Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's wrong with "thus"? Supplanted by "ergo"?

"hence"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thence

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd love to hear about the earth salting, or the controversy of the 40 hour week rule.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jordan Peterson and Mehmet Oz, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brainworm posted:

So: Law school? Maybe. Talk to some lawyers. Maybe you're better off playing office goon at a firm, or volunteering at a pro bono association, before you just dive into law school. Is that better than an MFA? Talk to some MFA grads. Try it on and see if it fits.

The BFC law thread has an OP here that is five full posts long and includes a section devoted to people considering law school. That section ends with the following:

Despite this, I invite people considering law school to head over there and ask about what it's like, beyond the extensive OP material. To directly quote the thread, "we could use some fresh meat to laugh at".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 21, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

After too much time working its way through my backlog I just finished Shakespeare's Storytelling. It was a great read and I'll be recommending it to others like me who had very little literary conceptual education or Shakespeare exposure. It was a really strong move to make the final exercise autobiographical!

I do have a couple errata notes if that's of interest; the only significant one is this shocking ignorance of the source text (at p.142):

quote:

Luke Skywalker might want to see himself as really different from Darth Vader, but they're the only two people in the galaxy who own light sabers.

More seriously, I'm curious if you could speak to the notion of motivation as you conceive it, specifically the necessary element that in Shakespearean work motivation is about how a character "wants to be seen". I'd like to argue that while it's possible to read this framing into each character's motivations, this seems to plausibly be an artifact of the medium: that this is a stageplay from a period where, in stageplays, the character's motivation is expressed verbally to an audience, sometimes directly. Could you provide any counterexamples from other plays? I apologize, I expect you've fielded this question before.

Also are you all right with being identified as the author of this text in the goonmade books and "I just finished a book" threads?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks, that's a very helpful explanation, and clarifies for me the relationship between the internally motivated character and the nature of shakespeare's contributions. FYI the review's over here.