Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I've done it, years ago. Just called up my servicer and told them I wanted to drop PMI via reappraisal. They took the fee up front and ordered an appraisal via the same process as a loan application.

76% won't give you a whole lot of wiggle room, though. The appraisal might not be so generous without a sales contract price to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I should further note that I did it pre-2007 and there's no law or contractual obligation in a conforming mortgage to make them do this at all. Anyone trying this today may have a very different experience.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bacchus posted:

Any advice on things to avoid or consider?

Try calling the cops next time they are making that much noise at an unreasonable hour.

Also, if you can afford that much mortgage, you can probably afford a vendetta in civil court if the cops are no help.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

LMAO, that electrician is absolutely trying to take you for a ride.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Uthor posted:

That scale is in feet? :eyepop:

Storm surge is no joke and the cause of most of the property destruction during tropical storms.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

it sounds ridiculous a bit, but an unstrapped hot water tank at full pressure falling over in an earthquake is basically a bomb.

What? There's very little energy in pressurized water.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

COLI was a tax dodge. Once the tax loophole closed, there was no reason to do it anymore.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

daslog posted:

It's worth asking if they would sell it to you, but I would think most landlords would want to get top dollar for their unit and the best way to do that is to list it with an agent.

I own a rental unit in a neighborhood rife with redevelopment. A constant stream of randos (try to) contact me about buying it. They get summarily ignored. Particularly persistent ones get blocked.

When the time comes to sell, I may offer it to the tenants, but otherwise I will list on the MLS because I want the price discovery of open market action.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

The way it was explained to me, a bridge loan is for exactly this situation. I thought I read somewhere that you can't sell a house with a HEL or HELOC on it, was that incorrect (or misinterpreted by me)?

The HEL(OC) gets paid off at closing with the sale proceeds. It is totally unremarkable to sell a property with open loans.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I know I am going backwards here but what are you guys even on about. Underwriting deals with this all the time. Personally I got zero questions both times I sold stock ~2 weeks before close to fund my down payment.

SlapActionJackson posted:

After I told them monthly statements didn't exist and that the 2 quarterly statements they already had == 6 months, they actually asked me to submit a document, from Vanguard, stating that no monthly statements are generated in idle months.

I did manage to talk them out of that one, fortunately.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

See the thread title.

If your escrow servicer fucks up your insurance/taxes, it's just another Tuesday for them. You're the one getting threatening notices from the county to pay up, or they'll render you homeless.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Quick sanity check here: home warranties are mostly a scam, right? Let me know if there are any scenarios in which they make sense I’m not considering. As always, everyone in this process has their hand out, and it’s easy to assume it’s all marketing. Thanks in advance.

You should absolutely be skeptical of any 3rd party warranty you are pitched, ever. They are almost always pure profit for the warranty company.

As is the custom in my market, my current house purchase included a "seller-paid" 1yr warranty. The water heater crapped out in the warranty period. Ol Slap might finally win one against the warranty companies? No. They agreed that the heater itself, removal, and installation were all covered. But there were uncovered "modifications" I'd have to pay for out of pocket to the tune of $1200. Which is totally coincidentally about what my regular plumber would charge to replace a heater with a middle of the road unit.

I declined and fixed it myself for $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I know SFBA real estate market is nuttery defined, but LOL at selling a house with an active termite infestation and just not giving a gently caress.