Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Hey, do you have good feedback on grademyprofessor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Hey, how much grading do you do by yourself? Do you have TAs?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
What'd you think of "Catcher in the Rye"?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
What do you think of "Catcher in the Rye"? Especially because it seems like it's one of those books you can't graduate high school without reading.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

FoiledAgain posted:

It is a very simple fact of English grammar that nouns pluralize, and adjectives do not. How can you possibly claim that your poor has a noun, when *your poors is ungrammatical? If that were truly a noun, pluralization would be possible.

What about collective plurals? "Sheep"

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

xcdude24 posted:

I think the book is about the generational gulf in America. Bell is basically from another time- he can't keep up with the "new" face of crime in his county(and, on a greater scale, the "new" American culture). Then again, I could be completely off the mark. What do you think of McCarthy's writing in general?

I haven't read the book, but this is certainly NOT what the movie is about. It goes to lengths to debunk that claim with the dialogue between Bell and his friend. About the indians? I think it pretty well establishes that world has always been violent and unforgiving.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Hey, you mentioned you watched breaking bad. What'd you think of the ending to the last season?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Brainworm posted:

I'm not there yet. Two episodes to go.

Based on what you wrote, I'd give it a 99.9% chance you won't like the finale. Interesting that you won't watch the finale for fear that it will ruin what you've seen so far, though.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Brainworm posted:

Re: breaking bad

EDIT: Watched the last two episodes and liked the finale. Nostradamus I'm not.

*record scratch sound*

Whaaa....?

That makes two non-Nostradamuses here, because I was sure you wouldn't like it. What about the plane crash out of nowhere?. Or the confrontation scene with Walt and his wife?

Do you think having your expectations diminished led to your favorable opinion at all?

Sorry to interrupt all this talk about important literature and high art with a discussion about AMC programming, but inquiring minds want to know.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

quote:

The full title of Romeo & Juliet is "The tragedy of Romeo & Juliet". The fact that they ultimately die is in the title. Good stories are most often about the path you take, not the destination alone.

Someone wrote this in another thread. I think the topic was the new Judd Apatow movie. What's your opinion on spoilers? Is Romeo and Juliet a much better reading if you don't know they die at the end? You mentioned to another poster that he should read Titus, but definitely avoid finding any plot information.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking, so hopefully you can fill in the blanks.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Hey, I was watching Jeopardy and they did a whole double jeopardy category on Shakespeare. I'll post the answers here, see if you guys can get them:

$400

quote:

GERTRUDE'S ROYAL TITLE IN "HAMLET" (& DON'T SAY "MOM")

$800

quote:

"MY LITTLE BODY IS AWEARY OF THIS GREAT WORLD", SHE SIGHS IN "THE MERCHANT OF VENICE"

$1200

quote:

KATE: "IF I BE WASPISH, BEST BEWARE MY STING"; HIS REPLY: "MY REMEDY IS THEN, TO PLUCK IT OUT"

$1600

quote:

MARINA'S DAD (NEED A HINT? HE RULES TYRE)

$2000

quote:

FRUITY SURNAME OF PETER IN "A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM"

All grammar and words from the orginal (I even put them all in capital letters, just like they're written on the screen). This was from the college edition of jeopardy, in first round of the finals. All were answered (questioned?) except the last one.

I'll post the questions when I get around to it. In the meantime, spoiler your responses.

j8910 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 13, 2009

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Brainworm got all the answers right. Shakespeare comes up alot of as a source of questions, along with geography and bible stories it's one of their favorite topics. I'll throw up "Shakespeare-potpourri" the February 27th game, because there's not much activity in this thread. After that, I'm out of Shakespeare Jeopardy (not that anyone was asking for it in the first place).

$400

quote:

THE ORGINS OF THIS SHAKESPEARE TRAGEDY GO BACK TO OVID'S TALE OF PYRAMUS AND THISBE

$800

quote:

SHAKESPEARE PROVIDED THE FIRST PRINTED VERSION OF THIS WORD, FROM THE SPANISH FOR "LIZARD"

$1200

quote:

IT'S THE "EARTHY" SHAKESPEAREAN TERM FOR THE LOWER-CLASS SPECTATORS

$1600

quote:

LYSANDER USES THE WORD BEDROOM WHILE TRYING TO CONVINCE HERMIA TO SLEEP CLOSE TO HIM IN THIS COMIC PLAY

$2000

quote:

"MEN ARE APRIL WHEN THEY WOO, DECEMBER WHEN THEY WED", EXPLAINS ROSALIND IN THIS COMEDY

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Brainworm posted:

That I can't elp you with, because I honest to God don't know any Bob Dylan songs. Or lyrics. But I'll listen to some and see what shakes out.

I'd be interested to know what you feel as well. Try "Blonde on Blonde", it's objectively* his best album.

I'd also like to know what you think of Leonard Cohen and Jim Morrison, seeing as they're both published poets.

*subjectively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
His blog is gone and he stopped posting. I wonder what the story is. Probably his online life caught up to his real life but, really, did he post anything inflammatory on here or on his blog? He listed this thread on his CV.

Either that or he died or went to prison.