Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~
I put down a $20,000 deposit on a 3 bedroom unit thats $401,000, to be finished being built in Feb March.

I will need to borrow about $360,000 (which i cant borrow on my own) so my parents are going to guarentor the remander against a block of land they own.

I clear about $900 a week, and am about to lose my job most likley. I dont need to apply for the loan though untill after the place is built.

Im in Australia, and i signed the contract 4 days before they increased the First Home Buyers grant from $7000 to $23,000. Bad timing huh?

Im happy and confident. Ill have another job by then, even if it is at lower pay. Ill have 2 other people moving in with me paying about $130 rent and helping with the utilities etc.

Rates are about 5.5%, and ill be paying Interest Only for about 5 years. I currently rent with some other people paying $155 a week, so from what ive worked out ill need to find an additional $50 a week in my budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Those numbers sound steep, but granted I don’t know what is customary in Australia. I’ll figure out your debt ratio and express everything as monthly.

You make $3900/mo and your friends will be paying $1128/mo. This adds up to $5027/mo. Your loan payment will be $1650/mo. Therefore your debt ratio will be almost 33%, and that’s before condo fees and before utilities. This is an interest only loan too, for housing only, and assumes you will always have both bedrooms 100% rented. Had you gotten a 30 year fixed, which is more responsible, your payment would be $2044, your debt ratio would be 41%.

This also assumes rates stay at 5.5%, however at least in the US rates have been creeping up as it appears the economy won’t barrel off a cliff and it sinks in the effect of the borrowing we are doing now will have on future rates. If your rates increase to 6.5%, which is not unreasonable, your debt ratio will be 39% for interest only, 45% for a 30 year fixed.

I linked to the calculators I used if you want to play around with the numbers

http://www.dinkytown.com/java/AUInterestOnly.html
http://www.dinkytown.com/java/AUMortgageLoan.html

The utilities are addional to the rent, and they will all be split 3 ways as well.

Ill be paying interest only for the first 5 years, then seeing where im at after then. If im with a chick and she moves in then ill have increased incoming and ill switch to principle, same if i have a higher wage by then.

The other possiblity is that i go halves in it with my parents, then later i buy them out if i want to stay there or they buy me out if they wanted to move there, or we sell it.

I anticipate living there though beyond 5 years time. The thing im wondering is should i be looking to pay principle and Interest now, to not waste the 5 years of interest.