Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
What are your favourite poems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Boring question. I've read Titus, 1 and 2 Henry IV, Henry V, Measure for Measure, Merchant of Venice, Twelfth Night, Antony and Cleopatra, Hamlet, As You Like It, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Troilus and Cressida, Coriolanus, and The Winter's Tale. What should I be reading next?

Also, do have an opinion on any Canadian English grad programs? I've been researching specific faculty member's research interests, department focuses, etc, but I was wondering if you had any comment on department reps/research strengths?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I'll get started on Richard III tomorrow. I was never sure how to approach the first tetralogy, and really wasn't up to reading all of them in order. The first half of my Shakespeare class only planned to read 1 Henry IV, but everyone fell in love with Falstaff, so we decided to change the schedule and read the rest of the series.
Antony and Cleopatra is one of my favourites so R&J will come after that.

I've been looking at UofT and McMaster so that's reassuring. My Shakespeare prof is a UofT grad.

Going into Grad school did you know you wanted to focus on Shakespeare? I love Shakespeare and the Renaissance in general (I know English makes up a small part of Renaissance studies), but quite frankly I'm not sure what narrow, focused research interest I want to pursue, if it is Early Modern at all. What more can be said on Shakespeare after 400 years of scholarship?

Also, which edition of the plays do you assign? Anthology or individual texts?

Grouco fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 4, 2009

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Could you talk a little bit about theory? I know you're probably big on reader response, close reading, formalism, and new historicism in teaching undergrads, but what are your experiences with queer theory, post-colonialism, marxism, etc? Did you have any favourite theorists in grad school?

I'm a sociology student, but I have an increasing interest in Renaissance theater history/performativity, especially when it comes to issues of race/gender/class. I love stuff like Shapiro's Shakespeare and the Jews and Thompson's Colorblind Shakespeare. Do you have any recommendations on books/scholars to look out for?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Which of Shakespeare's sonnets are your favourites (don't say 116)? I'd have to go with 27-30, 57, 64, and 91, although every time I read through them I find myself falling in love with one I'd previously not really cared for.

Also, Wyatt or Howard?

Grouco fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 22, 2009

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Brainworm posted:

For my money, Wyatt does this better than any poet of his period and at least as well as any poet in the language. Robert Frost's his only realistic rival on that front.

What about Donne?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wish I could take a class with you! Some more questions:

What is your favourite "country house" poem? I wrote a paper on Marvell's poetics/politics of scale and dimension in "Upon Appleton House", so I have a special spot for it.

quote:

Humility alone designs
Those short but admirable Lines,
By which, ungirt and unconstrain'd,
Things greater are in less contain'd.

Who are your favourite Renaissance women writers? Lanier, Wroth, Bradstreet, Behn, Finch?

Also, have you read The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
What texts do you recommend for becoming more effective at scansion? I've read Fussell's Poetic Meter and Poetic Form but found it a little dated.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Have most of the women you've dated been academics? Could you have a relationship with someone you couldn't relate to on some scholastic level (making dirty Chaucer jokes, etc)? What was your social life like during grad school?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Could you talk a bit about Milton? What are your readings of PL and Lycidas? I find his biography fascinating as well. Could you have ever been a Miltonist?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Who are your favourite short story writers? What was your favourite undergrad/grad course?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
This is pretty broad, but could you talk about the tradition of criticism directed toward the English clergy? I was just rereading Lycidas with the idea of Milton writing himself from under Shakespeare in mind, and couldn't help but thinking that Chaucer was accusing the clergy of being "Blind mouths!" 300 years earlier. Aren't most long 17th century writers writing against Chaucer? I know protestantism vs catholicism is a definitive feature of English literature in general, but I'd love to see you trace and elucidate the tradition.

What's your favourite part of the Canterbury Tales?
Who did Faust better, Marlowe or Goethe?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
The blog is a great idea! I've already caught myself reading a text and thinking, "drat, I think Brainworm touched on this somewhere in that thread....".

Who do you think is the best British novelist after Waugh?
Does anyone in American institutions give a drat about Canadian Lit?
Rochester or Darcy?

Oh yea, how much do you Squat and Deadlift?

Grouco fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 12, 2009

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Could you recommend any books on rhetorical analysis, trope, scheme, and figure of speech identification? I can point out the basic stuff like anaphora, epanadiplosis, chiasmus, etc., but I'm not nearly as competent as I'd like. Reading PL is really driving this deficiency home.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
What is essential reading for advanced study of PL?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

theunderwaterbear posted:

I'm not happy this thread has died, and I at least hope you'll keep updating your blog when you have time. I'll put a (somewhat uninteresting) question to you though; what do you think of Evelyn Waugh, if anything? He's probably my favourite author at the moment. He has a great entertaining style, and sometimes delivers really powerful moments as well.

I'd like to hear your take on this as well, especially if you have any specific insight into how Catch-22 responds to the Sword of Honour trilogy, namely Men at Arms.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Do you have any favourite sexy/dirty poems about love/lust? I'd like to read something at an upcoming Valentine's day poetry event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Help. I think I'm turning into a medievalist...

I know you're a Shakespearean, but do you have any particular thoughts on The Tragedy of Mariam, The Roaring Girl, The Rover, Bell in Campo, or Masque of Blackness/Beauty? I'm fishing around for a research topic for an Early Modern Drama seminar.