Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I received a windfall recently and suddenly have enough capital to make a substantial downpayment on a home. It's enough where we could put down a payment that would allow for us to take on an affordable 15 year mortgage on a pretty nice home in a fairly desirable area. Just for context... the downpayment I have access to is large relative to our annual income, at least in the short run. I could accomplish this and still have a significant cash emergency fund and some decent funds left over to invest towards retirement.

I think I want a home for the right reasons. We're not moving any time soon, and kids could be in the relatively-near-future.

What's keeping me back is I live in a pretty expensive, seller's market. Going totally on gut it seems like it has room to continue to fill in and grow but I could also be buying into a size-able bubble. That being said, I see the purchase as more of an investment in long term stability/predictability/freeing up future cash flow, not necessarily something I absolutely need to make money on.

EDIT1: I researched some things and it seems like our metro area bottomed out on cyclical inventory, days on market, new listings, in 2017... All trending up now.

Anyway. Should I do it?

i just don't want to squander what i have received please help :ohdear:

hobbez fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Interesting thoughts on the 15 v 30 yr debate. I think it's ultimately true it comes down to personal preference and situation.

Really my question was if my reasoning for buying a home was sound. I was never expecting to be able to get into a mortgage at this point in life and am just looking for some perspective if it makes sense to make this move (especially in a hot, expensive, sellers market) as an investment in equity and long term familial stability.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Any tips on shopping around for lenders? My main bank quoted me 3.6%. Wanted to see if I can do better. Do I just google “mortgage lenders Denver Colorado”

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

You guys want to help me pick apart this place I’m going to go see tomorrow?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...source=txtshare

this checks a ton of boxes for us. Two car garage, big yard, useable kitchen, lots of natural lighting, walk in closet. Lots of natural lighting. Broadly speaking, it’s, a really good location for both our commutes, with some nearby trails and open space. Seems like a nice neighborhood. Not excessively big for just me and my girlfriend but room to grow if need be.

It is at the top of our price range, however, and the cabinetry, counter tops, and appliances look a little dated. Seems like a lot to pay when we may want those expensive upgrades.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Thanks guys. Did a viewing and we were really not feeling it. The yard was significantly smaller then I was expecting. I anticipated this, but to see it in person... Wow, a wide angle lens is a powerful thing.

Soooo.... We put an offer in on this bad boy today.

Deleted

In contrast, everything about this place viewed much better in person then online. There isn't really an interior aspect we can identify that would need an expensive upgrade or change. The style really suits our taste and everything appears to be in excellent shape.That being said, they already had an above asking offer in hand so our agent advised us to come back offering an extra 15 with some appraisal gap coverage. I threw in 10k of appraisal gap coverage. Our market is extremely hot, most decent places we like go in a couple days. I don't think this is very unusual for Denver.

Just wondering if you guys think Im getting carried away? Looking at previous sales in our specific neigboorhood, we would have the most expensive home on our block by approximately 5% or so. The other homes seem well cared for and maintained, with mostly tidy lawns, etc. It's pretty classic middle class suburbia. Surrounding neighborhoods are more expensive; there is a neighborhood a five minute walk away where the homes have more interior sq footage, but cost around 20% more. For the city, this is an average to below average priced home.

Things are still within our budget, and I am excited and hopeful they except our offer. I felt like I was getting a steal at 420, and I feel good about 435. Just wondering if it's foolish to buy the "nicest" house on the block I guess?

And of course I'm wondering..... you guys like the place?

hobbez fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 19, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

therobit posted:

I've looked at a lot of appraisals from Broomfield, although I've never been closer than a layover in the Denver Airport. It looks like a good deal price wise compared to everything I've seen.

Is this your first home? Focus on the structural stuff. The cosmetic poo poo can wait. I'm 7 years in and FINALLY going to renovate my kitchen and bath. But my house was a pile of poo poo to begin with and had a leaking roof and I had to reframe a wall and replace the soffits and fascia borders with no experience. My dad and I also ran ducts and added a furnace. Don't buy a pile of poo poo with no furnace.

A warning though: Colorado has a higher than reasonable rate of home price inflation and some lenders are pulling back on how much they will finance because of that. Same is true for Oregon and Washington and some other states though. If you can afford it and want to live there long term, go for it and don't try to time the market.

Thanks man!

I’d agree, it’s kind of a runaway market. We’re planning on setting up for the medium term, 5 years at least. It’s possible we’re buying into a dip but hey, who knows. The market is unpredictable. It’s a home that we can really afford and we like it. We’re ready to live in a home. If we take a little bit of a hair cut on it at the end of the day, it wouldn’t be the end of the world...

Appreciate the advise. We’ll see if our bid wins. Really looking forward to being at the inspection and really getting a look at the bones of the place

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Sooo post inspection and our objection deadline is Tuesday. Some insight into any of the following would be greatly appreciated:

1. Renovations without permit. This is the biggest issue that I feel like I’m not sure how to resolve or if I’m being excessively paranoid as a first time home buyer. A quick google search said that Unpermitted renovations can cause issues down the road, obviously if the municipality finds out about it but also in the case that someone is injured in a non permitted area then home owners insurance may not cover it.

While I doubt anything structural was touched (load bearing walls, etc.), the house has definitely undergone a number of renovations that were without permit. There is a new-ish Trex 10x10 deck with stairs going down to the backyard, and the kitchen and master bath were redone all without permit. I’m asking my realtor to obtain further clarification/disclosure from the sellers about what was done and how much of it required plumbing/electrical work to get a better picture. I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt, and hoping that most everything was refinished or just upgraded. Maybe in that case it wouldn’t be so odd that there aren’t any permits? Perhaps these didn’t require permits if they weren’t major renovations, but more cosmetic updates? Who knows. Hopefully they’ll have a reasonably sufficient explanation. For context, the sellers owned the home for 20 years so this isn’t exactly a flip.

Nonetheless, the deck should have definitely had a permit issued. Any insight into how much of a risk I’m taking on with regards to this issue?

2. Aluminum Wiring: there is a mix of copper and aluminum wiring. I’m not sure what goes where, and plan to touch base with the inspector to see if he has any feel for where the copper wire goes. The copper wire was likely done during the aforementioned kitchen renovations. My retired electrician pal says if it runs to high load areas like the kitchen and laundry room, we’re probably in pretty good shape. Throw some pigtails on the other outlets and it should be in reasonably safe condition overall.

We’re also asking for some sewer and roof work to be done, but I think I understand those issues pretty well.

I hope that’s coherent. I’m going in to work but wanted to get this out there in case any of you goons could lend some advise.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 6, 2020

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm priced out but my wife won't let us move.

Edit: genuinely stressed if I'll be able to do my job safely for 4 months at sea knowing I'm plummeting out of the middle class for her sentimentality about living near friends and family. I only sleep a few hours a night and we fight about it constantly but she won't believe stories like yours and thinks we will be able to buy something.

You should be able to save a pretty solid downpayment making 200k a year. And with that income you're really not "plummeting" anywhere.

The market is pretty wild in some areas, but you also seem to be getting pretty bad information from somewhere. 30% being a bad year? C'mon man, you need some perspective.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Can't help bumming around on zillow every couple weeks to see what stuff is going for in my area. Mostly validates my above-asking purchase last summer, which is nice. Came cross this little guy.

I can't imagine paying that much for a kitchen with no oven or stove. And no cabinet space. Sure the wood shelving/backsplash above the dishwasher is cute now but when you're out of cabinet space and it's a cluttered mess I feel like you're going to fall out of love pretty quickly. That could just be my minor OCD talking, though.

Everything else is pretty nice but that kitchen needs to be re-thought. Anyway, I found it amusing.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Sirotan posted:

What the actual hell, I have never seen something like this before. It has to be hidden in that kitchen pantry, right?? 6 days on the market and already pending.

Every other appliance is listed as included, down to a microwave that's hidden somewhere. There is no oven.

Hope you like lean cuisine!

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any signs that the housing market may be slowing? I've been noticing that homes on the more expensive end seem to be sitting longer/cutting prices, sometimes by significant amounts. Presumably that's where the market begins to cool first?

I feel like just looking at Zillow is just a pretty shoddy way of following the market generally. That’s more useful for understanding things at a very localized, neighborhood/city level. My metro area’s realtor association releases a monthly public reports that shows the average closing price, closing numbers, inventory numbers, for all price brackets in roughly 250k increments. Its useful to get an update without having to drudge through dozens of listings. There’s probably one in your area too

Edit: inventory is such a key driver of this market that I think that will tell us all we need to know in the near future

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

You shouldn't be buying if staying only 5 years is any sort of real possibility.

I don’t think this is necessarily true. Obviously it’s better to live there longer, but assuming an average historical rate of return of 2% makes buying a toss up at 5 years. If 5 years is a realistic minimum, with say the potential to be there up to 10, I don’t think it’s a sure fire bad decision to purchase with that range of possibilities.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

Let's pretend 2% a year. Transaction costs of just the real estate agents eat the first three years. Mortgage origination, appraisals, recording, moving costs, etc are now eating into the next two years more or less, disproportionately more for less expensive homes.

True the value of the home would matter significantly here. 200k vs 400k makes for a big swing in appreciation year over year. Obviously you also have maintenance costs on top.

I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk but I don’t think it’s a hard stop either if that’s your timeline. I’d say that’s really the bare minimum, though

hobbez fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 20, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

This is true only if you believe your assertion that homes go up at 2% per year. My response was to entertain that suggestion to show how even with that it's not a great idea.

I do not think your assertion is realistic or predictable on a time scale of merely 5 years.

Ok I ran it back and if you assume 1% in maintenance per year you’re right, you’re in the red, but not by that much. If you consider the fact that there is the alternative possibility you do hit year 7+ in the home, where you’d be in the theoretical black, it may still be worth the risk that you may opt out of the home earlier.

Let’s also not forget all the wonderful, non-monetary benefits of experiencing the joys of home ownership

Also 2% is the national average rate of home appreciation historically. Seems as good an assumption as any

hobbez fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 21, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

You're not understanding the important point here: 2% per year over a timeline of 5 years is basically an irresponsible thing to count on. That's not how these things work.

Also, 1% per year is a rough average which AGAIN requires a lot more than 5 years to start looking like a number that works.

You seem to be taking decades long trend numbers and convincing yourself that they can be equally divided annually, or at least over the course of half a decade. That's not how any of this works.

Ok so just out of curiosity what is a responsible timeline, in your opinion?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

Timeline for what? Buying a home, or the other things you're talking about?

Buying a home would be the shortest I think. You're looking nearer to 10 years, but this is very market dependent, since all real estate is local. For 1% maintenance costs kind of things to work out? Longer. A lot longer. Because things like roof and HVAC replacements are a port of that, and those are much longer timleines than a decade.

I recognize every situation is unique. A rationale individual would not expect to spend 1% on maintenance if they’re buying a house with a dilapidated roof and busted HVAC system.

Ultimately I agree with you about all of this. For me, in my situation, I’m in a place where in 5 years, could I see myself earning more, wanting to upgrade, whatever? Sure. I have endless employment opportunities in my market, family nearby, and access to all the recreating I could want. If it doesn’t make financial sense at the time, am I prepared to spend 10-15 years in this house? Would that work for me and my family? Yes, absolutely.

Really you should kind of ask yourself, when buying a primary residence, if you would be ok living there forever. That answer should be a pretty strong yes.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

She said (sellers of said house) apparently they had a previous inspection/quote for 100k+ in stucco repairs.

It’s stories like these that make it absolutely mind blowing to me folks are willing to waive inspections in the buying process. It seems so reckless to give that up. Appraisal gaps? Sure, appraisers might be lagging the market. If there were 5 offers at that number, and the appraisal is short, we’ll I’d argue it was possibly under-appraised. But waiving the inspection? You risk so much doing that. It’s not worth it.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Isn’t this, to some degree, expected with historically low interest rates and soaring home values. I would be interested in seeing this graph on a longer timeline.

And all I hear about is how this time is different, people have equity, making full cash offers, etc. I can’t speak to the truth of that, but it’s the prevailing narrative. Major factors that obviously differentiate this situation from 2008.

It doesn’t seem to be particularly helpful or interesting to just drop a one off statistical corollary to 2008 and dip on the thread.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

It's been all of THIRTY MINUTES since they posted that. Is this what "dipping" on a thread looks like now?

I just meant more posting that without any context or analysis just kind of seems like low effort doom posting but whatever.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

Oh no! They posted something that has started a conversation on a discussion forum! For shame!

I guess the likes of you pmchem and others have spoiled me with your good posts

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

pmchem posted:

yes.

you can get the raw data here for the complete timeline available: http://www.freddiemac.com/research/datasets/refinance-stats/index.page

the relevant data is on the "cash-out vol qtrly" tab. notably, one thing they did not plot was column "1. Total Cash-Out Dollars as a Percentage of Aggregate Refinanced Originations UPB", although they did plot every other data series from that tab.

as the size of the housing market has grown, just plotting those raw $billions numbers takes it out of the context of the larger market. column "1" shows that the percent cash-out has actually DECREASED from 2018 through 2020. and substantially, too: from ~22% to ~6%. contrast that to the GFC, where values went from ~10% in early 2004 to the 20's and 30's from 2005-2008.

the fact is, mortgage credit standards changed substantially post-GFC (see, for example (a)). and then when the pandemic hit, mortgage lenders tightened even more (b)
(a) https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/after-the-2008-crisis-mortgages-are-safer-but-tougher-to-come-by/
(b) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-08/mortgage-lenders-tighten-screws-on-u-s-credit-in-echo-of-2008

while the pandemic has caused credit problems, of course, some of the improved credit standards post-GFC are reflected in these FRED charts:
here, you see that mortgages as a percent of individuals' readily available cash is way improved since 2006-2008
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MDSP
and here, we see the HELOCs have been in a consistent downtrend since the GFC, and are basically at 2003 levels (in a much larger market today!)
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RHEACBM027NBOG

Thanks for this. Really good stuff. I'd love to keep this discussion going as I think it's really interesting to monitor both the RE and commodity markets right now. Things are moving so fast.

Yeah overall it just seemed blatantly nonsensical to measure these equity draw downs in terms of nominal value when the quantities to be compared between 2008 and 2021 are... incomparable. Compounded with the contextual situation with rates, the pandemic, and rising asset prices everywhere it just seemed silly to post a one-off graph implying LOOK, 2008 ALL OVER AGAIN with absolutely no context or development. I might as well just drop off a graph showing my house is up 10% YOY, as if we learn absolutely anything from that.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How enforceable is a realtor exclusivity contract?

One of the realtors I met with was really attractive. Basically they're using an analytics drive approach and interchangeability of realtors within the company to try and exploit the inefficiency of limits on any individual realtors capacity for action. Also talked a lot about using their market share, about 20 transactions a month, to either pair us with another one of their sellers or put pressure on opposing real estate agents that don't want to jeopardize a relationship with a larger actor. Obviously that stuff favors them but I see how it could favor us as well. They talked a lot about the incentive for a realtor to do volume, and thus push through a sale even when it isn't in the buyers interest. In theory their volume in this hot market mitigates that desire because pushing us into a deal we back out of is the much bigger problem for them than postponing our making an offer.

All this is to say I liked their pitch but part of it was we have a system, we provide the power of that system to you, we don't want you to take that systemic knowledge, drop us, then use it to buy a home on your own or with someone else. Makes some sense but I despise the idea of signing an exclusivity contract. So, does anyone know how enforceable it would be if I just broke that contract clause if we're unhappy? I did something similar with a bullshit non-compete at an old job and my employer didn't even bother reaching out to me because they knew a court would never do anything about it. Plus it probably wouldn't be worth their legal fees.

The majority of this sounds like total bullshit to me.

Individual realtors capacity for action? What does this mean? To like, arrange and get to last-minute showings and stuff? This isn't special, it's bare minimum. Who cares if you are paired with one of their sellers? Is the seller's agent going to break their ethical duty to the seller and push them to take your below market offer, just because both REAs work for the same company? I don't really get what they're selling with that, the seller is going to take the best offer no matter where it comes from (or at least they should).They don't have any special "system" or "knowledge" either. This all sounds like marketing.

I don't know really anything about how exclusivity clauses are monitored or enforced. I feel like it's more psychological for the buyer, makes people feel committed/tied to one broker. Regardless, I wouldn't really put a lot of value on their "system".

They're just REAs. It's not rocket science.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 30, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Best offer means different things to different people. Some want a rent back, some want no repairs, some want to sell to someone local, etc etc. If we share a realtor they know what both of our wants are and if it's possible to forge a win win. With the additional layer of communication barrier it's harder to figure out those connections.

An single realtor or team of two have a lot less man hours at their disposal than a team of 20. If my emergency conflicts with the funeral a realtor couple are attending I'm hosed. Bigger team reduces the likelihood of that happening. Pretty obvious value to me.

I should also mention this realtor was highly recommended to me by my union president after they helped him buy a house he's very happy with. He's very knowledgeable about markets and contracts so that carries more weight than the typical rec from a friend.

I can see the point about having a back up realtor available for showings in case the primary is out of town or whatever.

I disagree that two realtors from different agencies are less able to achieve a Pareto optimal outcome then two within the same agency. Further there is reason to be concerned about conflicts of interests if the negotiating parties are that comfortable with each other. In negotiation it’s actually a liability to have the alternate party so familiar with your optimal outcome or “best” offer.

If you like them, go for it, but I’d be vary wary of the exclusivity clause and I’m skeptical of the value of most of what they presented in their pitch. I’m not saying they’re necessarily bad, I’m just not buying a lot of what they’re selling as you describe it.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 30, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Denver's pretty hot, right?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/510-Garfield-St-Denver-CO-80206/13327840_zpid/

Guy has been trying to sell for 10 years. We're now at the exact same price it was listed for back in 2011.

Sucks to be that guy. It was off the market for 6 of those years though.

And it seems the most drastic competition and growth is in lower price brackets. Luxury housing like that can tend to have more protracted listings, right.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

stellers bae posted:

I've heard some people say this is a frothy market and it's why they're staying out (as buyers). I've heard others make the argument that, with the rapid inflation we've seen in many areas, getting into more real-estate and letting the loans inflate themselves away (to an extent) makes it smart to buy now even at high prices. Do either of these arguments make sense?

The short answer is yes, holders of fixed rate debt (or commodities like real estate) benefit from inflation. There is, however, no certainty well see broad inflation across the economy. There are plenty of deflationary pressures on the market, and if that occurs, your big bet on inflation could backfire. What if wages stagnate, or you lose your job? What if housing prices (gasp) drop?

This is ultimately some version of “timing” the market. I think most people have inflation on the brain, but it’s far from a foregone conclusion and mortgage backers account for the potential for inflation in the loans they offer anyway.

I don’t think it’s bad to consider the potential for inflation in building your asset portfolio, but you should be similarly hedged against the opposing scenario.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 3, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

30-40 year old houses are largely teardowns or should be, and that's been the case forever.

I don’t understand how this can possibly be true. Like... every home in Denver was built in 1970 or earlier

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

GEMorris posted:

Buying a 20th century reproduction of an 18th century house just so I can drone on and on about the difference between simulation and simulacra at cocktail parties.

As a bit.

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Greensboro/3411-Gaston-Rd-27407/home/94688318

Can’t wait to leave Denver to move somewhere my cash gets me this far

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Isn't 60% down a questionable decision when rates are this low, at least for min/maxing pedant goons? Although it does keep your monthly payment stupid low so your cash flow is higher.

It makes sense if you’re trying to put yourself into a nicer home in which you could not otherwise afford the monthly payment based on your current income. Eg you have a phat lump of cash sitting around and a 150,00 mortgage creates a healthier/more sustainable DTI ratio then a 200,000 mortgage.

60% is a lot, though.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Denver metro is up a mind boggling 25% yoy and inventory is at historic lows. Things aren’t slowing down here, yet.

To think last July I only had to come up 6% over asking and got 3% back in post inspection repairs (new roof and sewer lines!). Seemed crazy at the time but a deal on hindsight.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

beware of YoY metrics - who was buying a house around 5/6/20?

Fsho.

But neither data points are particularly anomalous but rather fit roughly into broader trend lines so I’m not gonna says it’s that far off

hobbez fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 6, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

I bought the first house I went to see in person- to view 20 houses in my budget in my area would likely take a year/18 months+

We did have a very small search radius we wanted to buy in- literally just two adjoining estates which definitely didn’t help with the availability of properties!

But, one month in and we are happy with our choice! Obviously your mileage may vary but looking at 20+ houses in a matter of days sounds exhausting and surely all of the houses meld together after seeing so many?

We saw three houses in person, total. The second we put an offer in on and won and it’s turned out great. 20+ houses seems unnecessary as a “minimum” but everyone’s situation is different.

I did look at every listing on MLS for like 3 months. Probably hundreds of listings. We also had some pretty confining factors that narrowed our search. I didn’t want anything bigger then 2000 sq ft, it’s just me and my partner right now and I don’t need to furnish/heat more then we can use. That limited our search some. I also lived in a nearby area and had a pretty decent feel for the area, if not the specific neighborhood.

It was also June of 2020. Weird time to buy a house. No open houses, super low inventory, and you had to wear gloves the entire time you were in the house. Technically only our realtor was allowed to touch anything.

It can’t hurt to hit a lot of open houses or see a lot of properties, but I think that would really start to burn me out.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

School of How posted:

I don't see why not. If I was a seller, and I got 20 offers, and the best offer a happened to be contingent on their other offers being rejected, then I'd might still accept that offer. Why wouldn't I? If two days later I get a message telling me the offer I accepted just got receded because another one of their offers got accepted, then I'll just accept the second best offer out of the 19 remaining. No skin off my back.

How is a "only if my other offers get rejected" contingency so much crazier than "only if my previous house gets sold" contingency or any other contingency?

If your offer is so strong that they’re willing to take a contingency like this why do you need the contingency in the first place? You should be able to land these properties outright.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

moana posted:

If you are not maxing out other tax advantaged accounts, you should use the cash to do that rather than pay off a really low interest loan imo. I am on team "don't pay off your mortgage early" in today's environment.

Forget the monthly payment, look at the overall picture and opportunity cost. If you can invest that money, do you think it'll make you more than the 3% you're paying in interest?

I agree with this to the extent that your current payment is comfortable (you are under, like, 28% DTI) and will use the funds not applied to the mortgage to invest.

Sub 3% is just such a good deal. There’s no rush to pay that down, if your monthly payment is in a good spot relative to your income

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Glumwheels posted:

I know, it’s not lost on us either but so far it hasn’t bitten us in the rear end because we’ve only lost deals due to not having the highest offer. When I saw that house closed Friday with a lower price than what we put on their neighbor’s house, that’s when I was irritated that it was either our indecision, the listing agent doing some fuckery, or our agent not pulling his weight to prevent the house from being sold out from under us like that. We’re giving him probably to the end of this week and then if we have to he can list our place and we’ll go with the agent who’s selling homes like crazy in the neighborhood we want to buy in.

Ya and do you really wanna wait until the “oh gently caress he really blew it and we didn’t get our dream home” moment to make that move?

Seems like that maybe already happened

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

GEMorris posted:

New electrical panel to replace a federal pacific one and bring it up to code? 5k, carbon fiber straps to reinforce the basement walls? 12k, entirely new hvac system because the current one is starting to fail and was poorly designed on top of that?

Scary!

Why are you replacing the federal pacific one? Is it one of the bad ones that tend to fail spectacularly and start fires or something?

What about HVAC systems fails, outside of the central unit? I’ve heard this a few times but don’t get how the central ducting, etc could get so catastrophically bad it needs to be gutted.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

stellers bae posted:

I've got a chunk of cash from selling my last house and I'm watching, bemusedly, as it inflates away into nothing. It should have been worth 20% of any home we were looking at, but now we're at the point where it's baaarely there due to increasing housing prices.

I'm torn, it felt like this in 2015 when I bought my last house (haha, it was nothing like this), and I'm so loving glad we just YOLO'd in and lived in a place we loved and made cash doing it. Something's clearly hosed with the market now but frantically tossing my cash into a departing boat like a stupid tourist seems like the right thing to do instead of just keeping it in savings and potentially buying a cheeseburger with it in 2030. Any thoughts?

You should make a decision about home ownership based on the lifestyle, your long term goals, etc.

Basically, the last thing you should do is try to buy in to an appreciating market “to make money”. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster. The market changes.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

stellers bae posted:

nah. if i bought in denver in 2006 i'd still be way, way up by now.

if it's not inflation, what's the word for 'i'm paying a lot more for everything now, the fed says it's going to get more expensive in the future, and i'm at the cusp of not being able to afford a house with my current down payment'

This is true but you’re also speaking with the benefit of hind-site and to benefit from long term growth like that you need to be willing to hold for 10+ years for you to recover your equity. If this is the case for you, then great, that’s one of the baseline criteria for buying a house being a “good idea”. But know there is the possibility you’ll end up biting your nails for 6+ years while you kick yourself for buying at the ATH.

I get where you’re coming from. It’s hard not to see inflation everywhere right now. But there are a lot of scenarios where we actually see deflation. The Fed could (gasp) raise interest rates. This alone would put a huge damper on price growth everywhere, or even spark a pullback.. Suddenly your pile of cash would look a lot more attractive. This also says nothing of the other risks associated with purchasing a home. You can capture market gains in other ways while living somewhere you like.

You should buy because it fits your lifestyle, goals, and finances. Timing the market in any way is a fools errand. One piece of news can flip the market on its head. Anyone telling you something else is pure speculation.

We could easily be saying in 2025 “can you believe he bought in 2021? In that market?”. The opposite could also come to be.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 14, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

laxbro posted:

LOL this is comical and something I haven't really looked into as a millennial that is new to RE.

3% Interest: $3,204 PITI for 750k home (assuming 1% prop tax and 50/month insurance with 20% down payments)
7% Interest $4,666 PITI for 750k home (assuming 1% prop tax and 50/month insurance with 20% down payments)
15% Interest $8,261 PITI for 750k home (assuming 1% prop tax and 50/month insurance with 20% down payments)

If rising rates actually depress home prices then this will be good for us since we push most of our savings into tax advantaged accounts so our cash reserve is relatively modest for the area where we would like to buy. In any case we're going to start looking at homes at the beginning of 2022 - with the hope of buying summer 2022.

You have to counterweight this analysis with the fact that inflation is caused by too much money chasing too few goods. Meaning if inflation (and, correspondingly, interest rates) hits this level people likely will have the money to pay these rates, which will conversely cause a housing price increase.

Deflation causes housing prices to decrease, not inflation

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Tyro posted:

Hell yeah sounds like I bought at the peak.

We are closing next week!

Hell yea!

Time will tell the tale. Less mortgages are being written because everyone has now refinanced.

And inventory is low so there are less sales happening in general.

Well see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

I bet the appraiser just thought that was the sale price and forgot there was an extra 1k tacked on