Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

ManDingo posted:

I ran accross this article today and thought it might be worth posting.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-home-front/2009/06/12/will-the-8000-first-time-home-buyer-tax-credit-expand-to-15000.html

I highly doubt it will pass as the spike in mortgage rates seems to be falling again now. The only thing I worry about now is the effectivity dates. I would hate to have this pass next year and see my race to close before December 1st end up hurting me.

I just closed yesterday and $8000 is better than nothing, but $15k would be jaw-droppingly awesome. Hopefully this will apply to anything bought after 12/31/08.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

moana posted:

Yeah, that takes a lot longer than you'd think. We closed end of May and haven't gotten our rebate - we called the IRS and they said there's a huge backlog.

Ug, I filed for mine after closing June 30 and have heard a whole lot of nothing. I'm glad it's just a perk, not a necessity.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

geetee posted:

Ouch, sounds like I'll be waiting another month for mine... I'm doing lots of renovations, so having that money now would relieve a lot of stress. I could survive without it, but seeing the bank account numbers constantly dropping is painful.

Yeah, I closed June 30 so I assume I'll be waiting about another month. Jeez.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

geetee posted:

This a million times. I'm pretty sure the form says nothing about what proof you have to provide and it pisses me off. I keep reading about people having the IRS kick back their amendment requesting proof of ownership. I also keep reading about people waiting over 6 months and some waiting only 3 weeks for their credit. It sounds like such a clusterfuck.

I just want my money :cry:

I closed 6/30, mailed in the paperwork on 7/6. I called IRS after a few months, they said call back 10/13. I called then, they said paper work had been filed, expect a check in 4 weeks. So, it looks like a 4 month process for me in total, assuming I do get the check in the coming weeks haha

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

dwoloz posted:

3) Is projected income something they consider? ie is the income from renting out two bedrooms of the house considered? My research tells me I'd be looking at $600-$800 per month

When they were giving everyone and anyone a mortgage during the bubble, this was completely allowed to factor in but they have clamped down on this heavily.

In other news, I finally got my tax credit. Closed June 30th, got the check in the mail today...with interest!

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Bong Goblin posted:

So now that the credit has been extended, is it still a requirement that I be fully moved in to the house by November 30? I'm still dealing with what I'd call a severe fixer-upper, and it may or may not be completely ready by then (but it'd be minor, like not having an egress window installed in a bedroom, not having all the siding completely primed/painted.) Now that the credit is good until sometime next year, has the move-in deadline extended, too? I closed on the house in October.

But anyways, how does the IRS figure out who's moved in and who hasn't? I haven't looked at the form I need to fill out for next year's taxes, but I can't imagine what I'll have to provide for proof... an electric bill mailed to the new address? Simply the deed?

I included a copy of my Bill of Closing which had the closing date on it with my tax return.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

plan on living in it for a long time

I see people say this a decent amount, but what does "a long time" generally mean in terms of years?

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

IndyPunkOne posted:

Looks like long waits for those of us who closed after Nov 6.

I closed on June 30 and filed an addendum to my 2008 filings on July 6. Got my check 4 months later to the day.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
FYI regarding USAA: they are extremely picky with what they will give loans for. This probably helped them weather this crisis (which I am happy they remain strong, I love every aspect of their business), but I could not get a loan through them due to their restrictions on condos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Arkane posted:

IIRC, an amount under 10k can be gifted without tax implications. Additionally, the money would not be going towards the down payment, it would be going towards your debt. To pay them back, you can simply re-gift the money back to the relative.

eta: looked it up.....it's $13,000.

Just be careful with this because lenders generally want 3+ months of banking statements so a bunch of money suddenly appearing can be bad.