Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

moana posted:

You don't want an agent to be both the buying and selling agent though; they won't really be working for you in that case.

They may not be working for you in any case. The higher the selling price, the higher their commission. This does not necessarily mean that they will try to get you to pay more for a house, but it is something to watch for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Unless you are putting a significant amount down on that 40K car, your payments will be 750+ on a 5 year loan.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

I got the ball rolling on my re-fi. Note to others - refinancing, if you're not folding the costs into the loan (which I'm not...) - is expensive. :)

Depends on where you live. My refi was 660 bucks, though I didn't need a new appraisal.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

How'd you manage to not pay origination fees, etc.?

Sorry I didn't clarify this. I refinanced through the same bank, and there were no origination fees.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

GODDAMNIT

According to this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/07/BUL71AGACR.DTL&type=business, there are new higher income limits concerning the first time home buyer tax credit. If I had waited just 3 more months I would have qualified!!

Is there anything I can do about this? I bought my house in August.

Nope, you're screwed. The whole point of a stimulus is to spur new purchases, not give refunds for ones already gone by.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Well, we're locked into taking the bath on the sale of our current house. All contingencies have been removed and we close in like 8 days.

We just found out about some significant HOA violations on the house we are trying to buy (I guess the HOA doesn't like it when you don't pay their dues and then go and paint the house non-standard colors without approval, completely ignoring the documented procedures), and they are totally ignoring our repair list.

We might find ourselves temporarily homeless in two weeks if the seller continues to jerk us around. Hooray!

On the plus side, you can try to find a house without an HOA. I know some people like them, but man do they sound like a money draining pain in the rear end.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

belle of my ballz posted:

With it being winter and a recession housing prices are reasonable, I can get a VERY nice house for 300k or so.

I make a good wage, about 2100$ bi weekly after taxes. Have no bills whatsoever or obligations beyond paying for university ( 5k a year).

Why do you want to purchase a home that costs 5.5x your gross annual income? Why do you want to buy period? If you're 21-22, tying yourself to multiple properties will make it difficult to be mobile if you ever want to go somewhere else.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jassi007 posted:

E/N rant time.

So the sellers of the home we're under contract with are "appalled" at the estimate we got for some minor repairs after the home inspection.

There are a few water leaks, 1 section of pipe that needs replaced, 1 shut off valve that needs installed on a gas line, a circuit breaker replaced, 220v outlet installed, and some minor chimney repairs.

Total Estimate $850 with a possible $350 for a chimney liner since the contractor won't know the condition until he is up on the roof.

gently caress those people, water leaks and crumbling chimneys are safety and structural issues that need fixed. We told them what we feel needs done, they weren't interested in getting it taken care of, so we got an estimate for repairs, and they're balking at the price. Our contingency for inspection is up today, and if they don't make up their mind, I don't know. I don't want to walk away from this house, but these people make me want to stab something.

You could let the sellers make up your mind for you. Tell them that they fix it or you're walking.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tronester posted:

Is this really what closing costs are these days?

If you think you're being overcharged, go to another bank and see what their fees are. There's nothing binding you to your current broker.

Also, as a point of reference, I'll soon be doing my second refinance. On the first one, I refinanced through my existing bank. The costs ended up being about 664 dollars. The rate was also competitive, so they didn't just inflate that to recoup costs. However, this was also on a loan for 70K, and in a low cost of living area, and I didn't need to get my home reappraised, so it's fairly different from your situation.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

diremonk posted:

shooting down ones that I had found because "the neighborhoods are dark,"

I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

senor punk posted:

:ssh:

Who knew that buying could be cheaper than renting when you lie on your taxes?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

IANAL posted:

Oh yeah there are cracks.
They're all way beyond the sidewalk and in front of my garage (in my backyard, think driveway that wraps around house). The front half of the driveway is new.

If there was a person walking where the cracks are, I'd be greeting them with my shotgun. Regardless, unexpected to have to fix it within 2 months of receiving notice for an inspection that took place in June of last year.

They don't have to be a stranger to sue you.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Generally speaking, having someone who knows the local market very well, has a ton of relevant contacts, and is trained at negotiation is worth the 3% mark-up.

Having a realtor can be useful to help with paperwork and questions, but no one should be under the illusion that their buyer's agent is working to get them the lowest price possible on the cheapest home that they need. When you pay more for a house, they earn a larger commission.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ingraman posted:

So I have some money in the bank, and I'm thinking of buying a condo outright with cash and just paying the HOA fees as "rent". Renting a similar place here in MA would run about $1000+/month, vs the $250ish HOA fee. I think I'd save money vs renting even if I sell the place at a slight loss a few years in the future. Anyone see something wrong with this plan?

Closing costs and costs to sell the condo itself can easily hit 10% of the total cost of the home once you buy and then resell the condo. That can be a lot of money to throw away to costs in just a few years. It's hard to say though without knowing the purchase price of the condo itself.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

What I would like to know is how much of a chance there is of a bank giving us a loan for the house in the Midwest? My credit score is 740 (according to Experian. I think other credit bureaus may have me higher, but I haven't looked in two months.) My wife's score is probably higher. Quizzle calculates our debt-to-income ration at 35% and our monthly available cash at $2400.

If your DTI ratio is already at 35% for just your current house, there is little chance that you will get approved for a second mortgage in another state.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

What percentage of DTI do bankers dislike going above?

I believe 43% with an FHA is the highest around. For conventional, you're already at the limit.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Also you're not heating/cooling as many exterior walls, which helps a lot.

And most people move up in square footage when they move into a house. It's anecdotal, but of the 8 or so people I know who bought houses including myself, every one of them moved into a larger place than their apartment was.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

I'm paying $600 a month for rent right now in a really nice apartment...that happens to be located in the ghetto.

We're looking to buy next year and I'm pretty sure I'll be doubling my expenses, but really...6k for a roof?

I've gotten several quotes for a new roof for my 2 story 1700sq foot house and 2 car detatched garage. Average quote price has been 10K. How much do you think a new roof should cost?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jerkstore77 posted:

How's this for a state of the market. The sellers of the house we put an offer on received 6 offers, of which they sent a counter offer to 4, including us. Let the bidding war begin.

They also requested all contingincies be lifted after 17 days, which will be crazy trying to get FHA approval in that time frame especially since 17 days later will be Christmas. We countered leaving loan contingency at 30 days.

I'd be curious to know what kind of counter they made. If they didn't drop the price much, they might already have an offer that is close to what they want, or they might just be getting greedy since they had so many offers.

Either way though, I'd probably walk from a 4 way bidding war. Also, that 17 day contingency thing is nuts.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jerkstore77 posted:

Yeah my initial offer was at list price and we assume the 4 other offers were as well. They countered with a higher price which we actually exceeded a bit seeing how many other bidders were involved and how much we love the house.

I can't possibly imagine offering full list, getting told "no, I want more now", and then offering more than what they asked for the second time. Even if the price was still good, I think I'd be too pissed off at their tactics/wonder what else they were going to pull to bother.

The market I live in is not heated at all though, and I realize that things might be different. One of the few good things about living in flyover country I suppose.

Inept fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 10, 2011

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ElPottoGrande posted:

So I need to sell a place that will be a hard sell (market/carpet) that I can't improve (no money) in a limited time (less than a year).

If the carpet looks that bad, get someone to install some cheap stuff that doesn't look terrible (or put down throw rugs on the worst spots) and then put it on the market. Even in a bad market, if you price it right, someone will buy it, and really ~11 months is a good amount of time to have to sell a home in. Don't sell to people/companies that advertise that they'll buy your home. They'll low-ball the poo poo out of you because they want a guaranteed profit with as little work as possible.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

10-8 posted:

This is the problem. It appears that the FMV is not discounted to account for the crazy HOA setup you've got going on. But the next owner -- the person you try to sell to down the road -- is going to want that discount, which means that you're overpaying.

Yes, unless you're planning on staying in that house until you die and it's someone else's problem, you're going to have to resell that house. You're going a harder time doing that, and the price you pay now needs to reflect that, along with all of the HOA bullshit.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

If you had it all up front, you could buy a CD, but it sounds like you're actually putting some in every month. In which case, yeah, a savings account is your best bet; you do not want to risk that money in any way. You won't earn much interest, but on the other hand, inflation seems to still be quite low.

1 year CDs aren't worth it anyway. Unless you find a special promotion somewhere, you can't get above 1.2% on a 1 year CD right now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pweller posted:

Given that I should be able to pay up to 15% of my mortgage annually without penalty, can someone confirm that there isn't really any incentive for me to choose an amortization period shorter than 25 years?

If I wanted to pay the same monthly payments as under a 20 year mortgage for example, I wouldn't see any reduction in interest paid over the life of the mortgage compared to formally changing it to 20 year amortization right?

As long as the APR is the same for both, then it shouldn't matter. I'm not familiar at all with Canadian mortgages though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

We did the math the other day. 1000 mortgage payment + 350 condo fees (covers hot water and most utilities in typical buildings we looked at) + 50 for internet + 60 for our phones + 300 for food still leaves us with a lot of money for "other" and savings.

What does your overall budget look like now, and do you know if you can stick with it? I noticed you didn't include maintenance, and I'm not sure why you itemized food, but no other expenses. What about your European vacation costs? Also, are you saving for retirement at all?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

So let's say 1,000 mortgage, 350 condo fees, 50 electricity, 50 internet, 60 phones, 50 for insurance, 300 for food and generally staying alive, 100 for clothing and supplies and other general living expenses and lets just round that out to 2000 a month.

Maintenance, taxes? Also 300 for food for 2 people is not a lot. What transportation do you use? Even bus fare isn't negligible unless you only take it once a week or something. How long do you plan on living in that condo?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wow, a 15 year loan with no points is 2.5% at my bank right now. Time to refinance for the second time.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

What bank? I'm getting fed up with my credit union jerking me around on this refinance.

Sorry for the delayed response, but it's a smaller bank. I think they handle mortgages in Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri. https://www.bankwithbos.com/index.php

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

What kind of utility raises the unit price with higher consumption?

To be honest, this makes sense from a standpoint of trying to lower energy consumption.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

canyoneer posted:

If flippers didn't exist, who would keep the laminate flooring manufacturers in business?

Landlords. Dear god they love cheap laminate.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

I really can't fathom why goons hate home automation stuff so much :shrug:

It's expensive, there are many competing standards or in some cases no standards at all, companies removing products all of the time, time consuming and difficult for your average person to set up, and the companies are slow to release important security updates that would prevent all of your equipment from getting hacked. It's an industry that needs 5-10 more years before it is suitable for the masses.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That's an interesting chart, but why the hell are health and education lumped together? They're completely different fields.

^^^Ah, so it's actually a poo poo chart. A shart.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

If any of folks who were talking about buying in the bay area are still working on that you should really reconsider. poo poo is changing quickly, bail out if you still can.

The same advice is probably true to a lesser extent in NY and Colorado.

SELL SELL SELL

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sounds like an HOA board filled with petty assholes who got called petty assholes and decided to write language in that lets them fine people for calling them petty assholes.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What are we missing?

You seem fine so far, but from what I've heard of Utah, you either love it or hate it. A lot of people can't get over how everything is influenced by the Mormon church, and I hear the air pollution can sometimes be pretty terrible by Salt Lake City because there's no where for the air to go. I'd wait until you live there for a few months before going over all of the calculations. Even then, realize that you will need to live there for a long time before buying makes sense financially.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hadlock posted:

In a total 180, in north Carolina I think they recommend you apply for a permit after the fact, but it's not strictly required in all counties. Also the water table is not horrible so you're looking at like $4-8000 to drill

I would just pray your well never fails

and in NC pray that your well isn't near a Duke Energy coal ash pit since they all violate the clean water act but the lawsuits have somehow been tied up for a decade :shrug:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Good luck. You likely can't do that without refinancing and unless your LTV is well under 50% you'll pay in interest rate for the "privilege".

Did the norms change? I'm looking to buy for the first time in 15 years, but when I last did it, 20% down was enough to remove the escrow requirement. I think I had to pay a bullshit one time fee of ~$50, but that was it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

yeah but this time you're talking about peanuts, not multi-million dollar base salaries with tens of millions of dollars in stock options/bonuses.

If we say the median home price is $350k, 1% of that is 3,500. Assuming that's net of taxes, then with an effective tax rate of 20% we're saying that's $4,375 per house.

So if we say $100k/year gross is making good money, then as a realtor you have to close more than 23 houses a year.

Google tells me that most realtors close 2-10 per year, and some site is saying the median number is 12 I guess, so we're realistically looking more like $50k/year gross for being a real estate agent.

my impression of real estate agents is that a huge percentage of them only ever close on a few houses, and get in and out as the market booms and busts. it ends up being a lot like an MLM

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sundae posted:

Congratulations on... um... nothing unless you can sell it at that price point! Your previous owner sure didn't get appraised value for it. :v:

the county can point to it for why they're raising the assessed value of the home for property taxes next year :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Come on, don't buy cheap appliances with the expectation that the next owner can just replace them. Don't be a poo poo-flipper

I agree, but we also passed on viewing a house where they disclosed the built-in microwave and dishwasher were non-functional because if they left that poo poo broken, what else was going to be an issue we didn't want to deal with. Sometimes regardless of cost, people don't want a laundry list of poo poo that's broken that they'll have to fix before move-in.