Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
(Taps thread title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Business, Finance, and Careers > House-buying thread - This entire industry has been a loving clown show from top to bottom would be a pretty good thread title evolution.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mush Mushi posted:

Our escrow officer suddenly no longer works at the company on closing day and no one at their office knows what is going on. This entire industry has been a loving clown show from top to bottom.

Oh, hell. May this be solved fast.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
On the plus side due to an error on the seller’s counteroffer I will be the proud beneficiary of not one but two separate home warranties at no cost to me. That gave me a chuckle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mush Mushi posted:

On the plus side due to an error on the seller’s counteroffer I will be the proud beneficiary of not one but two separate home warranties at no cost to me. That gave me a chuckle.

oh no
if you try to make a claim, they'll each insist the other is the first payer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Choose one of them and cancel the other to get a prorated refund.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My plan seems to be, yeah, ask the seller to cover these repairs, see what they say (ask for cost, or ask for the repairs performed?). I suppose also ask for due diligence to be extended so we can get additional estimates, or ask seller to get estimates if they want.

Welp, we got a partial cost concession, accepted it, and we are rolling forward.

Honestly the price we are getting overall on the property is good enough that we can afford some significant renovations, but the real deciding point was realizing that the grandma selling this place had us over a barrel because I was not going to be the one to tell my mother in law her grand baby was no longer moving in next door

So I'm gonna be learning a lot about renovations over the next few months!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

the grandma selling this place had us over a barrel because I was not going to be the one to tell my mother in law her grand baby was no longer moving in next door

Lol I wasn't going to ask but I was wondering about that angle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol I wasn't going to ask but I was wondering about that angle.

Literally married to this house

What could go wrong?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Literally married to this house

What could go wrong?

You have a good few years. You and the house make a wonderful little shed together. Then slowly things start to weather and wear. The magic is gone. One night, after a few too many beers, you sleep in a friend's house. After that, it's all down hill. Your house finds out, you hire a contractor to try and patch things up, but the damage has been done.

In the end the house leaves you and takes half your wife.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was super scared about foundation repair stuff and it turned out to be a reasonably easy process that didn't go over the estimate cost (and was less than I expected). That's not a promise that that will happen every time but I figure some anecdotal positive examples might help counter some of that inevitable dread.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I know this is probably a naive thing to complain about in this day and age, but we have started looking for a house and watching one I'm really interested in go from listed to pending in 24 hours is so maddeningly dumb. How are people with jobs that can't go see a house the hour its listed supposed to even take part in this process?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They're not. Large scale/corporate landlords are buying them sight unseen the moment they hit the market.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

thalweg posted:

I know this is probably a naive thing to complain about in this day and age, but we have started looking for a house and watching one I'm really interested in go from listed to pending in 24 hours is so maddeningly dumb. How are people with jobs that can't go see a house the hour its listed supposed to even take part in this process?

Where are you seeing them listed at? Depending on your area Redfin et al can be slower to update.

If you're in a hot market it's not uncommon for a house to be listed on a friday, do open house on saturday, and accept offers on sunday.

It may very well be an actual, human buyer, just one that is offering a clean offer with no contingencies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Or people arranged the purchase before it even got listed, and it's just going up on zillow in case the sale falls through.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

They're not. Large scale/corporate landlords are buying them sight unseen the moment they hit the market.

there's actually data on investor purchases, and it does not support that statement as a default assumption.

investor purchases are about 30% of the market (which is higher than recent history), but in raw numbers have gone down since 2021/2022 and are almost flat since pre-pandemic:

ibuyer (which I imagine are typically sight unseen buys) purchases are... 0.5% of all purchases:

https://www.corelogic.com/intelligence/us-home-investor-share-reached-new-high-q4-2023/

if a house sells on day 1, it's more likely that the seller and buyer agent talked before it got listed and lined up a buyer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Large investors are a very small fraction of home buying, like 2% or less. Most corporations that are buying homes are small and not buying sight unseen, and even that number, while growing, is not orders of magnitude or anything from where it's been.

The problem is the same thing it's been: lack of supply. In some markets what Cyrano said is true, a house only goes up for 72 hours and if your casually looking or not hunting open houses you'll miss stuff quick.

We build our way out of this or it just keeps getting worse. Your don't even need to build affordable housing, it's just a numbers game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hieronymous Alloy is also right that houses can be accepting offers before they get listed, thanks to agents talking to each other informally. I imagine this is especially true in tight markets, precisely because the market moves so quickly.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My house sold in eight hours because my agent had a carousel of showings that started as soon as it listed.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006
Has anyone seen any impact from the lawsuit on how commissions and fees are working in your area?

We’re going to be listing our house in the next month or so, the first realtor we talked to said he is seeing some sellers list with zero commission to the buyers agent but generally the buyers are using that for price concessions from the seller so it ends up more or less a wash.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pmchem posted:

there's actually data on investor purchases, and it does not support that statement as a default assumption.

investor purchases are about 30% of the market (which is higher than recent history), but in raw numbers have gone down since 2021/2022 and are almost flat since pre-pandemic:

ibuyer (which I imagine are typically sight unseen buys) purchases are... 0.5% of all purchases:

https://www.corelogic.com/intelligence/us-home-investor-share-reached-new-high-q4-2023/

if a house sells on day 1, it's more likely that the seller and buyer agent talked before it got listed and lined up a buyer.

what fraction of sales are from investors? Do they sell at the same rate that they buy, or are they holding onto whatever properties they grab?

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

thalweg posted:

Sometimes it’s just timing. After searching for months we saw a house pop up in the neighborhood the same day we were already there looking at another one. I think we toured the house an hour or two after it was listed and put an offer in the following day. We only had the confidence to do this after reading dozens and dozens of inspection reports, viewing dozens of houses in person, and losing a few offers, but to everyone else we were the annoying people screwing up the normal process. We became what we hated.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

Large investors are a very small fraction of home buying, like 2% or less. Most corporations that are buying homes are small and not buying sight unseen, and even that number, while growing, is not orders of magnitude or anything from where it's been.

Ownership is low, about 2% of total housing stock nationwide

Investors are 20-35% of buyers https://www.corelogic.com/intelligence/us-home-investor-share-remained-high-early-summer-2023/

quote:

California (34%), Washington, D.C. (33%), Georgia (32%), New Mexico (31%), Texas (31%), Nevada (30%), Utah (29%), Arizona (29%) and Kansas (29%) posting the highest investor share.

You didn't define it in your post but the define investor as

quote:

an investor is defined as an entity (individual or corporate) that has retained three or more properties simultaneously within the past 10 years.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
That definition covers a lot of small-time local landlords and flippers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Ownership is low, about 2% of total housing stock nationwide

Investors are 20-35% of buyers https://www.corelogic.com/intelligence/us-home-investor-share-remained-high-early-summer-2023/

LARGE investors. A LLC that owns 2 properties isn't buying houses sight unseen or causing a glut of unoccupied residences.

The bulk of that number you post is people with 1-9 properties, which for purposes of competition aren't going to be the same as ibuyers. In this case, the data seems to indicate that houses going quickly off the market isn't due to investors buying houses sight unseen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lockback posted:

The problem is the same thing it's been: lack of supply. In some markets what Cyrano said is true, a house only goes up for 72 hours and if your casually looking or not hunting open houses you'll miss stuff quick.

We build our way out of this or it just keeps getting worse. Your don't even need to build affordable housing, it's just a numbers game.

On the other hand, there are 15 million vacant homes in the US, roughly 10% of housing inventory. And this varies a lot geographically, probably in the ways you expect - there's less vacancy in states that are more popular, like WA and CA. States with less vacancy are also where the housing problem is at its worst, no surprise there.

This is illustrating that you can't just build homes anywhere, you have to build them in places where people want to live. But there's very little empty land in those places. So what you really need to do is take existing lots and make them more dense, but then you get WASPy types opposing that because they want to live in their vision of the idealized suburb.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

LARGE investors. A LLC that owns 2 properties isn't buying houses sight unseen or causing a glut of unoccupied residences.

Well, define it then. 3 properties? 4? 1234? 4 houses is a million dollars with of investment. That's more than I have in the stock market by a pretty wife wide margin

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 13, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my pretty wife margin is even lower than that

but I think "large investor" can reasonably be assumed to not be the Tier 1 investors in Lockback's post, and they're 19.6% of the 2023Q2 sales, with all other categories of investor being only 4.2%

e. tier one investors with 1-9 properties are unlikely to be snapping them up without looking at them. All the other explanations given for why houses are appearing and then showing as pending on sites like redfin and zillow are the main factors. The reflexive "it's all enormous investors and corporate greed" that leak out of cspam are understandable given that's the message you get from twitter, but the data shows that's only a relatively tiny part of the whole market.

I do wonder how many of the tier one, 1-9 properties set are foreign buyers. And a ton of those tier 1 buyers are making all cash offers. So that is a significant obstacle to buying a home with a mortgage, today. In an average home that attracts at least 5 offers, probably on average 1 of those 5 is an investor, albeit probably a small investor.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 13, 2024

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Hadlock posted:

1 houses is a million dollars with of investment.

Fixed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't see much point in distinguishing between small and large investors, they're all scummy landlords

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You may not, but people trying to reason about the scope and type of problem do.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Listings going under contract within a day is mostly regular buyers having their searches set up to alert them to "coming soon" listings, their agent chatting with the listing agent to get an early showing and find out what the seller wants, and making a very strong offer right out the gate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Listings going under contract within a day is mostly regular buyers having their searches set up to alert them to "coming soon" listings, their agent chatting with the listing agent to get an early showing and find out what the seller wants, and making a very strong offer right out the gate.

The statistics show this is the case, direct observation of my housing market show this is the case......but people want a boogeyman to blame. I suppose that's less scary than "you are priced out of the market because there aren't enough houses where people want to live."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I apologize for bringing the politically loaded (and probably erroneous) subject of large investors into it. It was an unnecessary and dumb distraction from the actual answer to the question that was asked, which is "because people who already have good connections and a good working idea of how much a house in this neighborhood should cost put in a strong, all-contingencies-waived bid within an hour of the listing going live, and often before the listing goes live." Whether those people own 3 properties or 300 is irrelevant; sorry for bringing it up.

Taking for granted that OP must live in a high value, housing-scarce area. It's just stupid trying to buy a home in a hot area, you have to waive everything right off the bat to even have your offer considered in most cases.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

You may not, but people trying to reason about the scope and type of problem do.

Alright, so then explain how the market reacts differently when 3 corporations buy 1000 properties each vs when 1000 individuals buy 3 properties each. Posters seem to be saying that the former is bad while the latter is good but aren't explaining why. Do you know why?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Alright, so then explain how the market reacts differently when 3 corporations buy 1000 properties each vs when 1000 individuals buy 3 properties each. Posters seem to be saying that the former is bad while the latter is good but aren't explaining why. Do you know why?

Centralization of power has a distorting effect on the market and on society. I don't think it meaningfully affects an individual's chances of getting to buy a house in a tight market, mind you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Where did someone say the latter is good? Please provide direct quotes.

The reason that the difference matters is that one must understand a problem to solve it. If the problem is small time landlords buying investment properties "banning hedge funds/REITS/'corporastions' from buying homes" as the commonly heard battlecry goes doesn't fix that, for example. Seems this should all be very obvious but here we are anyway......

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I apologize for bringing the politically loaded (and probably erroneous) subject of large investors into it. It was an unnecessary and dumb distraction from the actual answer to the question that was asked, which is "because people who already have good connections and a good working idea of how much a house in this neighborhood should cost put in a strong, all-contingencies-waived bid within an hour of the listing going live, and often before the listing goes live." Whether those people own 3 properties or 300 is irrelevant; sorry for bringing it up.

Taking for granted that OP must live in a high value, housing-scarce area. It's just stupid trying to buy a home in a hot area, you have to waive everything right off the bat to even have your offer considered in most cases.

Yeah it may be funnier when a big corporation like zillow huffs too much of their own tainted supply, but that doesn't make a lick of difference to people buying a home to live in - George The Small-Time Real Estate Investor is part of the same overall problem

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I've just reviewed the last page to be sure: no posters put value judgements like "good" and "bad" there.

"You are wrong about x, it's actually y" isn't a value judgement, it's a fact check. In the house buying thread and in BFC more broadly, I think we try to keep the discussion focused on facts because that serves the purpose of informing and helping people best. Some of us can be extremely pedantic about it and I'm sorry if that, specifically, is annoying.

That the housing market is hosed is a given, exactly how and why it's hosed is a useful question to ask, and understanding the details - factually, not with handwaving feelings-based arguments - is IMO a prerequisite to both operating within the hosed system and any hope of improving it.

e. to answer your other question, it was already mentioned before: exactly how different investors buy can matter. A small-time investor with 1-9 properties seems unlikely to make "sight-unseen" offers on properties: one bad purchase can sink them. A huge fund that accumulates thousands of properties can afford to take losses on some in the service of efficiency, so it seems they could more easily just snap up houses in target markets without bothering to find out anything more about them than what's on the listing. I do not have a source to back up that assertion so it's speculation on my part.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

Where did someone say the latter is good? Please provide direct quotes.

The reason that the difference matters is that one must understand a problem to solve it. If the problem is small time landlords buying investment properties "banning hedge funds/REITS/'corporastions' from buying homes" as the commonly heard battlecry goes doesn't fix that, for example. Seems this should all be very obvious but here we are anyway......

Then it's a good thing that no one suggested that kind of ban. Phew! So this is falling along the same line of what I was saying earlier: that small investors are part of the same problem, and if there's going to be change then it needs to tackle both groups