Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Brainworm posted:

Those kinds of groups really do work. At least my experience is that they work. I think I've found that you've got about three months to get through a manuscript. After that, the enthusiasm fades and you (I) end up dropping the project.

I feel this. I did a ton of world building and have been pen pal'ing ideas with my Dad over the past year, but only have achieved one chapter worth anything.

On another note, did your recent book give you a good start for going up for Full Professor? I have 2 years until I'm able to go up for Full Librarian, and I'm just looking at how much I can realistically publish before then that's worth enough to my peers/external reviewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Nice, congrats. Yea, I'm looking at mostly journal publications at this point. Thankfully, my graphic novel scholarship (shameless book link) is helping me out post-tenure more than my library scholarship, but since I argued for it in my tenure portfolio it's relevant to me now. Our guidelines are pretty specific, so as long as I can hit the number of publications I should be good to go. It's just convincing the rest of the Full Librarians/Archivists that I'm worthy enough for the promotion, which still feels like a popularity contest at this point.

On another note, as a Dean, do you prefer that faculty come directly to you for an issue or a proposal of a new idea, or would you rather have it filtered up through supervisors/assoc deans first?