Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

PageMaster posted:

Is there anything specific I should ask them over a phone interview to further check them out?
Does anyone know if the NACHI is reputable?
Is the withholding of sample reports common practice and a sign of anything? I've noticed that about an equal number of other inspectors in the area do and don't share reports.

In my experience, inspectors are going to tell you the same basic things about their process, I'm not sure you'll be able to glean much of value over the phone except perhaps a read into their general personality/character. One thing you might ask is if they use thermal imaging to identify possible sources of moisture in walls/floors/ceilings which could indicate dry rot or other issues. Also check to see if they do any invasive inspecting- for example I've seen inspectors use thin sharp metal probes to poke very small holes through drywall, joists/beams in crawlspaces, etc. where they detect or suspect deterioration.

NACHI looks like an online certification that doesn't require much except $499 to take the course. I wouldn't put much stock in it. ASHI on the other hand requires applicants to have 250 paid and verified inspections before they can be certified. If you don't have a solid referral from someone who doesn't have a direct or indirect financial interest in the inspection outcome, I'd go with someone with ASHI certification.

I used to work with a home inspector and he'd never give out a full report. Sometimes he'd show people a page or two but that's it. Note too that a full report can run 30-40 pages or more. Then again he was well-established and got steady work through referrals and didn't need to do any marketing, so I don't know if this is common practice or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Let's say an agent is acting as both the buyer's and seller's agent. The agent gets multiple offers- several at asking price, one $10k above asking, and the last one $100k above asking.

Is the agent under any legal obligation to inform the last buyer that the offer doesn't have to be that high to be accepted?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Sundae posted:

It depends entirely on your state.

But the point ought to be moot because you should never, ever allow a dual agency agreement from your realtor.

Agreed. Thanks for the feedback.

lampey posted:

The listing agent still owes a duty to the seller over the buyer in most states in a dual agency situation. The listing agent can only disclose what information the seller approves about other offers

Thanks. In my experience, a buyer's agent can often glean information about competing offers from a cooperative seller's agent, e.g. a buyer's agent says how about we offer $X, and the seller's agent says with a wink, "I'm not sure that offer will be accepted by the seller," rinse and repeat until the seller's agent says "Ok this one has a chance." I was just wondering what happens if a buyer in a dual agency situation offers well above the highest offer.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Motronic posted:

That's not "gleaning information", it's "negotiating" which is part of what the agent's commission is paying for them to do on your behalf. There is no secret code. There are no absolutes. Some realtors that know each other probably just outright lay their cards on the table. Others are playing games. Some are good negotiators. Many are not.

I was under the impression that the amount of other offers are not allowed to be discussed with a buyer/buyer's agent.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

alnilam posted:

A scrupulous agent will have a harder time doing this in a dual agent situation. They can nudge and wink all they want when you're the one they're representing, because they don't know the number for sure either. Once they're involved on both sides they have to be much, much more careful in what they say because they provably know the real number, so they're much more able to be credibly accused of manipulating the deal.

Exactly.

alnilam posted:

It's very awkward for even a good agent, too, because they also don't know how much their knowledge of the other side might be subconsciously influencing what they say.

Avoid dual agent situations wherever possible. My agent said if we wanted to buy one of his listings he would pass us on to one of his colleagues.

Makes sense.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Motronic posted:

Whether that is true or not actually has no bearing on what I said. Just because they are allowed to discuss it doesn't mean they will and it also doesn't mean they will provide accurate information if they are discussing it.

We may be talking past one another. If A is not allowed to tell B what $X is, but B can obtain this information from A in such a way that protects A from technically violating the regulation, I wouldn’t call that a negotiation, even if it’s common practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Epitope posted:

I don't think there's any regulation like that, and definitely not universal. A buyer can make the seller sign a non-disclosure thing before putting in an offer, but barring that the seller can disclose if they want.
https://www.homelight.com/blog/multiple-offer-disclosure/

interesting, thanks. I've never heard of listing agents openly disclosing numbers with buyer's agents. Seems like that would be quite a game-changer, and maybe not something that would benefit the seller when keeping the actual number undisclosed could prompt higher offers than needed to exceed the current highest offer.