Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i grew up in a post and beam that was pretty much entirely open on the ground floor so i don't really see the disadvantages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stellers bae posted:

That's true, but shopping on a payment when you already know the terms of your loan isn't really comparable to the shadiness they pull at a dealership. Like, if I'm paying 2.75% fixed on a 30 year loan with no fees, why wouldn't I shop on a payment? Hell, the payment includes my taxes and insurance which the list price doesn't.

payment doesn't include the other myriad costs of home ownership

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

We had contractors over our house yesterday so that the couple buying our house could start figuring out renovations after we close next month. Instead of sanding/refinishing the hardwood floors that are original to the house, gorgeous, and in great shape, the wife wants to redo the entire house with wide ash planks.

:sigh:

I'm not angry you're angry.

people have such trash tier taste

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i'd much rather people put word hangings everywhere than rip out nice flooring

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hobbez posted:

Denver metro is up a mind boggling 25% yoy and inventory is at historic lows. Things aren’t slowing down here, yet.

To think last July I only had to come up 6% over asking and got 3% back in post inspection repairs (new roof and sewer lines!). Seemed crazy at the time but a deal on hindsight.

beware of YoY metrics - who was buying a house around 5/6/20?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

where are you gettin 2k a month for a mortgage because when i plug in some math even using bad rates, 30 year fixed 50k down on 300k house, i'm getting sub 1500 including taxes and insurance and poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

James Totes posted:

1) Part of the reason why I'm looking to cheaper, rural housing is because I'm relatively certain, 90% at minimum, my job is going to be fully remote. While we were 'impacted' by COVID-19, it mostly meant everyone left the office. And, frankly, given we have no plans to go back I suspect someone ran the money and came to the conclusion that owning a large office building is more expensive then simply having their people WFH. If it wasn't, I'd be looking at similar costs for renting in the city and that's miserably pricy. While my job isn't super useful outside of it's corporation, I believe that if the worst came to be, I'd be able to find more remote-work within the corporation itself so I don't fear my job being a large issue.
2) Second, but largely living within the family. I have nothing to my name outside of a few electronics, which is part of the motivation to move out. To own something, for lack of a better word.
3) I don't have a good answer to this. I'd like a house that is decently spaceous, doesn't look terrible, has some measure of privacy from the outside and that's really it. Two bedroom would be nice to just have a guestroom. Some manner of decent kitchen. I'd like a nice tub. Having wires and pipes made sometime after the Reagan administration would be cool too.
4) It'd be my place--economically, she wouldn't factor in and marriage is not a current thing.

Just a couple of thoughts here:
1) worst case scenario is not "I am able to find more remote-work within the corporation itself." The worst case scenario is that your existing workplace ceases to exist. What do your job prospects look like in that case?
2) Regardless of what else you do, you have a roughly 600 credit score. You'll pay over 200 bucks a month in interest alone.

I strongly advise you rent for a while, figure out what you really want and what matters to you, and build your credit score. You can start owning things for your rented apartment. I have only rented and still have a sense of ownership.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

Outside of your obvious sarcasm, I'm just going to say that this is why I simply do not understand the "accidental" landlord thing (keep your old house and rent it out when you've bought another) or even the small time 1/2/3 house in the same area small time landlord. I suppose people are just super attracted to "cheap" leverage via mortgages. It's what all the small time landlording materials push. They just don't mention the part where leverage increases volatility in both directions.

i would pay so much money to never be a small time landlord

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

every loving moron levering up to buy houses posted:

rip to u but im just built different

also if you wanna do some smalltime landlord math cut that maintenance and landscaping budget in half and assume zero percent vacancy, badabing badaboom you're clearing $200 a month!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

The general sentiment I saw was that those evil, greedy landlords should just bend over and take it, with zero consideration of the landlord's costs or the value of the private contracts they entered into.

concur OP landlordism is a disease

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CellBlock posted:

You know you can rent places with dishwashers and washer/dryers, right? I live in a tiny lovely apartment and have all three.

finding an apartment with in unit laundry significantly narrows your options in most major metros

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

iirc, our 30-minute-away full service move cost about $1000-1500 or so for a 2-3BR place. A+, would do it again.

We're getting an in-person visit for our 3BR cross country move today. The two virtual ones came in at 14k and 18k. :negative:

our move TO the midwest was $1700, our move out of the midwest (granted with probably 50% more stuff) is costing us $4500

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:nattyburn:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I agree it's a bad idea for a litany of reasons, but I don't know why you specifically think your parents end up 2MM in the hole - it's a secured loan with an asset behind it and I think that the Boston market for triple deckers is pretty secure overall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know why it took me so long, but I just realized a 20% down on a $600,000 house is $120,000 out of pocket. :shittypop:

you don't NEED to put 20% down

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's also a very big difference between corp landlord behavior at the low, middle, and high range of the rental spectrum.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

I think this guy is in every college town. I sure rented from him in Minneapolis.

same, but in Ann Arbor

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zesty

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stellers bae posted:

nah. if i bought in denver in 2006 i'd still be way, way up by now.

if it's not inflation, what's the word for 'i'm paying a lot more for everything now, the fed says it's going to get more expensive in the future, and i'm at the cusp of not being able to afford a house with my current down payment'

are you really paying a lot more for everything now or do you perceive that you are paying a lot more because a bunch of goods hit headlines for ramp up but not ramp down? my guess is that in terms of your actual seasonally adjusted expenses (eg gas always gets more expensive in the summer) you're probably paying 2-5% more for core goods.

you've tagged your money to a down payment, which means that its buying power is shrinking quickly because house prices are insane right now. but compared to your actual economic expenses that money isn't losing that much buying power.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

That's kind of an edge case though, isn't it? I believe that most people would prefer to own their home but just can't afford to do that, and that this is a problem made worse by converting primary residences into rental units.

I'm pretty anti-landlord in that I don't think individuals or small investors should become landlords for ~passive income~ and investment reasons, but lots of people move or plan to move or don't have long range certainty and prefer to rent. I have rented and still rent for this reason as the longest I've lived anywhere since age 18 is three years. Owning a home doesn't make sense in that case.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Biracial Bear has been making GBS threads up the 3d printing thread and I finally had to put him on ignore. Apparently he's wandered on here now, too. His rap sheet is a mile long, I suggest others do the same.

i don't think there should be such gatekeeping about who can/can't post here

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

laxbro posted:

Something about house buying makes people double down on their ignorance. With other BFC topics I feel like people are usually a bit more accepting of advice.

It's pretty hard, I think. It's a life changing decision and lots of people have already started down the path before they come in here.

I am dumb as gently caress about house buying but I managed to figure out that I ought to read this thread extensively BEFORE considering buying a house. Various posters' thresholds for "ruining" this thread are ridiculously low to me.

biracial bear some extremely unsolicited advice: i think you should probably decouple the idea of you getting out of what sounds like a bad/untenable current living situation with buying a house. they don't need to be related. you make sufficient money that you could put yourself in a very decent position to afford the house you want in a year or two.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you wanna do something insanely, colossally stupid YOU could buy the house and then rent it to your mom in some elaborate rent to own scheme

i think technically this is a worse idea than your original idea but it involves getting in trouble with fewer federal agencies so that's probably good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

Can't do rent to own terms on a conventionally financed property, would require an investment property mortgage likely requiring 25% or more down as well as more expensive insurance.

rats

still wanna know what the OP

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Also like, gently caress those guys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you got mortgage advice, friend

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Pretty much like this

The ones I write are generic and only use initials. No pictures. I'm hoping Washington bans them next.

how in the living gently caress can someone in that part of the north shore afford to buy a house on a public school teacher's sole income with two kids

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

A portfolio of rental properties in Gloucester. It's right there in letter. :guillotine:

lol missed that bit

edit: you're also a grown man that goes by AJ god drat dude

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it would obviously be somewhat bad for the economy etc and a lot of poor people would get really hosed over but i am pretty sure some kind of mortgage crisis is the only way i'm buying property in greater Boston

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yo when go in for a house im writing the loving letter because: thread title

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Thanks.

I don’t have a stake in the house so :shrug:, just making sure family isn’t getting ripped off by a lawyer. I appreciate the answers.

lawyers are expensive because they are worth it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the same type of absolute idiots are involved in the rental market but you just have to deal with them less at one go

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

redreader posted:

We will just have a CRV and some kind of minibus or van with seats, and no trailer. So the route through new mexico has one recommendation so far.

Another question: will moving companies be able to tell me when it'll get there? Like, if they take all of our crap, then we hire the van and pack the kids and cats and leave the next day, what happens if they get there before us? Or is there no chance of that? My wife seems to think 'no chance of that, they're only allowed to drive 8 hours a day' but I thought that bush signed an executive order removing limits on driving times for truckers or something?

And are there any recommended moving companies for 'properly done moves'?

edit: we're in the san francisco bay area, google maps tells us to drive via i-70 or i-80 lol.

they will lie to you about the arrival date, they were off by 2 weeks on a guaranteed day delivery for me. it loving sucked.

edit: seriously unless your furniture is NICE and you have a strong attachment to it you should get rid of it. you can buy a bookcase on arrival (well kind of, global supply chains are hosed) rather than paying someone to move it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mine was Mayflower, a highly reputable national company! gently caress those guys!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

redreader posted:

I got a quote for 13800 and am trying for another , so it does for sure look like the two quotes that somehow I got for 3000 and 4000 about a month ago were entirely misleading. I have no idea how that happened. I doubt high demand could have caused that big a difference.

some guys will quote you a gently caress-off rate if they don't want to do the move. make sure a real person comes to your home to do the inspection.

amethystbliss posted:

Do some virtual walk throughs sooner rather than later and see where they come in at. It really seems like a complete crapshoot based on the quotes thrown around in this thread, but just be prepared that it may very well be more than $7k especially coming out of the Bay Area. We were verbally quoted $10-$13k until we did the walkthrough and then it doubled. We didn't want our stuff to be held hostage, so only considering binding quotes.

Ah, poo poo. Did they comp you anything for being so late? I've heard part of the issue with consistency across the national companies is that they're all brokers and it's down to the specific company you're working with. In our case, Mayflower were ahead of schedule at every step. They called to confirm it worked for us, and we were happy with the efficiency. But also scared if we said no, we'd get bumped out a few weeks based on our friends' horror stories.

OP, once you get the final quote it's definitely worth doing the math to make sure your stuff is worth paying movers.

yes, we got $100/day, plus my wife, god bless her, kicked up a huge fuss so they gave us $400 extra - so $2K for 16 days late. I would have paid that $2K for the 16 days easily.

They do use local agents etc. Same parent company as United Van Lines, actually.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

It's not a million dollar home, apparently.

look im the owner and i think its worth a million dollars ok

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:yeshaha:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Upgrade posted:

Call our mortgage broker to follow up on the appraisal. She starts telling us it came in low, we need to contest this, look at comps, etc. etc... and then after a few minutes of this goes "oh whoops! wrong people! sorry, yours isn't in yet."

Jesus christ.

we had this when my wife was in dispute with our movers - the GM of the moving company called her and was disputing basic facts of the situation.

turns out he was reading the wrong line on the disputes.xls file

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr Newsman posted:

Starting to earnestly look in the Boston area.

Pre-approved on Friday, open-house on Saturday, offer on Monday.

We got told we were one of two offers (!) and the sellers wanted best by Tuesday so we resubmitted another 25k (total 50k over asking) and got beat out.

Would have been wild to get it first offer but welp. would have preferred just getting beat out instead of having a glimmer of hope.

Search goes on.

im getting geared up to get loving owned by greater Boston in a couple years, where are you looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

[*] Property Tax - I didn't realize I was able to look up property tax rates

:stare: i got so many questions man first of all starting with how do you think states and municipalities are able to charge property taxes and continuing on with how you think those rates are set all the way in to "do you fundamentally understand the american system of government"