Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HankHill
May 4, 2009
This might be a dumb question, not sure, but in my area the housing market never really took a nosedive, however it didn't really go up much during the bubble either. This is probably due to the fact that I live in a small town in the middle of a bigger rural area. I was recently thinking about moving out of my parents' house, seeing as I graduated college back in December, and looked into renting around here, it seems as though the minimum to get anything starts at $300/mo + utilities, and the decent/nice places are $400/mo + utilities. The thing is, not many people around here, or in towns nearby, rent. The average home price for a house with 2-3 bedrooms and 1.5-2.5 baths with a 2 car garage is around $80k.

Plugging $80k into this mortgage calculator:

http://www.ucmortgages.com/qualifier-calculator.htm

$10k down, 5.25%, 30 years, I get a $395/mo mortgage payment, with a $525/mo total mortgage+insurance+PMI

Going $21k down, same stats, I get a total payment of $434/mo.

There are cheaper homes as well, but I like to use $80k as a good middle ground. With these kinds of numbers, I just don't think I can justify renting over buying. Here are my numbers because I'm sure people will be asking.

Income: $55k/yr. Take home - I'm self-employed so I just lob off 1/3rd of whatever I bring in and put it into a savings account for taxes, (around $80k/yr. gross)

Monthly expenses:
Gas: $100
Food: $250
Entertainment/Misc.: $500
Total: $850
(If I were to buy)
Electric: $200
Gas: $100
Water/Sewage/Trash: $100
Mortgage/Insurance/Taxes: $450 - assuming $21k down.

Grand Total: $1700/mo.
The rest pretty much all goes into savings.

Would it be a good idea to just hang out living with my parents for another year or so while I build up the $21k downpayment + emergency money to buy, or should I do all that saving, rent for a couple years, and then buy?

Also a couple of side questions, I put around $2400/month into the savings account for taxes, if I bought a house, would there be any special write-offs so I could use some of that money towards the down payment? And with that $8k tax rebate for closing before Dec. 1, would I actually get a check from the government for $8k, or would I just have to pay $8k less in taxes next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HankHill
May 4, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

Well someone put a bid on the house we're interested in, today we're also submitting a bid. What we have going for us is our realtor also happens to be the listing agent, so the seller would get a slight break on their fees by going with someone through their agency vs. another realtor.

We went to look at the house for the second time yesterday and it actually looked better to me this time than it did before which I was very pleased about. Hopefully by tomorrow evening we'll know if we've bought a place or not!

Hank Hill - You make tons of money, I would definitely buy over renting in your situation, and I wouldn't bother with a 30 year mortgage, definitely do a 15 year for your income vs. what your payment would be.

I'm no tax expert by any means, but I heard one way to access the $8000 obama money is to alter your W4 (for normally employed people) to take less income tax from your checks to get the money that way. So I'm assuming since you're self employed you could do something similar and then just pay in $8k less than you normally would.

Aside from your down payment, don't forget to budget for closing costs. On the house we're looking at we would need about $6k to close aside from the down payment. It's more pricey than what you're talking about but still a lot of the fees are fixed, so figure in at least another $4000 or so if you don't get seller's assistance.

Does the interest rate drop 1% or .5% with a 15 year compared to a 30 year?

And to the people asking, I am very happy where I live, and my girlfriend is happy here, almost all of my friends live here in town.

HankHill
May 4, 2009
Has anyone went through the experience of trying to get a mortgage while you are self-employed? I know that usually banks like to see a couple months worth of pay stubs, but as an affiliate marketer, I'm paid in a different way. If you have gone through it, what would you suggest, and what other advice would you have?

HankHill
May 4, 2009

moana posted:

My boyfriend is self-employed (online poker) and we made sure to do regular transfers of money to his account in the months preceding the mortgage app since he doesn't really get "paid" like normal people do. All you really need is the IRS paperwork for a couple of years prior and some evidence that you're getting paid the right amount of money each month, and you should be fine. They focused on his stated income on his tax forms. Do you have your own LLC or no? I don't know if that makes a big difference in how the process works.

No LLC, I've heard its a good idea though if you start making over $70k/year. drat, I didn't realize they required 2 years of employment data, I haven't been at it for that long. Would the be more leinient if I were to put say $65k down on a $130k house?

HankHill
May 4, 2009
My girlfriend and I are thinking about buying a house sometime in the near future, we are looking primarily in the $70-80k range (small town, far from a city) with a $10k downpayment. She has a salaried job and I am a web developer, sometimes I make $3k/month, sometimes I make $300/month.

My question is would it be better for my girlfriend, who has fairly bad credit, to get pre-approved, and I would be a co-signer, or would it be better if I got pre-approved, and she would be the co-signer? Which one would get us the better interest rate? Or would it not matter?