Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?
The tomato from upstairs.

Brainworm posted:

Also, if you want to be an academic, you can teach with either a JD or a law PhD. And law professors are in high demand and make serious, serious money.

How do you feel about a J.D. calling him/herself "Dr. _______" in an academic position totally unrelated to law? Someone at my university does this, and it feels like an insult to Ph.D.s and Ed.D.s around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?
Have you ever had a female (or male, but more likely female) student quote or reference Twilight in any way in class or in writing and, if it hasn't actually happened, how would you react?

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?

z0331 posted:

In the future I want to study the contemporary novel, but it made me think about how people go about choosing what to put effort into studying since so often it seems like an author's value isn't really discovered until years after their publication (perhaps it takes that long to figure out where to place them in the literature continuum?). Are there any authors now who seem destined for literature course syllabi everywhere?

I would suggest Neil Gaiman as one example, but I am eager to hear the Good Dr.'s thoughts on this as well.

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?

Brainworm posted:

<CV stuff>

I think that's a perfect description, actually.

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?

KildarX posted:

Along this same path, after completing an education in English [Masters/Bachelors] what does it qualify someone to do? besides write.

I have a degree in English and I'm an academic advisor for graduate students. And I've never worked as a barista! I have several former classmates that work in universities in similar positions, like in writing centers and student services-type positions. Many had to get graduate degrees, though. I think it's a great starting degree for academic positions, not necessarily for teaching.

I also have former classmates who work in marketing and PR.

Marilyn Monroe fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 27, 2011

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?
Teaching, advising, publishing, marketing, PR, university writing centers/student services. There you go. Really, today's textual society is quite good for the future job prospects of the lowly English major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?

Naet posted:

I wasn't necessarily challenging the validity of an M.A. program in composition or rhetoric. I was more commenting on my anecdotal experience of having never seen someone with that kind of degree despite the fact that I have seen those types of programs at many institutions.

I work at a university and there are several of us here in academic advising/admissions/student services/writing center/library-type positions with our novelty degrees! :)