Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Not really a question but I want you to keep posting whatever crosses your mind because this is currently my favorite thread on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Defenestration posted:

As far as authenticity, maybe you (royal you) just can't enjoy things as they are because you're a college professor and an intellectual. Academics spend a lot of time getting taught to sublimate the original work into a lot of convoluted secondary meaning (on a simple level, like when you said people get taught "Hamlet is about death.")

:ughh:
did you skip over all the Shakespeare discussion or what?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Brainworm posted:

Most of the time, bad writing by good students has real process problems rather than clear product problems -- that is, you get a solid piece of writing where there's a clear research gap or little improvement between drafts -- rather than a process-immaculate piece that I somehow intuit isn't up to a student's native abilities. So when I say I'll hit the best paper in the class with a B or lower, that's generally where it comes from; the product might be nice, but the process could be hosed.
I think I got hit with this hardcore but I didn't intuit that this was what was going on so I stopped taking English classes in college. "Extremely well written, but... B-."

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

modig posted:

I think I was so conditioned to expect this crap in English classes that I never even gave my college English classes a chance.
College english classes were like high school english classes with an even higher degree of bullshit in my experience. That's why I steered away from the major.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Brainworm posted:

The famous quote, "all those who love not tobacco and boys are fools," that's just smoke and minors. It was probably made up during Marlowe's indictment.

I laughed.