Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I had a "this deal is available on this date only, take or leave" that corresponded with the absolute worst timing and most uncertainty and I'm stuck with a crappy rate, though the total amount isn't overwhelming. I suspect it'll be years before it'll be worthwhile to refinance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I wonder if the lease you have is "too low" and so the appraisal they got was way lower than what they offered. Shortening your lease and re listing it with the higher rent would drag the average way up, probably close to what the person offered to buy it was

That's pretty lovely of them though, the valuation being wrong isn't your problem. They should have gone to your lawyers office, not your home. That sucks

Our landlord had not raised our rent in 7 years. So we are well below market. The proposal to us was to cancel the lease and then sign a 2 month 8 day lease with the same rate with the buyer to be. Which I guess means their plan was to create a legal fiction for the lender that the house had no lease so they could pretend our apartment would be market rate? Honestly, the plan makes no sense and we’ve given up on trying to make sense of things given how they escalated when we asked questions and started saying “no.”

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That sounds less like "legal fiction" and more like "fraud".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They are probably trying to make it look like that's a short-term placeholder rate and not the rate thats been going on for 7 years straight. It's shady.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I’m curious, why would the bank even care about this? Wouldn’t they be able to see the end date on the existing lease, and know that the new owner could raise the rent to whatever market rate is at that time?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I’m curious, why would the bank even care about this? Wouldn’t they be able to see the end date on the existing lease, and know that the new owner could raise the rent to whatever market rate is at that time?

Read the thread title.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Because they don't know if the low rent is just the landlord being lazy/cutting good tenants a deal/etc or if the rent is really that low in the area, which impacts the assessment. By playing games with the lease, they are trying to say "See, look at these comps, that's what the value really is. The current lease is just a short term thing to fill a gap, you can ignore it." It's a lot harder to do that on a lease from the Obama administration.

I mean if the lease is identical it doesn't hurt OP, but I'd definitely ask for money back or a free month or something if I were to sign now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I suspect that the crazy stupid idea is being pushed by an underwriter who is trying to make the loan easier to resell.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Maybe something to do with how you can calculate rental income as part of your income for getting the loan?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
The buyer probably doesn’t qualify for the loan based on their own income and needs a market rate lease to qualify. The problem is that the current leases is below market rate and doesn’t bridge the gap fully. They can’t just unilaterally cancel the lease so that’s why the OP is getting all this pressure to sign a new one, or just leave cause suddenly everyone is being a dick. They should absolutely hold the line but they aren’t gonna out last the next renewal regardless of what happens.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

tumblr hype man posted:

The buyer probably doesn’t qualify for the loan based on their own income and needs a market rate lease to qualify. The problem is that the current leases is below market rate and doesn’t bridge the gap fully. They can’t just unilaterally cancel the lease so that’s why the OP is getting all this pressure to sign a new one, or just leave cause suddenly everyone is being a dick. They should absolutely hold the line but they aren’t gonna out last the next renewal regardless of what happens.

OP is moving out in 3 months. Just bought their own place.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
And (not a lawyer) but I imagine given their own real estate attorney saying "don't sign that loving thing" there's no net financial incentive for OP because it could result in them being party to fraud. Or simply just a "that sounds like a you problem"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like how everyone showed the worst of their character. Realtor being a slimeball. Landlord being overbearing throw their weight around. Buyer being pathetic guilt tripper. No one just being forthright

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Epitope posted:

I like how everyone showed the worst of their character. Realtor being a slimeball. Landlord being overbearing throw their weight around. Buyer being pathetic guilt tripper. No one just being forthright

You never get to find out what a person is really like at their core until a bunch of money is on the line.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

You never get to find out what a person is really like at their core until a bunch of money is on the line.

Inheritance.txt

Nybble posted:

And (not a lawyer) but I imagine given their own real estate attorney saying "don't sign that loving thing" there's no net financial incentive for OP because it could result in them being party to fraud. Or simply just a "that sounds like a you problem"

They wouldn't be party to fraud if the lease terms were correct and valid. But not getting mixed up in up unless there's some benefit is probably still a good idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think as a general rule you should not sign contracts for which you receive zero consideration or benefit. The other parties have put lots of pressure on doingitwrong but none of them seem to have offered any actual thing of value in exchange.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I think as a general rule you should not sign contracts for which you receive zero consideration or benefit.

In fact, such contracts are not valid. I know this is well obfuscated in this situation, but it's black letter contract law.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey we have a situation with our loan, it would help us a lot if you would cancel the old lease and sign this new split version. We'll give you x bucks.

Without any of the shenanigans. How much would x have to be?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

According to contract law it would be $1, because that is the "default" mark of having been given "consideration".

So yeah, this is why you don't sign things without having your own lawyer. This poo poo doesn't make a lot of sense in a plain language reading (even and especially when written in what looks to be plain language) and it's all arcane rituals.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Well. No one has said (or emailed) a single word of acknowledgement to our last notes definitively saying no and (to the landlord) giving our notice for the end of June. Good riddance.

In happier news, I’m trying to get a clearer sense of what documents we’ll be asked to sign in RI at the closing. It would be nice to see as much as we can in advance since everyone involved seems to simultaneously say “there’s a lot to sign!” and “it’s all very standard” and “we don’t have examples to share!”

This is probably just first time buyers nerves, but it’d be nice to have a chance to read what we’re signing before the big nervy day.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

Well. No one has said (or emailed) a single word of acknowledgement to our last notes definitively saying no and (to the landlord) giving our notice for the end of June. Good riddance.

In happier news, I’m trying to get a clearer sense of what documents we’ll be asked to sign in RI at the closing. It would be nice to see as much as we can in advance since everyone involved seems to simultaneously say “there’s a lot to sign!” and “it’s all very standard” and “we don’t have examples to share!”

This is probably just first time buyers nerves, but it’d be nice to have a chance to read what we’re signing before the big nervy day.

They absolutely should be able to supply the documents in advance, what the heck.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Boiler plate documents should be available, they may not have them filled out ahead of time with parties and lot IDs and whatever. I'm guessing they won't do that until D-Day.

Typically they are pretty easy to go through and understand what you're signing though, even while you're sitting there. You have the right to take as much time as you want and to ask whatever questions you need.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah read all that poo poo before signing and don’t be afraid to ask questions. This is what your realtor is paid for.

God my seller’s realtor was PISSED at me lol. Go get a coffee my dude I can do this if I want.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The biggest and nastiest document to sign when buying is your mortgage paperwork. They shoud be able to supply you with this days in advance. The second nastiest is the homeowners insurance paperwork and again, they should be able to supply you with this. The third biggest but much smaller will be the title insurance binder. The rest are likely to be standard state forms that are only a few pages long at most that relate to escrow, power of attorney and actually transferring the title and assigning your mortgage company as "additional interest". So get on your chosen insurer and lender to handle 80%+ of this by number of pages ahed of time.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What’s the preferred way to shop for home insurance? My current insurer (lemonade) doesn’t do policies in California.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

What’s the preferred way to shop for home insurance? My current insurer (lemonade) doesn’t do policies in California.

Find an independent broker. Nobody wants to write policies in CA right now because the state insurance regulator refuses to recognize that the cost of insurance must go up or companies operating there will become insolvent. They recognize this in the cost of their own insurance of last resort but won't let anyone else charge appropriately.

Good luck.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They absolutely should be able to supply the documents in advance, what the heck.

Everyone on our side was upset when we requested a copy of the closing documents a month early.

Maybe because of our jobs they thought we’d try to modify the contract because they kept replying with some form of “YOU CAN’T MODIFY IT! STOP ASKING. STOP.” We kept pushing until we received the docs three days before closing and our realtors hair further greyed.

This was confusing to us since they kept saying it’s a standard document we can’t modify. Which sounds like they could just give us a hard or digital copy of this “standard document” everyone uses that we can’t modify.

It became a real “no brown M&Ms” moment to see if everyone really had their poo poo together. Someone on the mortgage origination side had messed someone up and almost lose their job, or at least we were told that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

abravemoose posted:

Someone on the mortgage origination side had messed someone up and almost lose their job, or at least we were told that.

They did not, you were just told that and it was another day that ends in "y" for them and everyone else at and who prepared documents for the closing table. <taps thread title>

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you were moving into a new house, and you didn’t need to move in on the closing date, what stuff would you fix before moving in? Floors and painting seem like the obvious, am I missing anything?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

smackfu posted:

If you were moving into a new house, and you didn’t need to move in on the closing date, what stuff would you fix before moving in? Floors and painting seem like the obvious, am I missing anything?

We're doing this now and the list is foundation, fence, flooring, kitchen, remove popcorn ceiling, paint, and some other renovations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

smackfu posted:

Outlets (esp in bathroom) and Ethernet runs and pull the “internet in” cable somewhere useful for a router.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When I bought my house and they gave me all the mortgage documents I had questions about some of them and they just kept saying "they're standard documents" and I kept saying "they're not standard to me" and it caused a lot of friction in the closing process.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

smackfu posted:

Hire a professional cleaning company to come in and deep clean the day before you move in.

Also check the sewer line and if it shows any issues now's the time to have them fixed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you want to move walls or anything it's way better to do that now. Especially if you have plaster, or else you're cleaning plaster out of everything for months.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Light fixtures, switches/outlets/trim plates

Crown moulding

Paint the garage, clean the garage and put down textured concrete epoxy paint

Seal up all the holes near the roof line that squirrel or (in the case of forest fires) hot embers can enter

New/additional insulation

If you're not slab on grade, plastic ground cloth

Drain the hot water heater

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hadlock posted:

textured concrete epoxy paint

What is the point of this?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh, painting the garage floor (or coating it) is a good one, we have never been able to do that in our current place.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lol so much of this was on my list for the ~10 days we had before moving in. Turns out cleaning up after a disgusting divorced bachelor takes like 60 hours and none of it got done

I did get around to replacing (most of) the switches today though :toot:

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Oh god putting in another offer after 5 years of looking and two backed out contracts. House already has 5 offers. Everything is loving stupid yay here we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What is the point of this?

If you paint the walls + ceiling, it still looks like a garage. If you do the epoxy coat floor suddenly it's an extra living room when your friends come over with their kids. Most of the houses in our neighborhood the garage is a second living room with a TV, couch etc

In our house the HVAC is in the garage so the garage is +/-10 degrees of the inside temp of the house

Also if your car leaks oil you can just wipe it up, it doesn't soak in and leave a stain

Also also, finishing the floor makes you a lot more likely to keep it tidy