Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
gently caress.

I was casually looking for duplexes and SFHs with garages and stumbled upon the perfect one on Monday night. Now it's Wednesday morning and the seller has until noon to accept my counter-offer. That went fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm signing on a house and in the purchase agreement it lists 2 properties:

XXX Name Street and XXX A Name Street

It looks like the plot used to be 100' frontage x 300', but the previous owner subdivided it into the 100' x 100' frontage and named the 100' x 200' behind it "A". He then built a detached 25' x 40' garage on a concrete slab.

Is there anything I should look into or ask questions about on this? Why did he do it this way and was he required to? It's located in Virginia.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just got the inspection report back on the house and aside from minor issues the big thing that has me worried is the HVAC system. It's a 2 year old A/C heat pump combo but the temperature was 67 upstairs and 53 downstairs. He's recommending an HVAC inspector. (EDIT: ambient was 84 at the time of inspection)

Problem is there was an offer for $5500 more than mine when we had a verbal agreement with the seller, and due to this they put a hard cap on inspection repairs at $1000 or they will drop out.

Do I have any recourse in further investigating the problem at this point? Anyone have any experience with HVAC and can give me any advice?

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 29, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

If the home has an open design, any two story is a nightmare to keep the upstairs and downstairs the same temperature. You see builders know that spending 20k on a well designed HVAC system will not increase the price of the house over a $5,000 HVAC system.

I can't speak for your particular house, but for my home the solutions involve either exchanging the air between the rooms more often, using additional return ducts and supply ducts to even out the temperatures, using zoning gates to manage the air supply and temps, or closing off the huge holes of the open design to prevent hot air from rising. (Stupid physics!)

Thanks for the reply. It is a pretty open floor plan and it's a tri-level.

I've done some research and talked with a few people, and we're proceeding. I will probably get an HVAC inspector in just to be sure but the house is too perfect at too good of a price to be worrying about a 14° temp difference on a hot day with a 2 year old unit.

I'll probably dick around with the vents and see if I can't get the upstairs more in line with the downstairs, but aside from blinds I think I'll just live with it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Appraisal came in 1% higher than the agreed selling price, which seems to be very common looking back at the last couple pages.

Looks like there's not much more in the way of getting this house! Closing date is the 23rd. I already feel poor.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Previous owner didn't let the primer cure in the rush to get the place ready to sell, so now we have to hand peel it off.

Do Never Buy

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Found three dead bats in the past two days in my new house.

Saturday afternoon, found one while moving stuff in. It was dead on the floor in the mudroom right next to an outside door. Moved in Saturday night so all the doors were open for a couple hours. Sunday (yesterday) afternoon found two behind poo poo I moved in and sat on the floor on Friday. Same wall, adjoining room.

The attic has mesh on the apex vents and there were no sign of them in the inspection. Also heard nothing last night, which was the first night I slept in the house.

Do bats die that quickly? What's the likelihood they came in while I was moving in? There were a shitload of bugs on the interior ceiling lamps that night and no sign of dead bugs yesterday morning.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fknlo posted:

I know it's decently busy between 5 and 7. It's busier than the street I live on now, but not by a crazy amount. I just don't get the huge deal with living on a mildly busy road. The noise isn't that bad and you get used to it quickly. I'm super ok with it if it lets me get into a house at $80ish a square foot when comps are in the $100-150 a square foot range.

Kids.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

edit: ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 15, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Zhentar posted:

I'm still overall pretty happy with my purchase

Same. My house (garage) has been awesome and I regret nothing, but I went into it knowing that from a purely financial/"investment" standpoint I'm borderline retarded for buying it. Houses are horrible investment vehicles.

uwaeve posted:

hi Chloe :skink:

Rhombo? Whatup Homeland Defenser :skink:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 16, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Harmburger posted:

415 sq feet, one bathroom(and 0 bedrooms!) Though we're not having children, so it's fine by us.

I'm also probably at highest price/sq ft at $737.35

What the flying gently caress are you living in downtown Hong Kong or something?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

e: I totally forgot about the Rental Property thread... I'll move this there.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 7, 2019