Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
What's the one text you've read in your life that's altered/developed your world view more than any other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

MoarFoarYoarTenbux posted:

I can't believe no one's called you out on this. This is crap. You are crap for doing it. It's like stripping Ussein Bolt of his Olympic medal because he slowed down and beat his chest at the end and therefore didn't run as hard relatively as the other people in the race. You drat well better give someone an A for doing A-level work. If you must grade with some sort of bizarre "A for effort" system, you should make effort make up for quality, not the other way around. If I write something a little worse than someone but spent tons of time and used you for assistance, I should get more points than them because I get extra, not have them get fewer points. I can't believe no one's complained about this. That would be a completely legitimate complaint and you don't deserve to ever grade a paper ever again if you're just gonna pull that poo poo.

How you feel about this is contingent on whether you think it's a teacher's job to rank the class by ability or to push each student to fulfill their potential. I'm in the latter catagory and as such I think Brainworm's strategy is far superior to the norm.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

are there any books you think everyone should read?

if you were to given the oppertunity to restructure elementary/high school English education, how would you do so?

edit: and goddamn is this a good thread

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Mr. Wonderful posted:

One topic I'd love to hear your opinions on regards raising children. More specifically, successful approaches to raising children to love and embrace education as less a thing you do, and more as lifestyle. What did your parents do that set you along your path? And perhaps you could touch on some general mindset/philosophy that would help one become a successful and lovely student. Having never been to college myself, I am shooting a little blindly, and you seem like the archetype of the perfect student/educator.

This wasn't directed at me and I'm hardly an expert, but I've found that it's curiosity that drives that love of education. Obviously this entails that you should encourage their questions in any way you can, but it also means giving them plenty to ask about in the first place.

So I'd say: answer any question they ask. If you can't answer something straight away, or they're not satisfied with your answer, sit down and work out a better, acceptable answer with them.

As for the source of questions, the two obvious routes are practical lessons - such as those of Brainworm's dad - and books. Reading a lot as a child is something I've found to be almost universal amongst the academically-successful people I've met. Read to them as often as possible - hell, every night - until they can read themselves, and then provide them with a continual flow of literature that challenges them. New words, new ideas. New things to ask about.

e: This bit is based on nothing but my own experiences, but try leaving encyclopedias lying around the house. Especially in the toilet. They'll get bored, flip it open to a random article - neutron stars, DNA, the Glorious Revolution, Uganda - and christ, even if they can't grasp half of it, it's still fascinating.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Funktor posted:

1) Maybe this is a long shot, but I've got a bit of an odd perspective here. I'm a recent math Ph.D. and starting a career in mathematics academia. It seems to me that, as things like calculus don't have any bearing on the lives of at least half (at a very generous guess) of the students we require to take calculus courses, the reasons we require those courses lie elsewhere: a general familiarity with analytical thought, and aptitude at mathematical reading and writing. Holy crap that was the most convoluted sentence ever. My question is, do you have any thoughts on how to teach students the reading and writing of science and math?

at a slight tangent - it's concerning math education as a whole, rather than reading/writing - this might appeal to you:

http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Does anyone have a link to the original thread? I remember Brainworm posting something really heartwarming about a company performing Hamlet or Macbeth or similar to a Chinese audience who'd never heard of Shakespeare before, and I'd like to quote it to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

That's fantastic, thankyou :)