is that putting ending punctuation inside quotes is a British convention, whereas putting it outside quotes is an American convention, or at least up to the publisher. Punctuation inside the quotes seems to give you more flexibility if the quote has an exclamation or question mark but falls in the middle of sentence, although I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 27, 2009