Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Started looking for a house at the end of last year. Found one my wife and I liked, but was way over-valued, and put in what we thought (and our realtor agreed) was a reasonable offer. Seller wouldn't budge. Tried twice more, seller still wouldn't move and started making demands about closing date &c before he would even consider an offer. Ultimately we ended up walking away because we couldn't justify that much money on not that much house and a neighborhood that wasn't anything to write home about.

Cut to last week when were in a town that we weren't even looking at (because we knew we couldn't afford a house there) and stumbled upon an open house that we went to essentially because we had time to kill.
Totally perfect, incredible neighborhood, somehow within our budget. Put in an offer that day and after a bit of negotiation they accepted at 10k under their asking price.

Got their signed contract yesterday afternoon and delivered my earnest money immediately afterwards. I'm so excited but terrified I'm going to gently caress something up. Never done this before (never even lived in a single-family before) so I'm going to try to glean some wisdom from this thread.

To contribute, here's one that you all might not have heard before:
So, the seller wants to get the intent to proceed from the lender really soon -- they signed yesterday, and they want the intent by Friday. I agreed to that because I've been working with my mortgage broker for a while now, he's totally ready to go, got everything lined up. Calls me up yesterday and tells me that I need to unfreeze my TransUnion credit report to proceed.
Weird, because I never froze my credit reports (I use an identity protection service)
Called up TU, who tell me they just need my PIN. I don't have a PIN, because I never froze my credit. They say they can send a new PIN to my current address, but it's going to take 5-7 business days.
At this point I'm thinking that A) I'm the victim of some weird fraud that involves freezing a report but not a change of address and/or B) I've got to call the attorney because I'm going to miss the agreed-upon intent date.
Can't get a hold of the attorney so I call up the TU fraud line. Took forever to convince the guy that, no, I didn't just forget about freezing my report. Finally was able to escalate my call to a fraud expert or whatever who was able to actually help me.

I share a name with my father. My dad called them after the Equifax breach and told them to freeze his report and they froze mine instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Did the inspection yesterday and it went pretty well -- stuff we expected, minor code violations, etc. However, the inspector told me that the HVAC and boiler are from '95. The selling agent told us during the open house and prior to signing that they were last replaced in 2009 (didn't notice myself, totally new to this). We even have printouts of the listings and a handout from the open house that lists 2009 mechanicals as a selling point. My realtor called and the selling agent said it was a mistake and/or she misunderstood the seller.

Obviously we're pretty loving annoyed because we thought we had a good few years before we'd have to replace those things, and newer mechanicals definitely factored into the offers we made and the price we signed at. I'm calling my attorney tomorrow to see what he recommends (if anything) but am I screwed on this one? I have a feeling my only recourse would be to walk away on the grounds that they misrepresented the house, which I really don't want to do because we love the house despite. But gently caress me that's a big chunk of change that I was not expecting to spend right now.

My only other idea is to really lean on the inspection and emphatically remind the sellers that our short term costs are going to be a lot higher, thanks to their lovely agent.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Sellers are elderly and are either out of the state now or will be very soon. Apparently they already passed along to my realtor that they don't want to do any repairs/replacements and will instead credit anything that needs to change which is way preferable to me. Going to push on them pretty hard on this and hopefully make as big of a dent as I can.
Sounds like they're ready to pay and ideally if I can get a good chunk of it out I can buy modern, energy efficient units and save money in the long run. Got to get emotionally prepared to walk away, if not.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

FWIW I think if you keep this stuff in mind as you live your life it'll end up resolving itself one way or the other. I couldn't ever really justify owning over renting until suddenly I could and it made sense. In my case I got married and got a good job, and if neither of those things happened I would have had no idea if I should rent or buy besides that kind of "uhh I probably should own property, shouldn't I? Or no? It's good, right?" anxiety that accretes.

Anyway I'm finally able to come up for air after the last ~2 weeks of trench warfare trying to get seller's credits. The concession we ended up making to get to a number we liked was to move up the timetable, so I'm closing in 15 days :toot:. Finally started to feel a little excited now that the finish line is in sight.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Act quickly and we’ll send you a thirty year supply of all the anxiety you can ever want; it’s our springtime “Honey, that water stain was there when we moved in, right?” promotion

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

We got a standard inspection, a radon test, mold inspection, and a sewer scope all on a house that looked perfectly fine. Sellers PROMISED everything was up to code, realtor told us we didn't need anything except the regular inspection and started hand wringing about the sellers getting spooked or whatever.

Of course, every inspection found poo poo and we used that as leverage to get a bunch of seller's credits and a price reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

wife dumb, so what