Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just did a little googling about what happens when you pay more to a mortgage (short answer: pays off earlier, doesn't change monthly payment) and came across this article on MSN Money, which is a really good general "do this with your money" read:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/HomeFinancing/DontRushToPayOffThatMortgage.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
How are you paying $200/mo on PMI? I also doubt that the mortgage company would be able to track it down to being loaned money if it's sitting in your bank account as cash. You could basically just call it a gift from your father. I have no real idea though, just seems tough to track.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Shows what I know. I figured there was something along the lines of that "gifting" process.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Strict 9 posted:

Not sure. The bank quoted us around $180 for 15% down on a $400,000 house. Boston area.

Based upon my (incredibly rudimentary) knowledge of how PMI is calculated, that seems about double what it should be. Might be some extenuating circumstance I don't know about.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I don't know, you seem like you're in a pretty ideal situation. A mortgate payment that's ~22% of your gross income doesn't seem like anything to worry about, especially considering your other debt only amounts to ~$400/month. If you're nervous, live like a pauper as much as possible for the first few months to see how you're doing, rebuild your emergency fund, and maybe pay down your other debt.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

FidgetyRat posted:

Plus, keep in mind not all areas have had many drops at all.. The place where I'm buying in NJ has hardly fallen at all, and in fact our builder just raised prices 10k after he sold out the new section of the development in 2 weeks. Then again, things were never ridiculous down here to begin with, so maybe that has something to do with it. It is funny thought hat half the development that was finished before the recession hit is paying almost 2x the taxes then the rest of us.

It's the same general situation where I want to buy on the North side of Chicago. While my very relaxed, rudimentary tracking of condo values in the more desirable neighborhoods where I hope to buy at (Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Bucktown, Logan Square, etc.) indicates that prices don't really seem to be going up, they sure don't seem to be appreciably going down either. Deals can be found in the more fringe and non-gentrified areas that weren't there previously, but I'm not exactly keen on dodging bullets for 5-10 years while the hood gets shuffled out to either save a few bucks or profit a few bucks down the road.

Then again, all you have to do is drive 35 miles west to Plainfield to see vast tracts of empty sub-developments where they can't even give the houses away. Location, location, location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Tap posted:

That reminds me, what is the most ideal (or common) place to put money you expect to use for a down payment?

Savings account, money market or bonds.