Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I want to follow that thread. If it doesn't exist you know what needs to be done.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

New thread starter: is this house falling over or was the photographer drunk?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
that's a feature, you could make a great airbnb experience out of it

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Never buy a property that expects you to assume an existing lean. :D

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna go with "drunk photographer" and the house is on a hill. I've seen much more extreme examples, for example:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Is there a thread for making fun of listings?

I found this GBS thread from 2022
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002006

it didn't last very long but maybe if it was invaded and resurrected by a bunch of BFC goons, it'd have legs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PYF would probably be better, it wouldn't get driven off the page as quickly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah probably

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sir Tonk posted:

:justpost:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

:justpost:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Am I the only goon here cynical enough to wonder if "oh I wanted to use it someday for a meditative retreat" is the whole story behind her purchasing this property five years ago? The signs had to have been there five years ago that the location was in the likely path of near-future development.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes absolutely.

I just won't be very surprised if the story that eventually emerges is along the lines of "developer told contractor to build on every lot, assuming they would soon purchase the lot in question from its owner as a matter of course -> when approached, owner refused to sell/demanded an outrageous price -> developer forgot (or "forgot", if you prefer) to tell the contractor "hey wait don't build on that one there's a holdup with the deed" -> here we are.

The plot owner is definitely a CA hippy who wants to become a HI hippy, they're a dime a dozen so I have no doubt that she intended to keep this plot of land. Maybe if this was in Connecticut it'd be different, but a person wanting to host "healing women's retreats" on an undeveloped acre lot on the big island is actually the most believable part of this story.

Paradise Park has hundreds of one-acre plots in it, and the developer only bought about a dozen of those. It's pretty common in HI for these kinds of sub-sub-developments to not even be contiguous, more often it's individuals buying plots directly from the county (like this woman did) and hanging onto them until they save up enough to hire a developer of their own. A common play is to build an ohana unit that's like 500-700 sqft and live in that while a larger house gets built next to it, then you rent out one of them. Regardless, I don't think that this woman had any ill or "outrageous" intentions. This is a fuckup somewhere between the developer and the construction company, with the county sharing part of the blame because they approved the permits.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The request was for making fun of listings

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

PYF would probably be better, it wouldn't get driven off the page as quickly.

PFY: I'm existing just for listings.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Epitope posted:

Her story on it's face isn't terribly sympathetic. She made a speculative real estate purchase. It sounds like she didn't do anything legally wrong, so the legal system should be on her side to some degree. I for one don't think it should be to the same degree as a condo build encroaching on grandma's zucchini garden.

I don't think that her story is sympathetic so much as the other parties involved are all the most unsympathetic sorts around. "Real Estate developer" is one thing. That they're so reckless as not bother surveying their plots adds a whole new level of lazy scammer to the mix.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
The pyf thread for bad houses would probably work. It doesn’t get too many posts

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Rotten posted:

The pyf thread for bad houses would probably work. It doesn’t get too many posts

Like the deck of a bad house. Fitting.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

If there is it needs to include this one. :newlol:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3599-Hector-Rd-Newcastle-CA-95658/95947261_zpid/

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
> Never occupied, a house perpetually waiting for a party

a bit longer than six words, but a pretty sad story nonetheless

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nybble posted:

> Never occupied, a house perpetually waiting for a party

a bit longer than six words, but a pretty sad story nonetheless

To be fair, it literally looks like that. It's not someplace anyone would want to live. It's someplace someone with way too much money has as a plaything that they use every once in a while......if they can find the right "someone with too much money". It will more likely go to some aspiring airbnb host.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can't stop seeing this room as having 4" of water for a floor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ditocoaf posted:

The request was for making fun of listings

I appreciated this post :shobon:

caluki
Nov 12, 2000

Motronic posted:

To be fair, it literally looks like that. It's not someplace anyone would want to live. It's someplace someone with way too much money has as a plaything that they use every once in a while......if they can find the right "someone with too much money". It will more likely go to some aspiring airbnb host.

They've apparently been looking for the right someone for about a decade, initially at nearly double the price.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999970

That one seems more design focused, not sure making fun of fixtures would fit the theme when you have the geodesic domes dominating discussion.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999970

That one seems more design focused, not sure making fun of fixtures would fit the theme when you have the geodesic domes dominating discussion.

That thread is mostly great, but also a perfect example of why you should post pictures in a thread itself instead of linking out to whatever you're talking about. Every post that linked out is now meaningless, every post that included pictures is good.

Be considerate of future readers! Nothing on the internet is permanent. Except Something Awful.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 31, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well, everything linked to imgur pre-~July 2022 is permanent. Management has no interest in publishing a list of new images on the forums since that point in time so anything that's low traffic is likely to get lost again

Tweets will go away someday, too. CSPAM will be more of a wasteland

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
im getting really sick of touring amazing houses, getting my hopes up, then discovering afterwards in the disclosure that the place needs $75k in repairs because the foundation is literally crumbling or the roof hasn't been touched since the 60s.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kuvo posted:

im getting really sick of touring amazing houses, getting my hopes up, then discovering afterwards in the disclosure that the place needs $75k in repairs because the foundation is literally crumbling or the roof hasn't been touched since the 60s.

This is my experience as well. Everything is falling apart, rotten, and/or infested. The worst part is people live like that, these aren't abandoned homes by any means.

For me, homeownership was about having a higher quality of life than renting, and not having to deal with the bare-minimum home quality that landlords provide, but a lot of people prefer just living in squalor it seems.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

90s houses, at least here, did not age well. who thought this was a good idea. why would I want railings and slight changes in elevation everywhere. and this is like every house that was built from 90 to 93

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This was before roombas were invented

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They used to refer to the bonus room as a "den" and it often had a sunk floor. You're supposed to sequester your kids and their messy toys there for playtime, I think.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

mistermojo posted:

90s houses, at least here, did not age well. who thought this was a good idea. why would I want railings and slight changes in elevation everywhere. and this is like every house that was built from 90 to 93

I understand the day to day impracticality of it, but I legit love that style.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mistermojo posted:

Pretty sure it was to better define spaces without having walls. Basically a half-way point between open concept like people do today, and the more closed off styles with clearly defined spaces that you see earlier.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Might as well just have half walls so you can put buffets/cabinets against them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sunken dens were a thing in the 70s I thought, it's like an indoor swimming pool but exclusively for loads

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

QuarkJets posted:

Sunken dens were a thing in the 70s I thought, it's like an indoor swimming pool but exclusively for loads

I feel like the Sunken Den was the traditional place to put The Family Computer (Gateway that came in a cow box / Macintosh Performa) in the late 90s.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah our early 1980s california ranch that I grew up in had a sunken living room with a railing on one side between it and the dining room, and the other edge was against the entryway so it was just a long low step, so it's not specifically an early 90s feature

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My uncle's house had a layout like that when we were kids. I dug it at the time? The walkway from the main doors to the kitchen/back of the house was one level, step down to a living room on the side of this walkway, step back up to the dining room.

I kinda remember there not being handrails at first, but they were certainly there later on.

It was a BIG house, so you didn't really feel the space you lost with this feature.

They owned it since the 80's, might have bought it in the late 70's.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

not all is lost. if anyone's got 650k you can own this absolutely beautiful home in Minneapolis close to the river https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/144-Melbourne-Ave-SE-Minneapolis-MN-55414/1968851_zpid/

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

mistermojo posted:

not all is lost. if anyone's got 650k you can own this absolutely beautiful home in Minneapolis close to the river https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/144-Melbourne-Ave-SE-Minneapolis-MN-55414/1968851_zpid/

:circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Shhh, don't let people know the MSP market is really good

That house is walking distance to a lot of cool breweries and restaurants and stuff and a short bike ride down a dedicated bike path along the river to downtown or north loop.