Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Do you have any experience teaching high school, and if so, how does it compare? I've thought it might be nice to become a prof someday but all those postgrad years seem like such a lot of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Cool. Also, are there parts of any Shakespeare plays you still can't quite wrap your head around, that kind of nag at you sometimes?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Brainworm posted:

Doubting and Believing is great for shaping discussion, too. Whenever you've got a thesis or an idea presented by either a text or a student, dedicate some amount of time to everyone thinking of everything they can to support it. Then dedicate the same amount of time to everyone coming up with everything they can to shoot it down. Then, use that discussion to accept, reject, or refine the idea as it was first proposed. This is a great way to jump start discussion, and a good D/B investment early in a class period will carry the whole thing.

So, ucmallory, you could use this to move from microlecture to discussion. That is, use a microlecture to toss out ideas about how a text is normally read, then use D/B to jump start discussion on those points.

Role Assignment works well if you've got a good rapport with your class. Basically, choose a few students at random and assign them discussion roles, like Doubter (argues against anything), Believer (argues for anything), and Synthesizer (argues for a compromise position between competing ideas). I generally attach having a role to an extra credit opportunity if the role is well-played, and make sure every student gets an fair crack at it.

Oh this is good. Totally using it if I end up teaching college-level courses again. How do you feel about Bloom's Taxonomy? I've always thought it was pretty useful for telling students what kind of questions to come up with.

As a former high school teacher I always considered it a big part of my job to prepare students for college. To that end, my number one goal was to teach them how to gracefully integrate quotations into their sentences. Also I'm developing an alternative approach to vocabulary that focuses less on your verbs and adjectives and more on words (usually adverbs) that help connect ideas in different ways (theretofore, whereby, etc). Is there anything else you wish high school teachers would push?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

^^^ I'm gonna butt in and recommend Pinsky's The Sounds of Poetry

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Do you have any recommendations about non-fiction books that provide social context for certain literary movements or periods? I find the concept of salons, for example, a little impenetrable. I understand what they were, basically, but I find myself wanting a rundown of what would occur there, where and when their popularity rose and fell, some anecdotes or stories about notable ones, et cetera. Something specifically about that would be cool but anything you've read that helped you understand something cultural about great literature would be interesting to hear about.