Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Kind of a weird question for the OP, but; can you tell if someone has not done the reading for a certain piece based on grading their essays? I wonder this because I got an English Lit major from a 1300 student liberal arts college a year ago and got about a B average without reading about 1/2 of the assigned works. I never got called out on this, including never being called out by fellow students, even when I did my senior seminar project on a book I never read one page of.
I'd also like this answered. I wrote a paper which, being very well received by my professor, received an A despite a flurry of grammatical errors towards the end. I would have given it a C or a D, but I think he's been worn down by the constant flow of garbage that all he remembers are the good parts. I read a paper which received a B; it was left behind by a student. He clearly hadn't read the story, and I can't figure out why a professor wouldn't just circle the parts which indicate as much and write 'Do Over' on the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Defenestration posted:

What the hell kind of question is this?
A sociology question.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did you find that learning foreign languages helped your English writing skils? Verbal? If so, would you expect such results to be typical?

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's something to be said about attempted integration of entertainment and papers. Can you provide me with examples of student success and failure? It would likely help me work out my approach given that your perspective is that of my primary audience.

This has all been a many year struggle against not knowing what other people find funny. I think my greatest 'hit' in recent years has been in a paper on The Metamorphosis; my first line mimicked the structure of the novella's first line.

I think my worst failure is a self-referential paper on the process of writing a paper.*

*I did not turn in this paper.