Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FidgetyRat posted:

I personally would only buy a home if I had intention of spending the rest of my life in that location..

Yeah, but most people aren't like this and if they're in a reasonable financial position (as mlmp08 appears to be) there's no reason for them to do this if they want to spend their money on a house.

What I would suggest is doing the math; count the closing costs, property taxes, PMI, interest, etc. -- all the costs associated with home ownership -- and then subtract from them them the amount of equity that would be built in 5 years. While doing this it's important to remember that mortgages are typically front-loaded with interest early in the amortisation period, so if he's typical he'd probably be paying 3:1 interest:equity (that is, only 25% of the payment is going to equity) over the first 5 years of his mortgage

After he does the math, he'll know just how much he's paying for the house as opposed to how much he would pay to rent and he can decide for himself if that's a premium he'd like to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FidgetyRat posted:

When it comes to mortgages and homes, its always better to prepare and expect the worst then take a chance and risk financial ruin. I bet everyone in foreclosure now didn't expect the economy to come tumbling down around them.

It's just as ridiculous and unreasonable to expect the worst as it is to expect the best, and doing either will lead you to make bad financial and life choices.