Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

geetee posted:

Why only 5 years? From what I understand, you should lock down these lows rates for as long as possible. (I'm assuming the rates in Canada have dropped like they have in the US.)

Canadian mortgages don't allow you to lock in for longer than 5 years. Well that's not entirely true, you can go nuts and lock in for 10 years but the guaranteed rate will skyrocket. In Canada we get new mortgages every year/few years based on a long term amortization schedule.

To the guy above, with a 950 mortgage you're fine unless you both have a problem with going out to eat and partying it up often. If you can't manage that mortgage on that budget, you can't manage any mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

geetee posted:

Ah, interesting! I hope that costs less than what refinancing costs in the US?

After the term is up, there is no cost to refinance, it's a part of the cycle. The costs are insane if you want to break your 5 year/3 year whatever term.

What really sucks rear end is interest is not tax deductible.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
As a Canadian, I have to wonder what all these 'closing costs' are for USA buyers. I don't know it just seems like extra ways to screw buyers when buying a home.

In Canada you have legal fees to transfer the title (About $1k) and possibly real estate agent commission and that's it. Up here the lawyers handle any escrow issues, what else do you need to pay for?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
Econimically depressed or not, that's only $375 a month in interest payments. What are rents like out there, $400?

I guess it's a lot of money in an economically depressed area, but if one could afford to put away $500 a month towards such a mortgage and their work is stable, then they're doing ok.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

gvibes posted:

Keep in mind that your "equity" could be invested in something with returns, so there is an opportunity cost as well.

If you have a $100k home with 100% equity, you are gaining 1-3% in appreciation, but could be getting 7-8% if invested, so you are losing out on 5-6% ($5-6k a year) that way.

Investing your equity for 7-8% would also require you to obtain a mortgage for the amount you just invested, reducing possible gains if your mortgage is in the 3-5% mark. Having 100% equity on your home gaining 1-3% appreciation also gains against the current mortgage rates in interest saved. Is the leverage worth the risk?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

quaint bucket posted:

long story short:

Our landlord is a nice person and has let us keep to ourselves and responded promptly whenever we had a problem (our garbage disposal machine passed on and she gave us the go-ahead to replace it and repaid us the cost of the part, letting me do the work) so we're happy to help her out the best we can.

My wife and I have recently found a new place to live (bought). Our landlord decided to sell the apartment. Wife and I were like, "ok, we'll help the best we can."

Enter the realtor. We made the place into a showroom condition whenever they decided to have an openhouse. We obliged.

They've had an open house every weekend for the last 4 weeks w/ no offers (I feel the price was too high). Needless to say, it's wearing on our patience and we would like to have the upcoming weekend to ourselves at home w/o being booted out for 4 hours.

Do we have any right to decline an openhouse for this weekend? This is in Canada, BC if it matters.

If they give you notice they can show when they like. But you have no obligation to leave or clean up so well.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

sanchez posted:

daggerdragon, I'd really like to see some photos when your kitchen is done, some of the stuff in your list is a result of luck and can't reliably be repeated (flooring and appliances) but the cabinets in particular sound very interesting.

The retail ones seem like a colossal racket to me as well, as you say, they're just wood boxes, why should wood boxes cost 5k or 10k for nice ones.

I don't know how much materials are where you are, but here a finished cabinet from Ikea is way cheaper than just buying the raw particle board and paint or melamine foil. Let alone the work to cut and joint perfectly cut pieces. The same goes if you want to buy finish quality plywood for stronger cabinets.

It's really no different than furniture making where you build something because you enjoy the process and holding on to the finished work whereas anything commercially built will always be cheaper and more professionally finished than a new-DIY.

If you're a carpenter with all the tools then it's a different story entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

The Ikea brand counter tops are pretty bad, they don't have corner pieces, so you just bump the front of one counter against the end of another, and there's a weird plastic piece that goes in between. I'm not sure if Ikea offers custom made laminate counters (mine has a bunch of granite and stuff), but if they don't go to a Home Depot or something and get them there. You'll spend a bit more, but they'll be a lot nicer.

As for Ikea cabinets, that poo poo is dead simple to put up,I've done it myself with my dad. You have to buy a metal rail for the upper cabinets, and then they all hook into and attach to that, rather than the wall. That means you don't have to worry about studs so much. The bottoms are also easy because they have legs you adjust individually. The hardest part of the base cabinets would be mitering the toe kick so it looks nice when you snap it onto the bases. My dad also put quarter-around all around the toe kick to tie it into the rest of the molding. Putting on counters can be a bit tricky, depending on how straight your wall is.

Yeah Ikea lacks real corner laminate counters, but on the flip side their corner joining pieces look better than a lot of cheaply done custom laminate counters where they join the laminate on a 45 angle anyways. Good laminate will use a larger sheet of formica rather than join two on a 45.

The other plus when I used an Ikea counter a few years ago was that the whole slab was a true 1 1/4" (or was it 1 1/2") thick rather than most which are 3/4" thick with a built-up edge profile.