Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
My husband and I have been pre approved for a loan (YAY) and we want to start to look at houses. How do you go about finding a good realtor? Everyone I've asked either didn't like theirs very much or the realtor they used is in a different county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I finally got a realtor from a friend's recommendation (who's in India right now - go figure) and we are going to see houses tonight and tomorrow. What are things to look for when you go through a house - roof, foundation, water damage etc? I know the home inspection will catch a lot of things later but I don't want to miss anything that's glaringly obvious that will save us from hassle down the road.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

roadhead posted:

Just came in here to vent.

I went through a firm my credit union uses for an FHA approval and it took us five days to get approved. We did the online "instant" approval and got a message that our situation required a bit more research. When I finally talked to someone on the phone, they just said that they are really backed up with FHA loans because so many people are applying these days.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Some of the pictures of houses we saw were in no way reflective of the current state of the house. Since so many houses are short sales/foreclosures, people really don't care about the state of their house or the house has been on the market for 6+ months and has fallen into disrepair. I also noticed that if there is only one picture of the inside of the house, that is the only redeeming quality of the house.

Too bad smell-o-web hasn't been invented yet because I wouldn't have checked out a few houses based on the smell alone. :gonk:

I close on my new house next week! :D

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I closed on our build to mortgage loan today. Hopefully we'll move in a year? We locked in at 4.125% which is lower than our current mortgage but not as good as some others who acted earlier. It's days like today where I feel like a little kid just pretending to be a grown up. They really let me buy a house for this much? Jokes on them I guess.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Not sure if I should ask in this or the regular home owner's thread but I'll start here. My husband and I are having a difference of opinion what to do to our current house to get it ready to sell. I'd rather focus on small, easy changes that would make the house more put together like paint and changing out drop ceiling tiles that are missing or stained. He wants to focus on larger stuff like replacing the carpet or adding a deck. We can afford both and we have time but is it worth spending on bigger projects to get the house to sell? Like how do you decide where we should draw the line at upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Thanks friends. I thought replacing carpet was a bad idea and he thought my cosmetic things were silly. Structurally the house is fine and we've replaced the roof, ac/furnace, gutters all in the last ten years so those are all good to go.