Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

Brainworm posted:

As a rule: Satan makes PL readable, since he's the only character with any interior and, frankly, any fathomable motivations. The relationship between Adam and Eve is marginally interesting, and anyone from Heaven is insufferably boring. But overall, I think Books I, II, and IV set standards that the rest of the text can't live up to.

Have you given serious consideration to putting 'schoolmaster of souls' as your job description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

Brainworm posted:

I have now.

Seriously, though. Read Book III of Paradise Lost and tell me you loved it. That the conversation between God and Jesus about the fate of humanity was just as sexy as Satan's vaunting inner turmoil.

I don't know, I guess I can't help but feel like that segment is undercut by the fact that Milton was hardly even a nominal Christian by the time that he was dictating it

(edit: I think this is what William Empson refers to when he says that Milton "barely manages to keep his temper with the poem's God" in Milton's God)

post-feminist rimjob fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 7, 2009