Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Fast Moving Turtle posted:

What are the rules for who and whom in a compound sentence that has a second verb for which who/m is supposed to be the nominative? For instance: "I tackled George, Bob, John, Isaac, and Samantha, all of who(m) sought to suck on my toes."

Whom seems to be more commonly used, but Ayn Rand and Orson Scott Card (whom I cite for their publishedness, not skill), at least, seem to favor who when the word is pressed into service as a subject.

This is a big thing for me so I'm going to answer it too.

"Who" is the nominative, "whom" is the objective (or accusative. Not sure what it's called in English grammar strictly). Only use "whom" if you can replace it with "him/her/them" and still make it make sense.

"I tackled George, Bob, John, Isaac, and Samantha. All of they/m sought to suck on my toes." = use "all of whom." "Whom" there is the object of a preposition ("of") while "all" is the subject proper.

On the other hand: "I tackled George etc., who all sought to suck on my toes." would be correct because there "who" is the subject and "all" is an adjective.

Also, I love the subjunctive and it is beautiful with its "were" and its random past tenses :swoon: I do not think "was" is ever proper usage in the subjunctive, but I may just not be thinking of an instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Brainworm posted:

It didn't. Not even a little. I've heard that rationale for learning foreign languages thrown around before, and it always confuses me. Like there was nothing to be gained by learning, say, Spanish or Arabic.

It's definitely misleading. I'd say, rather, that learning a foreign language might help you understand English grammar better. An inflected language especially can teach you how to distinguish between who and whom, for example :) Mostly though, learning Latin has made me use too many subordinate clauses, so I guess it made me a WORSE writer.

So that I'm actually asking something and not just nattering about grammar, hey Brainworm, what are your Top Ten Tips for the Timorous TA? I'll be teaching my own section of Elementary Latin next semester, and any help I can get would be valuable.

edit: vvvvvvvv Yes, he should have used "whom." Strictly speaking, the relative clauses should have started with "with whom" but even I am not often that pretentious.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 31, 2009

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Brainworm posted:

Ten, huh. These aren't going to be in any particular order.

Thanks for these :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FoiledAgain posted:

2) Noun phrases can take determiners, adjectives do not.

Silly (adj.) -> *the silly, *a silly
Table (noun) -> the table, a table

What about substantives? :colbert:

"Bring me your tired, your hungry, your poor..."

Bel_Canto posted:

Technically, "a lot" is a noun which then takes "of" in a partitive sense. It's a quantity rather than a quantifier.

Also this ^^^^^. But bear in mind that it CAN also be an adverb, "We go to the movies a lot."

Should there be a breakaway grammar a/t thread?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FoiledAgain posted:

Here.

I meant for quick grammar & usage questions, a bit more accessible than that one.

Sorry for the derail, Brainworm :(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Want to talk to me about Jane Austen? Disregarding the spate of published fanfiction and odd zombie/vampire mashups that have been done to her recently.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Okay good, we agree. I can't stand the fanfiction industry that's risen up out of Jane Austen- 'romantic comedy' is exactly right. I saw a PINK WITH SPARKLES edition of Pride and Prejudice. Or, they go the other way, like the recent film adaptations (I'm thinking the 2005 P&P and the masterpiece theater S&S that just came out), which make them into ~high drama~ with lots of rain and brooding looks. Austen is not a Bronte, thank god.

The saddest bit is that many readers miss both the delicate romance and the not so delicate (but apparently easy to miss?) satire and just think she's 'boring.' Sure, if you want zombies, Austen is boring... but if you want really carefully drawn characters, even the most minor players, she's excellent. I know most of the books by heart, so I've started watching the secondary characters' development (there is SOME) instead of the primary ones, and it's been pretty interesting.

My most recent feelings on Emma are that she's essentially going through the same process as did Mr. Darcy (although she is both MORE class conscious and less repentant). I like to imagine she grows up a bit in the following years, Austen's "ideal marriage" is always one in which each party's character improves the other, or at least one much superior educates the inferior (e.g. Catherine Morgan in Northanger Abbey). Miss Austen was not a feminist as we would have it and should not be read as such.

I'm babbling but I love Jane Austen. Thanks for indulging me. 420readPersuasioneveryday.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
There is a grad school thread stickied in E&A that will probably be a good read for you and I think will explain a lot of the basics. It's a good place to ask further questions too (not that Brainworm isn't-- this thread is, as always, engaging and informative :) )

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
The interesting thing about allusion is how fluid its target objects (= e.g. Nero) are, in cultural terms. YOUR Nero is going to be a very different one from MY Nero, and even if mine (as a classicist) is more grounded in historical fact, yours may actually be more familiar to your audience. So while an inaccuracy on your part might be irritating to a pedant (like me ;)), your image of a character is more familiar, thus more intelligible and effective to a general audience than mine would be. See what I'm saying?

There's a linguist/Classicist called Greg Nagy at Harvard who does some truly complicated stuff on the concept of mimesis, which he defines as the process of reenactment. Inherent in reenactment is both a target object (in his case bits of mythology, or character types) and a sort of composition stage (mimesis) wherein that target is recomposed, reworked, reunderstood in every performance/instance of allusion.

In conclusion, allusion is really goddamn interesting, and I wouldn't fault you for making allusions to things you aren't an expert in. That's what makes culture so rich: it's a shared network of constantly changing and developing targets.

fakeedit: :awesome: I think I just had a small nerdgasm, thanks

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Electric Pez posted:

How would one go about getting a course of their own design. I know a professor at my school has one, and he could not have been here more than two years. I was wondering if you know anything about the development of English courses.

Judging by your thread, you mean as a professor, yes?

First you:
1) Complete a BA in English lit or a field related to it
2) Apply to graduate programs in English lit or a related field, hope you get a funded spot
3) Spend 5-7 years (or more) completing coursework, TAing, studying for comprehensive exams, producing articles or conference papers, and finally writing a dissertation.
4) Seek a job. You will probably not get tenure track on the first go, so expect to hop around as an adjunct for a year or more. These days, even that's "if you're lucky."
5) Finally get a tenure track job, where you may or may not have control of which courses you teach initially, depending on the needs of the department.
6) If you are allowed to design your own course, you will have to do so within the guidelines of the university where you work, making sure to achieve certain learning goals.

Brainworm can probably tell you more specifically about designing an English course, but that's the basic outline of what you'll have to do to even be in that position.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

chinchilla posted:

I can't be arsed to find another source

This is your problem. What Brainworm says here is his opinion. His educated, well informed opinion, but certainly not something you should be using to support your argument. I suppose you could call it a "personal communication," but even then you'd want his real name and position.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Brainworm posted:

Of course I've pointed to two books centered on pretentious manbabies, which probably says a lot about me. Either that, or a certain issues of masculinity are approaching a point of cultural crisis.

:cough: the Iliad :cough:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I had to use the word "performative" in my class yesterday :haw: I do try to avoid that poo poo unless it's seriously useful, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Food Court Druid posted:

"Performative" is a perfectly valid critical term which more or less is what it sounds like. There's no reason to feel bad about using it, especially in a classroom setting. I understand the urge to avoid obscurity, but it's important not to get carried away here.

I know :) I just felt a bit silly using it. I did a day on postcolonial theory too which was a bit :stare: One of my students used "otherization" correctly in a paper though so :3: