Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
What are your thoughts on the future of liberal arts education? Many students graduate with massive amounts of student loan debt and no job prospects. For graduate programs you said the only stat that matters is job placement. Should this standard also apply to undergraduate programs as well? If not, what standard should we use?

What is your school's financial situation? How do most students finance their education? Finally, what do you think about the liberal arts school Waldorf College being sold to a for-profit online university? Do you think we will see more of this in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

Brainworm posted:

The first problem is with major design. Basically, some programs grow their majors to the point where students don't have elective credits to burn outside their major or the Gen Ed. requirements, and (usually) departments with this major design push their majors to think of Gen Ed. courses as an obstacle rather than an equally valuable part of student education.

Not to pick on engineers, but their departments are some of the worst offenders, which is bizarre considering the biggest complaints companies have about the engineers they hire: they can't (or don't) write well, and don't have functional vocabularies outside their discipline, (especially in business).

I'm an engineer and I understand your point, but what can engineering departments and engineering students do? Engineering curriculums have to be fairly expansive to meet ABET requirements for accreditation. Most cirriculums include courses in communication skills and business fundamentals. Maybe these classes aren't the most effective solution, but at least they address the problem.

From a student's perspective, even if you have spare elective credits why take the extra general education courses? From my experience lower division general education classes were hit or miss. An advanced technical elective could be more enjoyable and more relevant.