Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vordulak
Jan 7, 2004

I put pennies in the dryer, and they make music! BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!

Vladimir Putin posted:

Absolutely untrue. I went to an Ivy, and when I went, most people flew into a B or C.

Did you go to Princeton? It is my understanding that Princeton has, at least in recent years, been genuinely trying to curb grade inflation. As opposed to, say, Brown, where you really would have to be a moron to receive less than an A.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/03/12/grades

Inside Higher Ed posted:

A professor who has crusaded against grade inflation by gathering and publicizing data has released his largest analysis to date -- and it suggests that grade inflation continues to be a broad problem across much of higher education. The figures may embarrass some colleges and renew a debate over whether students experience enough rigor...

...Rojstaczer says that his new study shows that it is possible to tame grade inflation. He finds that Princeton University has largely done so, by making an issue of grades and encouraging professors to give a broader distribution of grades. Further, he finds that there is one sector that has held the line against inflated grades: community colleges...

He noted that once Princeton deans said that the issue mattered and encouraged tougher grading, there was a significant change. "How difficult is this?" Rojstaczer asked. Other colleges and universities have seen the opposite trend. At Brown University last year was the first time, for example, :siren: a majority of undergraduate grades were A's :siren:, up from 42.5 percent a decade earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vordulak
Jan 7, 2004

I put pennies in the dryer, and they make music! BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yeah, multiple choice exams at the college is a sign of lazy professors who either don't have the time to grade properly or don't give a gently caress. I have had some multiple choice exams when I went to college, and I found them all to be repulsive. Doubly so when you factor in the fact that I had to pay 40 grand a year for that poo poo.

Correction: your parents had to pay 40 grand a year for that poo poo. Or did you seriously put yourself 160k in debt for an education at an Ivy? In which case, you're an idiot.