Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Brainworm posted:

On the flipside, Station Eleven could be, like, a kind of sprawling, multi-perspective epic and a really good one, but feels like it pulls the eject seat at the first possible opportunity.

i'm curious what you think of her latest novel, if you've read it. it's a sort of weird metafictional spinoff of Station Eleven that is partly about pandemics and time travel and takes place in multiple periods, but its also very clearly her processing the whole experience of being the author of a popular novel about a pandemic during a pandemic. it also includes some characters/elements from The Glass Hotel so in a way it is sort of evolving into a multi-perspective epic though in a very different way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think it's possible for something like "unintentional satire" to exist in the form of a work trying to promote a particular moral message (like a PSA) that is so badly executed or tone deaf that it becomes enjoyed ironically by large audiences and ends up having the effect of directly undermining the message it was intended to promote, and making a mockery of the original author. anti-piracy and anti-drug commercials of the 80's for example

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

What if your satire goes too far and becomes interpreted as sincere?

it happens thousands of times per day on the internet. that's why we have Poe's law. we've reached a point where whatever ridiculous worldview you cook up, a parody of the silliest conspiracy theory or dumbest political ideology you've ever heard of, probably has sincere believers out there somewhere - and if it doesn't, you'll somehow create some just by posting it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I've seen people on 4Chan who've watched Starship Troopers and thought that service guarantees citizenship is a good idea.

i havent seen the movie or read the book but the general idea of "service gaurantees citizenship" and variations thereof have been fairly common in a lot of societies so i dont see why that would immediately be read as satire? you can literally become a us citizen through military service, and there are many other countries where some form of service is a mandatory aspect of citizenship.

to be clear im not saying i agree with the idea, but it seems like a common enough element of many real cultures present and historical that it's not obviously a joke

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 13, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In both instances, I can see why people miss the parodic elements. Both "role models" are presented as so cool on the surface that its easy to overlook all the details that make them ridiculous

i think there's kind of a missing element here. Fight Club is a novel written by one person and it's that person's artistic expression, later adapted into a film. Warhammer is a franchise where the novels are part of a whole system of roleplaying games, strategy games, video games, novels, toys, and stores owned by the same company. it's a bit harder to read the latter as intentional satire when it's also part of a system designed to sell all of the above, and in which players literally play roles associated with the world. it's like if Fight Club started a chain of officially sanctioned "Fight Clubs" instead of just being a book/movie.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 13, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Brainworm posted:

It's like people who think in words. As in, I'm told that some people's actual thoughts take the form of an inner monologue. Like an episode of Scrubs I guess.
I'm willing to let the whole idea go uncontested given (a) a vacuum of refutational evidence

how did those people think before they learned words?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A Festivus Miracle posted:

So, I was reading Red Harvest by Dashiel Hammet, published 1929 and I had a question

When did Dick become a synonym for penis?

in 1891

https://www.etymonline.com/word/dick

(or more likely, a decade or two earlier, but that's when that usage was first recorded in print)