Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spydey
Apr 26, 2004
tingling feeling in my arachnads
How many languages do you speak? I assume you must have at least a smattering of Latin if you're reading in-depth into Milton (and, as you mentioned earlier, translating those insane memos the guy who last had your job left you with), but have you tried your tongue at anything else?

Brainworm posted:

I'd check your languages, since you're going to want a firm grounding in at least two to make most good PhD programs -- in advising my students, that's the one thing that most often comes close to hanging up their applications.
I'm in a similar situation to the above poster. The long and short of it is that I'm currently doing a double major in English and Japanese literature and maintaining an excellent GPA. Last year I finally got the chance to go to Japan to get my sea legs, and while my language skills improved immensely over that 11 month period of study abroad, I'm still not exactly what you could consider "fluent". Starting next semester, I need to switch my focus back to English literature to finish up my undergraduate, which means my Japanese is getting put on the back burner and will likely atrophy quite a bit.

I guess my question is, after I graduate would it be advisable to take a year or two off to go back to Japan to get my language skills down pat? Otherwise, was your advice more pointed toward getting a firm grounding in two languages other than English? From reading this thread, I think either way I'll have to take at least a year off to get my priorities straight before committing mentally and emotionally to something like a PhD program in English/Japanese comparative literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU