Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. Because most people think they're all the same or don't know they're allowed to shop it around and negotiate pricing. Get 3 bids for the same loan and compare them. Pretty much the only thing you need to worry about is their ability to close within the deadline. You will likely see thousands of dollars in difference between lenders. Some are as simple as "This bid is entirely identical but this one says Mortgage Fee: $2,500" or whatever - It's the ticketmaster game but without the monopoly.

Get your bids on Loan Estimate forms, this is a HUD form - accept no substitutes. Compare the boxes and fees, then literally just call the other banks and say "I have a bid here that shows Box A at $1000 less" (ignore that this banks box B is lower, it's not relevant.)

This is great info, I have some follow up questions of you dont mind.

Would this entail getting an appraisal done for each bid? We are just looking at one mortgage company right now and the main things putting us off looking at more than one are the amount of paper work required to even get an approval letter combined with having to pay hundreds of dollars for an appraisal. We have our mortgage approval letter now and are hoping to close in the next two months or so (this is a co-op in NYC so everything takes ages.) We never got anything like a loan estimate form from the lender we are working with. How much of this process will I need to go through in order to get a loan estimate form from another lender?

Sorry if I sound totally clueless here, it's because I am...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo, I just bought a house. How hosed am I?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
oh gently caress

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

in_cahoots posted:

I’m under contract to buy a house, and my mom is now asking why I only have a realtor and not a real estate lawyer writing up the paperwork. Apparently when she bought and sold on the East Coast the realtor did the showings while the lawyer wrote up the contracts.

Is this a thing I’m missing out on? I spoke to numerous realtors and none of them mentioned a lawyer. This is in California, btw.

Its funny, it was the opposite for my wife and I. Her mother works with real estate in Texas and was really confused at first why we needed a real estate lawyer to be involved for our purchase in NY. Not sure about the rest of the East Coast, but NY requires a seller and buyers attorney to hammer out all the contract details. This is not the norm elsewhere.