Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm very tempted to buy my 3rd house right now ;but I know its unreasonable to be certain of the predicament of our future economy. With warnings about our inflating dollar is it a question of when not if the housing market starts seeing better days again. Right now I have a contract for a 3,000 squarefoot house (biggest i've ever owned)(construction costs alone are more than what I can nab it for) and there's even another one also foreclosing for 280k roughly the same size! My realtor told me I shouldn't hold my breath on flipping the house, but with all my money getting lost in the stockmarket and the bank agreeing to grant me my 3rd mortgage I feel good about this buy. I don't know how many years of interest i'll be paying until falling over in debt but I'll never be able to live with myself if this house values anywhere near the 400,000 dollar price it was sold before the subprime mortgage crisis could have been mine at half that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TraderStav posted:

It doesn't cost 6% to exit a stock position.

Houses are not investments.

DO NEVER BUY (for these lovely reasons)

vvv to be sure: quoting you didn't mean I was directing at you :)
I read somewhere that expensive houses arent good investments but inexpensive ones were. Stocks are better investments as they are better at beating inflation and return more but they aren't as safe in my opinion. Plus if you can use your rent to offset your mortgage payments I don't see why houses can't become excellent investments.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whats wrong with condos as rental properties? You don't have to provide lawn maintenance or pay for the roof. Or are they strictly the devil in terms of living in / trying to sell? Is it the really steep assocation fees? The condos I used to live at charge 300 dollars a month, but they come with cable and water so you are basically paying 200 dollars a month to not have to worry about fixing a roof or termite damage.

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 8, 2012

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am still under the impression that now is the best time to buy, rent, and wait it out if you can. Like that famous Warren Buffet quote that I am paraphrasing buy when people are scared and things are cheap.

But a random thought I read on the internet that has unsettled me a bit was one involving what happens to all the baby boomers houses when they start dying off en masse? Will many suburbs start entering lower income territory now that the generation thats following them isn't going to be able to afford the same quality life style of their boomer parents?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whats the consensus on the future of house values? I'm assuming most people assume they will begin to if they haven't already start to rise up, yes? Any major chances of housing values to stagnate in price or even decrease further?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bucket Joneses posted:

It really depends on what part of the country you're talking about.

South East U.S. I'm thinking now is an opportune time , if you had enough money and a steady income, to buy houses to rent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Help my dad wants to buy another 50k dollar house in a poor neighborhood because prices are so cheap and I am trying to get him to consider other options (or put it in a rainy day fund as hes using funds that aren't his own). Help me think of alternatives that he could put that 50k dollars into instead that would be similar investments risk wise. He already is heavily invested into cheapo houses like the one hes going to buy another of. Owns 5 or 6. He hates stocks and thinks a 50k dollar house is worth buying just for the ROI on rent.