Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

striking-wolf
Jun 16, 2003

weeeeeeeeeeeeezard
This is a pretty specific question, but I imagine you'll know the answer: what's Michael McKeon's reputation like in the field of British literary studies? I'm curious because I'm taking a grad class with him in the Fall (but am myself from another discipline, hence my lack of knowledge about his reputation), and people seem to speak of him with awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

striking-wolf
Jun 16, 2003

weeeeeeeeeeeeezard
I also followed this thread with great interest as I finished my own PhD in another humanities discipline and struggled through the brutal job market. I think I'm going to be working pretty close to where you went to grad school, Brainworm. I'll be at a small college that claims one of the nation's founders as one of its titular founders. Sorry to by cryptic, but you'll know the place I mean. I'm really excited about it.

striking-wolf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 12, 2014

striking-wolf
Jun 16, 2003

weeeeeeeeeeeeezard
With all this talk about revoking tenure, I'd like to flip the focus to ask about granting it. I'm going up for tenure at an institution which resembles yours in a discipline which is relatively closely related to yours. I've got a very strong record on scholarship and teaching and a fine enough record on service, so I'm not trying to hide any shortcomings. But it does feel in some ways like I'm sending my portfolio into a great unknown where it will be discussed and voted on in ways that nobody at my institution seems able, or at least willing, to talk clearly about. And of course there is the alarming ability of academics to take the tiniest piece of evidence, fixate on it to the exclusion of everything else, and use it to justify whatever they want. I've seen that happen at meetings too often not to have nightmares about it happening in tenure deliberations. So what's it like at the departmental and college-wide level when you're considering tenure cases? How much do institutional and personal politics (which I imagine are fraught at your institution, like pretty much everywhere) enter into deliberations? Do your have any tips for crafting the narratives portion of the portfolio or anything else about the process?

p.s. I've been following this thread with interest since the beginning of grad school, though I haven't been an active participant in it.

striking-wolf
Jun 16, 2003

weeeeeeeeeeeeezard
Thanks for the tips -- it's always good to get an insider perspective on the process!