Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So I'm renting and expect to continue to do so for at least the next five years, but want to start thinking about buying, 5-10 years out. Assuming my income stays stable and I don't suddenly turn completely profligate, I can expect to continue socking away a decent nest egg without otherwise impacting my retirement plans. I'm currently at a spot where I theoretically have the savings for a 20% downpayment for a place worth ~4x my gross income, so I'm curious what the general thinking is on disregarding the various rules of thumb on affordability in order to grab someplace with a higher monthly cost by relying on savings as a fallback if my income isn't as stable as I hope over the lifetime of the mortgage.

So, for example, say the rule of thumb puts me at an upper bound of $400k. If I wanted to spring for $500k and eat the higher monthly expense, what kind of warchest do I need to make this not too high a risk to bear?

Ultimately, I obviously just need to do the math and figure out my risk tolerance, but I guess I'm looking for input on things that I might need to factor into my thinking that I'm not aware of. I think I've got a handle on the obvious things which could make my assessment too rosy (closing fees; insurance; HOA dues; property tax; misc maintenance costs; hell, even furniture to upgrade from my 800sqft apartment to something with a little more space), but I'm curious what else there might be to consider.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Thanks for the input, all.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What rule of thumb are you talking about? Home value being 4x gross isn’t a super typical barometer. The typical barometer is max 30% of monthly income on monthly housing costs. Even these kinds of rules of thumb could change in 5-10 years.
Was referring to Step 2 of the OP:

moana posted:

Step 2
Check out some online calculators to see what you can afford. One rule of thumb is 2.5x your yearly income. Another rule of thumb says your mortgage payments should be less than 28% of your monthly income, another rule of thumb says your TOTAL debt payments (car, loans, mortgage) should be less than 36% of your monthly income, etc. etc.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

With the purchase that far out, the only thing you really should be doing is building your savings. You can have a 50% down payment if you want to. Higher down payment = lower monthly cost which = lower monthly payment. Plus the bonus of paying less overall interest, which at current rates could be saving you 100’s of thousands of $. Without raising your income, this is the way to safely stretch your buying power upwards.

At the end of the day from a month to month financial perspective, your monthly payment matters quite a lot, and the on paper value of the home means almost nothing.
Yep, the savings is accumulating readily enough—fairly low lifestyle inflation through my last few compensation bumps leaves a lot of breathing room. I think I'd not been adequately considering others' points that everything depends on the lender accepting a 20% down payment with a high monthly payment relative to my income. Oh well, if nothing unexpected happens and my financial priorities don't change, 50% or more for what I'm aiming at should fairly doable in my timeframe (especially if I wander back to a lower cost of living area). And, if not, I'll probably be comfortable holding off for a little longer.

Shifty Pony posted:

Additionally what you'll need as a backstop for savings will depend greatly upon your career and industry. You will want a larger fund if you are in a cyclical field (like oil and gas) or have a job where significant amounts of your income are commission (like sales).
A useful callout—I've got a fairly standard salary, though I'm hesitant to trust that my allocated RSUs will be worth what they are today, nor even that I can fully trust them to keep being granted such that they'll at least maintain my current total compensation. I've heard some lenders are used to factoring RSUs into projections, but others stick with only counting raw salary.

Condo tangents: I'm strongly inclined toward a condo or townhome, but some of the HOA fees I see listed are extreme. On the one hand, I'd certainly be more confident about moving into a building where residents are putting in the money to theoretically proactively maintain things rather than get slammed with unexpected special assessments, but I don't have good scope into how to meaningfully assess that, probably even if I'm at the point where I'm getting a look at the association's finances. Any tips?

I'm also looking to make any purchase my home for the foreseeable future, so I suspect I'd want to stick to buildings with very strict rental caps, just on the assumption that absentee landlords are more likely to prefer not investing in building upkeep than actual long-term residents. Does that seem fair?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Are you in the Seattle area? Yeah you need 20% down or a way to convincingly lie about your down payment. Ignore my 10% down ideas. There's no way you'll be able to competitively bid there with anything less than 20% down. At least not anything acceptably livable inside or in a halfway ok neighborhood
Yup. I've got the 20% down (plus costs and emergency fund) now for the range I'm interested in, but the top end of the range with that down payment pushes me outside the recommended debt servicing to monthly income ratio. But I'm in zero rush to buy, so hopefully end up waiting out high interest rates while accumulating a larger down payment that will make that ratio significantly more doable.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Kefit posted:

I bought a townhouse in the Seattle eastside last summer, and when I started shopping I was similarly unsure about how to assess an HOA. But it became fairly clear to me after seeing a few HOA packets. Here are a few things to consider:
Thanks for this! Even though plans are a ways out, getting some familiarity with how to approach this is super helpful.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Retain a good real estate attorney. If you can't afford one, you can't afford a house.
Can you expand on this? What's the best way to go about finding a "good" real estate attorney and what are some examples of how they might save your butt?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'm always perplexed that I don't see more left-wing folks fighting to take a position on their HOA boards to leverage that authority toward the betterment of the community as they see it. Like, shift things from busybody policing of minutiae to improving common areas and building community between neighbors? The stereotypical HOA situation is a nightmare, sure, but I'm perplexed that people spurn co-opting an existing vehicle for building up a solidarity network in their neighborhoods to do good within and beyond it. Dissolving an HOA and leaving every home an island seems like it should be the libertarian approach, but a lot of left-leaning folks appear to be vocally on board.

More appealing to preach burning it all down and attempting to assemble solidarity in the ashes, I guess?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I could have sworn there was some sort of "how to deal with aging parents" thread, but I'm not pulling it up. I've got a topic that has crossover between this and that hypothetical thread: what's the thread's take on going in on a duplex/ADU-equipped property with parents, combining ownership and occupancy? I had a lengthy post written with background on my parents' situation, but thought I'd toss the high-level question out there before diving into specifics. Some pros and cons, resting on the assumption that they are sufficiently stable financially and currently seem active and unimpaired:

Pros
- "keep the money in the family" versus forking over to a retirement facility (I'm a little dubious how effective this is, but they've voiced it as a concern)
- ability to buy nicer home in a better location given pooled investment
- some mutual assistance as needed (though would need to establish clear boundaries)

Cons
- very difficult to say if/when they'll need professional assisted living
- risk of inability to agree on location (I'm uninterested in anything but a walkable urban neighborhood, but they've baked in decades of suburban fears)
- relative scarcity of such properties
- limited peer community for them (though potentially alleviated by the social opportunities available from urban living, wouldn't be as direct as a proper retirement community)
- could conflict with yet unfulfilled life goals on my part (mainly, starting a family)
- complexities around ownership split and estate planning

Would obviously dodge some of the concerns with having full ownership of the property and renting the unit to them, but that's probably cost prohibitive.

e: to make it clear, I think the ideal outcome is for them to move into one of the types of communities discussed above, ideally near me. But it looks like they're very reluctant to entertain the option and would otherwise be more inclined to get a small house in some inconvenient spot and pray they don't significantly deteriorate. So the above might be an achievable intermediate position, though comes with its own heaps of issues.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 31, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Kugel, if you can make your parents listen, keep repeating over and over, "This is your retirement money. You are supposed to spend that money on your retirement. If there's anything left over, that's nice, but this is money you saved for retirement."
Yeah, I've updated my post to emphasize that I'm aiming to persuade them toward one of the types of retirement communities listed upthread, but suspect they have a strong preference against it. The duplex proposal is something of an intermediate step, mitigating some of the drawbacks of aging alone at home, though introducing a variety of other complications.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: Hmm... does this account for rent inflation? That doesn't seem configurable.
It's in the "Deluxe" mode.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which, yeah, loving blows if your job requires you to be in a specific HCOL area but doesn't pay you enough to buy, or if you're unwilling to move out of the city center for lifestyle reasons.
I'm definitely the latter, though it gets my goat that I don't hear of suburbs or small towns trying to replicate the walkable neighborhoods some young people are increasingly sticking to the cities for. There's nothing stopping Suburb X or Small Town Y from revising their zoning rules, improving their sidewalks and bike paths for a pittance of what their car infrastructure costs, and fighting for dependable transit access to their nearest hub.

As is, you're frequently stuck trading lower price per square foot for absolute car dependency, lower availability of daily essentials and basic services, and a larger percentage of regressive neighbors. I don't need to live in a metropolis, but the metropolis is the only spot even vaguely satisfying my idea of good living, unless the alternatives just aren't marketing themselves well.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I have discoveted that my counter is not stone, like I thought it was. It is also not metal, tile, laminate, wood, or plastic, and frankly I am surprised there sre other things it even could be.

I also immediately forgot what they said the name of it was though, it was dumb and the description vague but it looks and feels like stone? So now I need to figure it out again unless someone knows offhand what the mystery alternative is.
"Gosh, now what was the name of that mineral again?"
*snaps fingers*
"I got it: asbestos! Good ol' do-it-all asbestos!"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Coming from Minnesota where such is fairly unheard of, I was shocked to visit Vancouver, BC, and discover that double doors for entryways were everywhere. Just a regional status symbol?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

I just mount my TV on the ceiling and lie on the floor.
Just LOL if you and your family and friends aren't climbing into webbing anchored to your ceiling to stare down at the TV you've got lying face-up on the floor.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Add in various flavors of privately-run but publicly-funded neighborhood organizations which just serve to gather and amplify the voices of retired home owners against change before proposals even make it to official city meetings and you have a recipe for exacerbating the housing crisis.

I was on mine for a little bit where I last lived as part of a YIMBY pushback, but, looking at Google Maps, only one of the multifamily buildings along the light rail that was raised got built... so many empty lots and single-story commercial in an area theoretically rezoned for medium-density, mixed-use development.

e: New, giant mansions along the river right in the middle of the city? Flew through without objection from anyone but us urbanists.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

The constantly churning cast of characters kinda sucks, but on the other hand airbnb operators have more incentive to keep the place looking reasonably nice (ongoing marketing) than renters do.
The place not looking like a dump is nice and all, but ultimately matters far, far less to other owners than long-term maintenance. I imagine the average AirBnB operator is extremely vocal about cutting HOA fees to the bone, to the detriment of anyone hoping to make the place a long-term home. Sure, the owner of an apartment building is also going to cut corners if they don't plan to maintain the investment for more than a few years and hope they can hand it off to a sucker, but I'd intuit the AirBnB owner is going to be significantly worse about such on average. But I'm pulling all this out of my rear end, so who knows.

I've had several friends seek out and move into condo buildings with no rental caps with the explicit intention of buying elsewhere in five years and leaving the condo as an AirBnB. I'm deeply skeptical, so it'll be interesting to see how things are looking come 2029.